General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

K&N Drop-In Filter = Better MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 11:28 AM
K&N Drop-In Filter = Better MPG?

Would installing a K&N or other brand of washable "high flow" air filter result in better MPG? Anyone with first hand experience would be great as I don't believe the whole "sale pitch" that these companies whip up to sell their products.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:02 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by ImPuLsIvE.ca
Would installing a K&N or other brand of washable "high flow" air filter result in better MPG? Anyone with first hand experience would be great as I don't believe the whole "sale pitch" that these companies whip up to sell their products.
When my intake was the stock box, the addition of the K&N drop-in filter added ZERO increase in mpg. Same is true with our '06 Scion.

Old 12-27-2007, 02:19 PM
What about getting a SRI or CAI? Has an increase/decrease been noticed at all?

I find the intake/engine noise to be pretty loud already, I don't think I even wanna know how loud it would get with an aftermarket intake.

Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
Banned
What about getting a SRI or CAI? Has an increase/decrease been noticed at all?

I find the intake/engine noise to be pretty loud already, I don't think I even wanna know how loud it would get with an aftermarket intake.
My SRI is not a good brand due to poor design, but excessive noise is not one of its problems. It is louder at WOT than stock, but not objectionable. Cruising at freeway speeds the intake noise is not noticeable. Based upon many other posts regarding various brands of SRI and CAI, the advantage of any of these is mainly a little extra power, not better fuel economy (but not necessarily worse, either). My low mileage '07 Sport AT gets an average of 34-35 mpg. Worst was 27 (2 passengers, huge ice chest, unloaded roof rack w/fairing). Best was 38.5 mpg, with a lot of mountain roads.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:52 PM
June 2007 3rd Place Fit of the Month Winner
5 Year Member
K&N drop in

I don't really notice any improvements in mine. It has always stayed in the 34-36 mpg. Mine is also a stock MT. The only thing that's nice is the ability to clean it and save money from buying a new one. I'm sure it did help, but I just don't notice it.

Old 12-30-2007, 05:22 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
Most people who get a WAI/CAI find their gas mileage decreases because they lead foot it more, knowlingly or not.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:19 PM
Someone that spends his life on FitFreak.net
It's very clever wording they use. Read the asterisk. It's only an improvement if you're replacing a dirty filter.

The car does feel a little faster, but it could be my mind playing tricks; the whistling noise that kinda sounds like a weak turbo may be fooling me.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:19 AM
5 Year Member
Likely minimal to none measurable if any.

More noise doesn't mean anything- not necessarily more power or better mpg.

Cold air intake looks nice but it suits the basic function of filtering air.

K&N filters (which I have used in 4 cars) works OK and is easy enough to clean about once yearly and re-use but costs a lot more than the basic OEM air filter which you can change about once a year.

Old 01-02-2008, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
It made a difference for me. I was definitely getting 1 mpg more after I put in the K&N filter. With the stock filter, I was getting consistently 38-39 mpg driving 80% highway and 20% city and with the K&N filter I was getting 39-40 mpg. I think 1-2 mpg increase if I drove more highway or drove slower (60-65mph). My 2cents.

Old 01-02-2008, 01:43 PM
5 Year Member
You know, I'm not sure about anyone else, but all of our vehicles have a K&N and not so much for an increase in power or MPG, but the savings alone is a big selling point. I just dropped $24.50 on a Honda air filter for the Fit because no one around here, AutoZone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys etc. sells an aftermarket air filter for the Fit. So if I buy two air filters for the Fit, I've already paid for the K&N. I'm going to order one in the spring.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:23 PM
dwp
The car's O2 sensor compensates for any flow increase or blockage due to air filter differences, dirty or otherwise. The fuel mileage will not change in modern cars.

K&N's can provide more flow at wide open throttle, which can boast HP (slightly). They also let in more dirt (per my experience and others), so your engine will wear quicker and be less efficient in the long run.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:36 PM
5 Year Member
We have extensive experience with the hipo air filters; except on the racetrack we found no useful improvement. Worse, reoiling those things have introduced several problems: fouled air meters and clogged filters because the oiling job wasn't as good as original.
There is an oiless filter called Blitzen than Subaru introduced that may be better.

Old 02-26-2008, 10:49 PM
5 Year Member
the only reason i'd get teh k&N would be the fact that you could clean it. not for teh gas mileage increase.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:39 PM
Thanks for asking the question. I was wondering about this myself. I won't bother with it now.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:10 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
This is good information I have been considering the K & N for my next project for my Fit - I took the car in Monday for the first oil change and talked to one of the service guys that I always talk to there - he said it would not void my warranty and that it is a really good filter. Glad to get some honest opinions.

Cat :x

Old 03-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I just ordered mine from Crutchfield and should get it Monday, though I'm may wait until the next weekend to install it. I also ordered a dead pedal through Zeta Products, which I'll have a friend of mine help me install.

I've used a K&N filter before on my old Saturn, and it didn't give me any trouble. At least I won't have to worry abou the K&N for around 3 years.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:57 PM
Cat
Someone that spends HER life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by henryd1981
I just ordered mine from Crutchfield and should get it Monday, though I'm may wait until the next weekend to install it. I also ordered a dead pedal through Zeta Products, which I'll have a friend of mine help me install.

I've used a K&N filter before on my old Saturn, and it didn't give me any trouble. At least I won't have to worry abou the K&N for around 3 years.

Henryd1981 - how much did it cost from Crutchfield? I have been looking around here and the K & N web site prices the pipe and filter for over $300.00 - I have a friend whose husband works for NAPA and he can get it for me at about $110.00 less but that still seems like a lot for the set up. I really wanted to do this but I am wondering now if it would really be worth it?

Old 03-13-2008, 08:07 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by Cat
Henryd1981 - how much did it cost from Crutchfield? I have been looking around here and the K & N web site prices the pipe and filter for over $300.00 - I have a friend whose husband works for NAPA and he can get it for me at about $110.00 less but that still seems like a lot for the set up. I really wanted to do this but I am wondering now if it would really be worth it?

Cat-
This thread concerns the K&N Drop-In filter. The $300. price that you were quoted was for the K&N Short Ram Intake. There is a huge thread on these forums that fully explains why this intake system DOES NOT FIT YOUR CAR. Buy that intake if you want to, but you will be ripped off. The drop-in filter works, the SRI intake is not made properly.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Originally Posted by Cat

I bought the drop-in filter for $39.99 plus shipping. I know I have to pay for shipping getting it through Crutchfield, but it's easier than ordering through the AutoZone across the street. I did that with my ION's filter, and the customer service there was a bit iffy. Crutchfield much better, hehe.

Old 11-26-2014, 02:19 AM
5 Year Member
Warning about K&N type of filters