General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Trading in the '13 AT Fit, here's why...

Old 04-25-2014, 11:02 AM
Trading in the '13 AT Fit, here's why...

Some of you may have seen my post a while ago about being rearended in February. Yeah, got the car back and its as good as new, truly, but I'm still in a lot of pain from the whiplash, the recovery is slow, and I'm nervous every time I get in my car.

I looked into the safety ratings and tried hard to make myself feel better about keeping my little blue scarab, but even though all cars are made much more safe than they used to be... a small car IS a small car. In Nashville TN, so many people have oversized vehicles, its just scary driving around here with all the terrible drivers, and everything else on the road, and being in that tiny car. Granted, its not the smallest car out there, but once you've been injured in a wreck, it opens your eyes. That force from the crash goes somewhere, and unfortunately, being in the car at the time, my body was one of the pathways of that force. If you saw my exrays from yesterday (had to change chiropractors) you might agree.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of their Fits, they're awesome little cars, and my husband is keeping his... but I need a big sedan. Its what I'm used to... and interstate commuting, well, its a scary place in this state.

I'm getting a 2014 Honda Accord LX this evening - gold.

Old 04-25-2014, 01:48 PM
Sorry to hear that, good luck with your recovery!

Old 04-25-2014, 10:52 PM
5 Year Member
Hey, at least you're still in the Honda family. Hope the new car is a blessing for you and you feel Ok driving it.

Old 05-23-2014, 04:13 PM
Sorry to hear that. Hope you recover ok. I grew up and lived in the rural and suburban South most of my life and I agree with you about the fear of so many oversized vehicles and bad driving. I've always wanted to be responsible and pragmatic by always driving small efficient nimble cars, but it sucks that you're taking chances with your own life because of vehicle trends or selfishness of society around you.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:22 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DeltaBond

You won't regret it. Our gold '13 Accord with the 4-banger gets about the same gas mileage as our Fit (on the kind of driving we do with it). It is so much quieter, too, with the active noise canceling through the audio system. The downside is that if you want to haul more than suitcases, you are pretty much out of luck. I know you will enjoy the car, and someone else will love your Fit.

Cheers.

Old 06-22-2014, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by DeltaBond
Some of you may have seen my post a while ago about being rearended in February. Yeah, got the car back and its as good as new, truly, but I'm still in a lot of pain from the whiplash, the recovery is slow, and I'm nervous every time I get in my car.

I looked into the safety ratings and tried hard to make myself feel better about keeping my little blue scarab, but even though all cars are made much more safe than they used to be... a small car IS a small car. In Nashville TN, so many people have oversized vehicles, its just scary driving around here with all the terrible drivers, and everything else on the road, and being in that tiny car. Granted, its not the smallest car out there, but once you've been injured in a wreck, it opens your eyes. That force from the crash goes somewhere, and unfortunately, being in the car at the time, my body was one of the pathways of that force. If you saw my exrays from yesterday (had to change chiropractors) you might agree.

I'm not trying to talk anyone out of their Fits, they're awesome little cars, and my husband is keeping his... but I need a big sedan. Its what I'm used to... and interstate commuting, well, its a scary place in this state.

Also being from Nashville, I feel your pain (not literally, of course).

I used to drive a Miata. Imagine THAT here in NashVegas! Not much better than a motorcycle. I can't tell you how many times I was almost hit by careless drivers. At least with the Fit, it's more visible being a lot taller, plus, I've got one of the orange '98s. It's sticks out a lot better than my emerald green Miata. If my Miata hadn't been stolen, I wouldn't be in this Fit today. I still pine for the Miata because of the driving pleasures, but the Fit is pretty fun to drive as well considering how tall it is. Plus, I can get a small pony in the back.

Old 06-22-2014, 10:56 AM
I too may make the decision to trade in my lovely 2013 Fit. (Never thought I 'd be having serious regrets about this purchase...I am overjoyed with the versatility of the interior.) Four problems: 1) front seats are uncomfortable 2) car is low to ground and may easily encounter road debris 3) undercarriage makes alarming clunking sounds when on the slightest of uneven ground 4) THE CLINCHER! I live in Texas. On a trip as short as 30 minutes, the AC begins to cycle off! I have learned from this forum that there is a tricky and inexpensive DIY cure but Honda North America is denying there is a problem. (I just wonder if this serious AC problem has been fixed on the 2015 model? This is my third Honda

Old 06-22-2014, 11:21 AM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately you must drive very defensively everywhere regardless of what you drive unless you are driving a tank.

Old 06-22-2014, 03:13 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyboybob
Unfortunately you must drive very defensively everywhere regardless of what you drive unless you are driving a tank.
So true. That's the real lesson here.

Cheers.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:20 PM
I'm from Tennessee too. We have a '13 Accord that always gets 36mpg. I would have bought another if it wasn't for the $7000 difference and small trunk. The odd thing is you can depreciate a 6,000 lb auto over 2 years. Big and heavy cars should be paying a big and heavy tax instead of getting a tax break.
Hope you feel better. Love the gold color.

Last edited by goConcrcete; 06-22-2014 at 04:25 PM. Reason: Wrong button
Old 06-25-2014, 01:08 AM
5 Year Member
Sometimes a smaller fit is safer than an accord. Accord is a bigger target. You are also carrying more weight, so it will be transferred somewhere during the accident, and maybe through the body, creating more damage.
Accord is a safe car, but it's still more about the driver's skills and luck.
Don't have a false sense of security. Watch cars in your rear view mirror and get ready to get out of the way.

Old 06-25-2014, 12:16 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
those new accord sedans are nice!

and wats most important is that you, the driver, is comfortable driving your car.
congrats on the new ride. and wishing you the best for a quick full recovery.

Old 11-27-2014, 12:48 AM
I plowed my '08 Fit into the back of a truck. Fit was totaled. I went out and bought the same '08 Fit 2 weeks later. Why? Because I came out of a bad accident without a scratch on me. The seat belt saved me, never got near the exploding air bag, and the front crumpled and the frame cave in just like it should have. Then again, a rear hit is always worse. I live in Pittsburgh and have always enjoyed a smaller car. My daughter has a Civic...she hates my Fit!

Old 11-27-2014, 01:11 AM
I'd have to agree. in a crash big> small. My Fit was smashed into by a toyota fjc and now big cars make me antsy. still not sure what we'll end up with.

But I am thankful my little Fit kept me and my son safe.