Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

DIY windshield star crack repair?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2007, 01:45 AM
5 Year Member
DIY windshield star crack repair?

I now have a small star-shaped crack right in the middle of my windshield. I don't have glass coverage on my insurance so I was looking into repair options. Cheapest seems to be ~$50 to have the crack filled with resin.

Anyone know where or how a windshield repair kit can be purchased? I was going to head over to Pep Boys tomorrow to see what is in stock.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:55 AM
5 Year Member
i don't recommend doing it urself. Take it to a professional to get it filled in because they should guarentee that if the crack spreads, they will replace the windshield. Those DIY things are junk i tried it and it didn't do anything but cause more damage and the crack spidered out even more. Just save urself the trouble and look in the yellow pages for ur area for a good windshield repair place.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:32 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
dont get it filled, my family has done this for yeeears

get thin super glue, watery not THICK and put a DAB and i mean smallest drop right in the center, and it wont spread,

but it will still be noticable, my technique just keeps it from spreading lol

Old 08-18-2007, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Correction - cheapest in my hood is apparently $70 when all is said and done with. Sometimes I hate living in the Bay area. Every kind of service is way overpriced.

So this morning I found the repair kit at Pep Boys for $10. Half way through the repair right now.

Old 08-18-2007, 02:14 PM
5 Year Member
Ther way I see it, you have nothing to loose. If you do not do anything, it will eventualy spread.
I think that spending $70 at highly reputable auto glas repair shop is still far less that $350 (I just got a quote from Acme Glass) and if it spreads they will replace the windshield. That is new, $350, windshield for $70!
If you decide to go cheap route go to Walmart. I got it for my CRX few years back for $5. I blowed it with compresed air, sprayed some alcohol from a spray bottle and blowed it with compressed air again. I let it air dry some more and then injected the kit as per package instructions. It lasted for couple of years, but eventualy spread.
Bear in mind my CRX has full suspension set up with Koni yellows and Kg/mm springs, ST swaybars,....
You get the picture. It was a miracle it lasted even that long.
As far as Fit's windshield durability, I do not know what to think. Some people report it breaks on it's own while mine has two big chunks of glass, side by side missing, some spider web cracks around them and darn thing stil won't break! I am pissed because insurance would like to "fix" the glass and I would like it replaced. Time is on my side. It will break first week of September, trust me!
Good luck man.

Old 08-18-2007, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
Okay everything is finished and after the repair, the star crack is more or less invisible. As for whether or not this will crack more in the future, I have no doubt that it will. I think for under ten bucks these kits do a reasonably good job, as a temporary measure. After browsing a few threads here it seems that the windshield is one of the Fit's weak points. When the rock chipped the glass it took out a few sliver-sized chunks in addition to the crack, more damage than with my previous cars. In the future I'll get it replaced, but need to figure out how to put glass coverage back in my insurance first.

Last edited by leandro82; 08-18-2007 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 04:16 PM
Just for anyone else who cares, another cheap way to do it is go to get a small tube of silicon with the needle end adaptor (as in, not the caulking gun tubes), clean out the crack, press the applicator against the middle of the crack, and squeeze. Then take a razorblade and scrape away all the overflow. Youll see that its actually filling the crack because the silicon escapes out of the edges, not just where the applicator end is.

It works fairly well, i used it on my old civic, and it diminishes the look of the crack. You can still see it, but it wont spread. I did mine in the middle of the winter, so it was constantly being heated and cooled. Lasted atleast 5 months before i got rid of that car.

Old 07-19-2023, 01:55 AM
Consider using Crack Eraser's windshield repair resin collection to fix the small star-shaped crack in your windshield. It's a cost-effective solution that can prevent the crack from spreading further. Check it out here:<!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->https://crackeraser.com/collections/...d-repair-resin. You can also explore options at Pep Boys for in-store kits. Act early to save on potential replacement costs. Good luck with your repair!

Old 07-20-2023, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Uh, his post was back in 2007, 16 years ago, so I would imagine the problem was taken care of a long time ago.