Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Anyone wired Aftermarket CC with OEM controls?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2008, 10:20 PM
Anyone wired Aftermarket CC with OEM controls?

I know there's a few threads about installing aftermarket cruise control units on a base fit.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully wired up one of the after market kits, like the xk601(or whatever it is) with the oem controls.

Bernardi parts has the steering wheel controls for like $50. so it might be possible...i think.

Any luck?

Old 12-05-2008, 10:41 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Interstate526
I know there's a few threads about installing aftermarket cruise control units on a base fit.

I was wondering if anyone has successfully wired up one of the after market kits, like the xk601(or whatever it is) with the oem controls.

Bernardi parts has the steering wheel controls for like $50. so it might be possible...i think.

Any luck?
The only reason I DID NOT do it is because the coil pack, in the steering column may not have had enough conductors to achieve this mod....

^You can see the cruise control stalk here, though its blurry.

As you see, I installed the leather wheel and it originally had the OEM cruise stuff on it...

BUT, the coil pack that carries the electrical connections through the steering column didn't seem to have enough connections (CONDUCTORS), at the cal pak (old-school term ~ I'm old : ) to make it happen!

The coil pack carries the electrical connections from the horn and airbag (and cruise, usually) through the column. It rotates, just enough, in each direction and with the turn of the steering wheel.

Plus, my wife was calling for me to come in and carve the turkey.

Last edited by theloxmyth; 12-05-2008 at 10:44 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 02:24 AM
hmm...so if somehow you drew power from the coil...you might not have enough power for the airbag???

oh, and where did you get the leather wheel?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:25 AM
im a little confused...do you think it would be possible to run extra wires up there?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:35 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
Talking Hope this clarifies things a bit.

im a little confused...do you think it would be possible to run extra wires up there?
You'd need to plug-in to the cable reel (coil reel).

It MIGHT have enough conductors. I'm now sure.

I was in a hurry when I replaced my base wheel with the sport wheel, but I thought, when I looked, that it appeared to have fewer conductors. I was in a hurry, though!

This is the cable reel that allows the steering wheel to turn and yet maintain electrical continuity, through the cable reel, for the horn, SRS, cruise and paddle shifter circuitry.

Otherwise, don't think you can provide enough slack to let the wheel turn without going through it!

HTH!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:40 PM
i'm thinking that if you can replace the cable reel with the sport one, it might work. it seems like it would require quite a bit of work.

At this point i'm just deciding if cruise control is worth the $400, plus all that time. I think if i did it, I would go all the way and have the oem controls though. I like the clean look and ease of use in that location.

thanks for the help.

Old 12-06-2008, 04:12 PM
Fit Gadget Freak
5 Year Member
I like the clean look and ease of use in that location.

thanks for the help.
I simply needed cruise control for convenience sake.

I was quite please that, with the drive-by-wire set-up, cruise was available as an after-market add-on.

I gotta have my gadgets!

Old 09-11-2010, 12:34 PM
I thought I'd give an update on this thread regarding the 2010 base Fit. I've successfully installed the Rostra cruise kit and I've been looking at installing the OEM controls for a while now (I have the switch assembly).

However, it's going to be more difficult than I had originally thought. Here are the additional steps that I think will be necessary:

1) Take off the steering wheel, take it fully apart, and replace the cable reel with the Sport cable reel since the base cable reel doesn't seem to have enough connectors (I found the reel on bernardiparts.com for about $125). I'm not completely convinced that that's the cheapest way to do it though, since the cable reel appears to have a few connectors that plug into it and I'd be surprised if Honda would make a completely different core part for the base vs. sport cable reel.

2) Modify the cruise switch assembly to add an extra wire and remove the multiplexing on the Cancel switch. By default, the Cancel switch uses a simple diode circuit to activate both the Set and the Reset wires. I had to cut a couple of traces on the circuit board inside the switch assembly and solder an extra wire, but I've already got this working well. To get this extra wire through the cable reel, I'm going to use one of the connections that would run a paddle switch in the Sport model, and wire it up to the clutch switch on the kit since I have an AT.

3) Build a simple solid-state switching circuit since the Rostra kit wants to run 12 volts through the controls. Based on talking with some folks at my dealership, and the fact that the cable reel wires are pretty small-gauge, I don't think running 12v through the cable reel is a good idea. I'm going to use 2-3v and some transistors instead.

So I guess the research I have left to do is 1) confirm that buying the Sport cable reel is the best/cheapest way to get the extra connections I need, 2) find a place to source 5v or less from the steering column area [or just use the 12v from the cruise box and scale it down, which might not work...], and 3) hopefully figure out how the instrument illumination works in the sport model steering wheel. In the base model there's only one wire going into the non-airbag connectors of the cable reel, which is the horn.

For 2) and 3), I'd really like to get my hands on some electrical schematics for the steering column area, for both base and sport.

Anybody got any ideas, or has anybody made similar progress? Like I said, this is turning out to be much more difficult than I had originally thought. I'll have to be very careful when dealing with the airbag wiring, but damnit I'm going to get this working eventually!