2nd Generation GE8 Specific Suspension & Brakes Sub-Forum Threads discussing suspension and brake related modifications for the 2nd generation Honda Fit (GE8)

Christmas comes early. Redshifts Koni/Groundcontrol Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 10:29 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
This + what Wanderer said.

If you dont want MEGA Low or need to corner weight for AutoX/Racing.

STR.T + Swift = What my GF will be on... eventually
I think that you, like I, prefer the koni yellows over the tokico hts... But what about the hts vs the str.t?

Old 07-12-2013, 02:04 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
Any updates on the kits taht haven't been sent out yet?
praying for a tracking number tomorrow. =[

Old 07-12-2013, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by solbrothers
Any updates on the kits taht haven't been sent out yet?
Brian and Ayrick going out today.
Matt and Noah shipping mid-August due to Koni front shock insert on backorder

Chris

Old 07-12-2013, 08:37 AM
Originally Posted by apexanimal
I think that you, like I, prefer the koni yellows over the tokico hts... But what about the hts vs the str.t?
Tokico HTS is adjustable (and not the right way) and expensive. Koni STR.T is not adjustable and WAY cheaper.

So, I would get the STR.T if I wanted a nice street shock. If I wanted a good performance shock, I would get STR.T front and Sport Yellow rear because it would be a far better result than the Tokico... I've run the adjustable Tokicos (Illuminas is what they used to be called), and they just are not as good. And I know people who have run them, including a guy I beat at the National Championship about 10 years ago who in later years told me he will never make that mistake again.

The Konis really are better.
Chris

Old 07-12-2013, 07:42 PM
5 Year Member
Great Write-Up Tyler! Maybe that's why the ride was so crazily harsh...

Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Special
Great Write-Up Tyler! Maybe that's why the ride was so crazily harsh...
I think it also had to do with the fronts! I did go higher up from where you were initially, but something was still off. It seemed like I was at the "top" of the possible adjustment height. So, I took them apart, cleaned the threads, and found there were more than 3" of threaded damper cartridge INSIDE the lower mount So, with some re tweaking, I was able to extend shock travel (I binned the S2 marshmallow soft bump stops and used the left over's from Konis ) and get pre load EXACTLY where I wanted it while adding some thrust bearings and getting WAY more possible height adjustment... And I'm at exactly 1 finger front gap, like barely not tucking tire on my 225/45R15's... Also got max negative camber over -4.0 Rides SOOOO good now!!!

Old 07-12-2013, 09:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris
Tokico HTS is adjustable (and not the right way) and expensive. Koni STR.T is not adjustable and WAY cheaper.

So, I would get the STR.T if I wanted a nice street shock. If I wanted a good performance shock, I would get STR.T front and Sport Yellow rear because it would be a far better result than the Tokico... I've run the adjustable Tokicos (Illuminas is what they used to be called), and they just are not as good. And I know people who have run them, including a guy I beat at the National Championship about 10 years ago who in later years told me he will never make that mistake again.

The Konis really are better.
Chris
I have a set of the hts that I bought when they were having their super sale end of last year... Was wondering about keeping them vs buying the yellow rear, and front something setup...

Old 07-15-2013, 07:22 AM
You could try the Tokico HTS in front, but the Koni Sport is better; so it will be better in back. Or just sell the Tokico HTS and run stock front and Koni rear until the STRT comes out for the front in 6 months or whatever it is.
Chris

Old 07-15-2013, 12:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by RedShiftChris
You could try the Tokico HTS in front, but the Koni Sport is better; so it will be better in back. Or just sell the Tokico HTS and run stock front and Koni rear until the STRT comes out for the front in 6 months or whatever it is.
Chris
Apexanimal: Having owned both setups, I can tell you without a doubt the Koni's are better on the rear. They are physically MUCH lager piston diameter wise, and the damping curve is FAR better.

If it were me, I would do something like Hootie just did, and get a set of Ground Control Coil over sleeve/perches, run the HTS up front (good enough for a FWD car) And run the Koni Yellows out back. The HTS we can confirm Fit's the GD as it was meant for it in the first place

I won't be betting that the GE suspension setups coming from Koni will be 100% fitment on back dating to our GD chassis....

Old 07-15-2013, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
E-mail from Koni as to Honda Fit.

Christopher,
Yes, both STR.t dampers and KONI sport yellow dampers are currently being reviewed. Though at this time we do not have and expected release date to when we can the release of these shocks as there are still several steps of approvals and manufacturing that must take place first.

Mason O’Hara
Technical Sales Representative
1961A International Way
Hebron, Ky. 41048
859 488-0324

Once they release these I will be calling Chris for a set of the fronts and maybe GCs. Maybe if there is a enough interest development will speed up.

Last edited by cjecpa; 07-15-2013 at 06:57 PM.
Old 07-21-2013, 06:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Apexanimal: Having owned both setups, I can tell you without a doubt the Koni's are better on the rear. They are physically MUCH lager piston diameter wise, and the damping curve is FAR better.

If it were me, I would do something like Hootie just did, and get a set of Ground Control Coil over sleeve/perches, run the HTS up front (good enough for a FWD car) And run the Koni Yellows out back. The HTS we can confirm Fit's the GD as it was meant for it in the first place

I won't be betting that the GE suspension setups coming from Koni will be 100% fitment on back dating to our GD chassis....
Is the koni yellow rear number still 8041-1359s?

What vendor do you all prefer/is least expensive?

Old 09-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Originally Posted by apexanimal
Is the koni yellow rear number still 8041-1359s?

What vendor do you all prefer/is least expensive?
Whaf happened with these?!

Does anyone know if the GC coilover kit for the CR-Z will fit on the Koni-Str for the fit?!

Old 08-27-2015, 10:42 PM
Originally Posted by pmt666
Whaf happened with these?!

Does anyone know if the GC coilover kit for the CR-Z will fit on the Koni-Str for the fit?!
almost same question. GC/eibach springs with koni yellow fit in rear?

Old 08-27-2015, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by space egg
almost same question. GC/eibach springs with koni yellow fit in rear?
There isn't an off the shelf yellow that is a direct fit. Redshift replaces the lower bushing so that it will work with the Fit's lower mount.

There is ONE GC kit that fits both, and likely all year Fits.

Old 09-14-2016, 06:19 PM
I have a couple people interested in the custom Koni coilovers again... anyone else? I am considering doing another run of custom/race sets like I have done a few times before. We don't really make anything off them... they are enough work that it's more for the love of doing it.

If you want something special, it's something I can do. Anyone else in for a Christmas present for themselves?

Chris