Fit DIY: Repair & Maintenance Threads discussing repairs and maintenance you can do yourself

Weird CLUTCH sensation w. 2010 W/ 200 miles

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2010, 11:36 AM
Weird CLUTCH sensation w. 2010 W/ 200 miles

Have about 200 miles on our new base 2010 and I'm noticing a weird "sensation" through the clutch.

The feeling is only noticeable when engaging/releasing during upshifts, and never at the moment when it's pushed in to the floor (for example a sudden brake). It would best be described as a light "buzz" or drone, like you can feel the flywheel spinning or the engine vibrating. That's the only way I can describe it. Very subtle, but noticeable.

My wife drove the car for most of the first 200 miles, so I can't pinpoint where it stopped or started. FYI we've both been driving manuals all our lives (trucks and VW diesels).

I've never felt anything like this on other vehicles, so I'm wondering if it's just the car or something the dealer needs to take a look at.

Old 06-27-2010, 11:45 AM
Is clutch going to the floor on all shift - up/down??

Old 06-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Yeah, the vibrations are midway between releasing from the floor or pushing to the floor.

Like I said, it's very subtle, but I've never felt anything like it. But the clutch on the fit is not near as tight as a pickup truck ir VW diesel either. Feels much lighter, so I'm wondering if it's just a characteristic of the car.

Last edited by slvrfit; 06-27-2010 at 11:52 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by slvrfit
Like I said, it's very subtle, but I've never felt anything like it. But the clutch on the fit is not near as tight as a pickup truck ir VW diesel either. Feels much lighter, so I'm wondering if it's just a characteristic of the car.
I think you've identified the "problem".

The FIT clutch is as good as a clutch can be in this class vehicle, takes a bit of getting used to.

You'll soon realize that the car is a balance of minimums that do FIT together well.

At 200miles you're really just beginning, as you know. Go easy for at least 1K and watch the MPG's climb. Drive it as softly as you can and learn that top gear can go 40MPH.

These FIT's break-in nicely and, in my case, provided and enjoyable learning curve - and at 63yrs that kinda sweet. I've got a 45yr history of standard transmissions and most recently broke in a Yaris. That clutch really threw me - I would stall it dead just like it was the first time.

K_C_

Old 06-27-2010, 12:15 PM
That's basically what I was thinking, it's just a characteristic of the car.

BTW, had the same experience with a Yaris myself. Took it for a test drive and couldn't get used to that clutch, it's just so light! Syncing first into second properly was difficult, even the salesman couldn't do it without buring the thing. Course it evens out once you get used to it, but it's pretty different.

Old 06-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Wait till you're up around 2200miles and start "winding" it out. 4K RPM is nothing on this engine. Honda motors have a huge fun factor I'm learning, that's why it's cool keeping the RPM's down to get to know things, then start getting into it - your FIT will drive hard when it's ready.

Have you accepted the fact that your first oil change will not be until, oh let's say 7K miles???

Old 06-27-2010, 01:54 PM
5 Year Member
I get a very muted clutch chatter, like it's slipping, when I hold it at just the right place while giving it a tiny bit of gas sometimes.

Something that contributes to the feeling are the rubber band motor mounts. Never driven another manual Fit to compare it to, but it almost feels like one of mine is broken. Who knows what the previous owner did. I get a pretty bad clunk when shifting hard into second. There are videos on youtube of people chirping second, but that may require a few mods and suspension work. I don't think I could get mine to do it in stock form.

Old 07-18-2010, 07:43 PM
5 Year Member
Unless you've removed the clutch delay valve (CDV), you're probably feeling the clutch system automatically slip the clutch for you--via the CDV. The CDV is even more likely if the sensation and sounds changes with outside temperature.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:46 PM
Originally Posted by mkchiu
Unless you've removed the clutch delay valve (CDV), you're probably feeling the clutch system automatically slip the clutch for you--via the CDV. The CDV is even more likely if the sensation and sounds changes with outside temperature.
Not sure I follow you.... Clutch Delay Valve?? Where do I find it.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:19 AM
Kudos to mkchiu

The CDV 'controls' the clutch engagement. It's sole purpose seems to be to allow those not farmiliar with driving a standard transmission the ability to do so... in other words it's dumb'd down the clutch. A new lowest common denominator.

From what I've learned the GE8 CDV is in the master cylinder without a way to modify it.

To eliminate it you would need to replace the MC. I have been lead to this as a replacement: Club RSX.com: Omni-Power Clutch Master Cylinder: Acura RSX

Not sure I would want to go that way, just something I need to learn to live with. It does explain the shifting characteristics of the FIT, and in my case, as well as the Yaris. Both these cars really threw me when first driving them and it's the clutch engagement characteristics that are doing it, thanks to that cute little CDV - thank you Honda NOT.

K_C_

Old 07-19-2010, 10:28 AM
5 Year Member
Don't go overboard with babying the engine during break-in. The rings need to seat, and the usual recommendation is to vary your driving speed as much as possible for the first few hundred miles. Lots of short trips are best; short hills are nice, if you have them. The idea is to load the rings during acceleration, then allow them to suck up some oil during deceleration, as well to go through lots of heating/cooling cycles with short trips. At 12,000 miles, the engine appears to be using no more than an ounce or two of oil between oil changes; oil level drop on the dipstick is barely visible.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by Selden
Don't go overboard with babying the engine during break-in. The rings need to seat, and the usual recommendation is to vary your driving speed as much as possible for the first few hundred miles. Lots of short trips are best; short hills are nice, if you have them. The idea is to load the rings during acceleration, then allow them to suck up some oil during deceleration, as well to go through lots of heating/cooling cycles with short trips. At 12,000 miles, the engine appears to be using no more than an ounce or two of oil between oil changes; oil level drop on the dipstick is barely visible.
Well said Selden.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Krimson_Cardnal
The CDV 'controls' the clutch engagement. It's sole purpose seems to be to allow those not farmiliar with driving a standard transmission the ability to do so... in other words it's dumb'd down the clutch. A new lowest common denominator.

Not sure I would want to go that way, just something I need to learn to live with. It does explain the shifting characteristics of the FIT, and in my case, as well as the Yaris. Both these cars really threw me when first driving them and it's the clutch engagement characteristics that are doing it, thanks to that cute little CDV - thank you Honda NOT.

K_C_
A CDV also slows shifts and warranty claims from would-be racers.

I'm not so harsh about Honda. BMW uses CDVs too, although they're supposed to be easier to replace.

I suspect either dry dual clutch transmissions or CVTs are the future for low torque vehicles. MTs are too complex for the daily texting, grooming, and other commute rituals.