Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

When to Clean Intake Filter

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2007, 08:08 AM
When to Clean Intake Filter

This may sound like a stupid question, but how often should I clean my CAI's filter?

Old 04-16-2007, 09:17 AM
I make it a point to clean mine when I change my oil. Other than that, if I'm poking around in between oil changes and see that the filter looks really dirty or there's a bunch of stuff caked all over it, I'll clean it then also. Most of the time it's just at my regular oil change interval though.

Old 04-16-2007, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by tlohman81
I make it a point to clean mine when I change my oil. Other than that, if I'm poking around in between oil changes and see that the filter looks really dirty or there's a bunch of stuff caked all over it, I'll clean it then also. Most of the time it's just at my regular oil change interval though.
what should i clean it with? just good old soap and water or anything in particular?

Old 04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
I should have also mentioned, that some aftermarket intakes come with replaceable filters on them so before you take it off and start cleaning it, make sure that it is a "cleanable" kind of filter. There's also one other important thing you should know before you attempt to clean the filter. There are some companies that are now making some new kind of filter. I honestly can't remember what they're calling it but I do know you're not supposed to oil it afterwards so make sure you know which kind you have. If you don't know what you have, you can always check out the manufacturer's website or give them a call and they should help you out no problem. I've always used K&N's filter recharge kit. I think it's like $15 or so and works pretty good. Make sure to let the cleaner sit on the filter for a little bit before you rinse it off. Make sure to rinse from the inside of the filter (Opposite the direction air would pass through it when it's attached to your car)!! This is important. If you're rinsing it from the outside of the filter towards the inside, you could be forcing dirt and other small particles into your filter. You want to wash the dirt out, not push it in farther. After you wash it, let it dry out and then, if required, lightly oil the filter. Make sure not to use too much oil. Let the filter dry and then reinstall it.

Old 04-16-2007, 11:43 AM
Banned
I think that AEM makes intakes (SRI & CAI) with "dry" (no oiling) filters.