3rd Gen GK Specific Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Sub-Forum Threads discussing engine mods/swaps/tuning for the third generation GK Honda Fit.

Honda CVT Reflash or Reprogramming Tool

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2016, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
Honda CVT Reflash or Reprogramming Tool

Does anyone here know what the tool is called that Honda uses to reflash/reprogram the CVT (Like for the CVT recall)?

Old 03-09-2016, 09:56 PM
I was taking an I-car course today on Honda / Acura collision repair guidelines today at work. They touched on this subject briefly, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it right now. I'll check when back at the office tomorrow morning.
They did mention that Honda is apparently working with Snap-On tools regarding diagnostic software tooling, maybe that will open up some doors in the future.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:16 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bad/Andy/gk
I was taking an I-car course today on Honda / Acura collision repair guidelines today at work. They touched on this subject briefly, for the life of me I can't remember the name of it right now. I'll check when back at the office tomorrow morning.
They did mention that Honda is apparently working with Snap-On tools regarding diagnostic software tooling, maybe that will open up some doors in the future.

Excellent! Thank you for checking.

Old 03-09-2016, 10:26 PM
A bit off topic, but did you need to reflash your cvt?
And how does it feel with your mods?
Thanks

Old 03-10-2016, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Bad/Andy/gk
A bit off topic, but did you need to reflash your cvt?
Thanks
I believe I do need to reflash my CVT, to get more benefit out of the aftermarket cams I have installed. Reflash, meaning to move the 6500rpm max up to 7000-7100rpm or so. Even stock, I believe we can take advantage of pushing the max rpm up a tad. Notice that in all these dyno graphs, you never really see the power dropping off at it's peak. Even climbing still on a couple.

The dyno graphs from Bisimoto's N/A Fit, Ktuner and HPS have me convinced
of this. Even J's Racing in Japan. I'll post up below.

Bisimoto stock Fit
Name:  BisimotoFitPwrAug14_zpsdlalgwxv.jpg
Views: 1914
Size:  91.2 KB

HPS

Ktuner

Even take a look at J's Racing Japan Fit before and after tuning dyno graph

The car feels excellent as is. I just want to test to see if there is more I can take advantage of between what I'm seeing with these dyno graphs and the cams I have. Recently, I've been hitting 6600rpm vs my typical 6550rpm. I'd like for the needle to rest at 6800-7000rpm for testing. I won't push beyond 7000rpm to prevent valve float, etc.

Also, during full throttle runs, the CVT hits 6600rpm then slowly drifts back down to 6000rpm. It doesn't stay at 6600rpm. There may be a reason behind it but if it is going to drift back down, I'd rather it drift from 7000rpm to 6500rpm, keeping max power the whole time.

I'd like to do this for my own testing purposes. I wouldn't recommend anyone else try or do this.

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-10-2016 at 02:14 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 12:51 AM
5 Year Member
From a road race perspective, the only thing I'd watch out for is broken followers if you pull too high, its been the Achilles heel for a Honda civics and the earlier 4cyl Acuras at the track for years. Stiffer valve springs are a good idea. Just guessing based on the L15's lineage.. If I had to do anything to the top end, while I was in there,, I'd polish/peen and magnaflux the followers. Or find some really tough ones.. I assume someone makes some..

Old 03-10-2016, 02:26 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Myxalplyx
Does anyone here know what the tool is called that Honda uses to reflash/reprogram the CVT (Like for the CVT recall)?
The tool is called MVCI (by SPX). It's part of the HDS scanner package, it connects to the car and is the communication interface between the car and the laptop that has the HDS scantool program installed.

The calibration files (PCM software) for this particular update job are stored on the MVCI.

We have another interface for some other different software updates...where the files are stored on the laptop instead of the MVCI.

And it was recently announced that Honda will send us an entirely new and different interface tool to add to the collection soon.....I don't remember Snappy being mentioned though.

Old 03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
5 Year Member
CVT Info

Thank you for this really useful and helpful information. I will certainly look deeper into this to see what its capabilities are. +10 rep.

Links I'm saving for reference to look at later

Modular Vehicle Communications Interface (MVCI)

MVCI Users Guide

Last edited by Myxalplyx; 03-10-2016 at 02:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:57 PM
5 Year Member
Wonder if you can get a bore scope in to the tranny while its running and see the CVT shivs.. I know despite all the measurements they give me ,, when I'm putting a new belt on my Polaris Quad there is no substitute for actually looking at it while its running to see if its climbing high enough in the pulleys..

Old 06-15-2017, 03:43 AM
5 Year Member
CVT Tuning

Still no progress in this area. If only the peak rpm could be moved up another 500-1000rpm through tuning.

Never was able to get the peak rpm moved up with Ktuner because of the interaction with the CVT programming. Torque wouldn't be an issue since with cams, you wouldn't be generating any more torque. Just moving the torque you have further up in the power band, gaining horsepower.

PLEASE let me know if anyone finds out any developments with this. I'd LOVE t to take advantage of it as my car is pretty much sitting and waiting for changes in this area.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:26 AM
5 Year Member
Really interested to see how this plays out,,,,

FWIW,,, the chevy guys took like 5 years to get access to the programming on the 6l80 auto. And they don't change things up near as often as honda, and they make more of those transmissions per week than honda probably builds a year. The internal transmission controllers are a pain in the rear for tuning crowds of all marques..

Honda doesn't even cooperate with service manual companies any more.. Why would they release code for the transmissions? They want you to pay them to do everything.
And they have had just enough issues getting them right so they don't break shafts that there is no win for them in letting people hack the tranny controller.

Other brands have already started voiding warranty for reflashing the ECU in their cars/trucks, Both GM and FORD now have disclaimers for reflash and have voided warrantys... Especially on the diesel trucks.

We shall see!

Old 06-16-2017, 12:44 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks for the insight dwtaylorpdx. I just decided minutes ago to go back to my old stomping grounds back at my old love ...NASIOC (Subaru site). I was following a thread right when I got this car about someone modifying their Subaru WRX CVT but stopped following the thread. I am about to read it now.

Premium CVT build thread

He mentioned on page 55 about a torque pro app that you can use to monitor your CVT. He had a LOT of interesting information when I was first reading there years ago.

I will just leave with that. Gonna upload this plugin tomorrow and check it out.