General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

still no CVT in the US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2008, 02:26 AM
still no CVT in the US?

I prefer CVT (continuously variable transmission) than 5-speed automatic transmission, since it is more fuel efficient. It has been very common outside the United States, but in the US it is not very common, because the drivers in the US simply don't like it.

All Honda Fits outside the US can be equipped with CVT. I think Honda should at least give us a choice to select CVT in the Honda Fits that are shipped to the US.

Old 07-31-2008, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by chiu
I prefer CVT (continuously variable transmission) than 5-speed automatic transmission, since it is more fuel efficient. It has been very common outside the United States, but in the US it is not very common, because the drivers in the US simply don't like it.

All Honda Fits outside the US can be equipped with CVT. I think Honda should at least give us a choice to select CVT in the Honda Fits that are shipped to the US.
The new Jazz being introduced in Europe in October does not offer the CVT! An auto shift 6 speed manual is now the only option from the 5 sp manual.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by chiu
I prefer CVT (continuously variable transmission) than 5-speed automatic transmission, since it is more fuel efficient.

Only in the city, CVT's inherently have a lot more friction and at highway speeds it shows and it much less efficient than a 5 speed. Its the city they are optimized for, and most Americans spend over 60 minutes commuting on the highway to work, makes sense not to bring it over here, especially when everyone is looking at MPG's as a main reason for their purchase.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by boon4376
Only in the city, CVT's inherently have a lot more friction and at highway speeds it shows and it much less efficient than a 5 speed. Its the city they are optimized for, and most Americans spend over 60 minutes commuting on the highway to work, makes sense not to bring it over here, especially when everyone is looking at MPG's as a main reason for their purchase.
Ditto! CVT's also seem to have a lot higher failure rate and are more expensive to fix. Look at the problems Nissan has had with it's CVT's in the US.