Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 06:20 PM
5 Year Member
DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping

Disclaimer: The following is provided as a GUIDE ONLY, and neither myself, nor FITFREAK.NET endorse, recommend, encourage nor take any responsibility for the outcome of someone else doing the following. You follow these steps at your own risk!

--------------------------------------------------------

The eDead I bought on eBay from Elemental Designs, but you can get it cheaper from the actual website Elemental Designs and use the 20% off coupon that is floating around in their forums. It was about $65 shipped after the 20% off coupon for 60 sqft and I paid $70 for 60 sqft but also got a roller. You don't really need the roller, but it is nice to have.

The neoprene and adhesive spray I purchased from The Foam Factory. Here's a directly link Neoprene Sheets, Rubber, Poker Table Foam, Neoprene Pads. I got two rolls of the 72"x42" Neoprene High Quality 1/4" Thick. I paid $51 shipped for a total of 48 sqft of neoprene and one can of adhesive spray.

The 3M All-Weather Duct Tape cost less than $6 at your local autoparts store.

To make the job easier you may want some GooGone to take off the sticky mess that holds the plastic sheet to the door inbetween the door panel and the door. You also need some rubbing (denatured) alcohol to clean up the areas before applying the sound deadening. A measure tape, box cutter, and a wooden block also are helpful.

-------------------------------------------------

I put eDead V1.2 in the following areas.

- Single layer inside and outside (door panel side) of front doors.
- Single layer inside of rear doors and just covered up the holes on the outside part of the door (door panel side).
- Single layer in entire trunk plus a second layer over the areas that had OEM sound deadening.
- Single layer over rear wheel wells plus a second layer on the areas that hard OEM sound deadening.

I put a single layer of closed-cell neoprene in the following areas.

- All the door panels
- Trunk
- Rear wheel wells

I bought 60 sqft of eDead V1.2 and 48 sqft of neoprene and one can of adhesive spray. I have some eDead left just enough to finish the rear outside of the doors if I wanted to. I am guessing about 5 sqft left. I may use it to do the hatch door since it is small. I have at least 15 sqft of neoprene left and half a bottle of the adhesive spray. I also decided to buy some 3M All-Weather Duct Tape and make sure the eDead doesnt fall apart on me. lol I used up 3/4 of the roll.

-----------------------------------------------------------

The tools I used

OEM Sound Deadening

First sheets of eDead

Finished up with the neoprene

eDeaded the inside and little on the outside of the rear door

neoprened the rear door panel

clean front door with the inside eDeaded

Pic of the holes I cut after laying down the eDead

eDead completed inside/out

neoprened the front door panel

Last edited by smeister; 05-06-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 04-10-2007, 06:24 PM
I'm interested as well. I was thinking about dynamating the whole trunk area.

Old 04-10-2007, 06:32 PM
5 Year Member
I think this may be one of my favorite mods! I hope to add only 20ish lbs of this stuff and be satisfied with the sound level.

Old 04-10-2007, 07:56 PM
I'd recommend the doors at the moment and perhaps the rear hatch. Of course, if you wanted to go a little further, I'd pull the seats, front and rear and carpet and dynamat under there too.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:43 PM
5 Year Member
I'll start with the doors and see. I may want to do the rear wheel wells next or the firewall all depending on my listening test. Right now, it seems like there is a lot of noise coming from the engine bay, but I read that most of the sound is from the doors and the wheel wells. I am also thinking about putting some of the sound deadening stuff underneath the hood.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:59 PM
killing noise

having done this for to many years the best "bang for the buck" is getting
the dynamat extreme trunk kit to start and then the floor's would be next
the stuff is ez to use. roll it out on the drive-way and get softer. next trick is to use some cardboard and cut out the patterns of where your going to put the dynamat then use that pattern to cut the dynamat and, don't throw out the small "scraps" those scraps work in places that have a rattle. I know that most would do the doors first but, most of the noise is from below you ie..tires,headers,going 80+ on a bad road....

Old 04-10-2007, 09:12 PM
5 Year Member
Hmmm...I'll take your advice in consideration. I think I just have to do more research tomorrow about where to start the sound deadening. I didn't buy the expensive stuff, but I did get butyl material. It is the new batch of eDead V1. It should be sufficient since I can always layer it if it isnt thick enough. I only bought 60sqft because I was afraid I might go crazy with it hahaha.

Old 04-11-2007, 03:15 PM
5 Year Member
Alright, I broke down and got 48 sqft of neoprene too.

I calculated how much the 60 sqft of eDead V1 weights and it comes out to 16.8 lbs. The neoprene is probably going to weight a lot more depending how much of it I will put in. I'll get an estimate of how much the neoprene weights once I get the shipping weight of the package.

Old 04-19-2007, 08:20 AM
5 Year Member
The neoprene weights next to nothing. I am guessing the total weight of about 2-3 lbs. It is a lot of work, but I am almost done...will have plenty of pics up soon.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:17 AM
It will be great to see the pics.

I am about to do this. Just waiting for the weather to get better. Seems like it has been raining EVERY FRIGGIN DAY since I got my car back.

Old 04-19-2007, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
Well, I completed the passenger side doors, trunk, and rear wheel wells. I'll finish up the driver side doors and maybe the hood and firewall/front passenger area today. Hopefull I will be done and satisfied tomorrow. I have a feeling I want to buy the more high quality stuff (Damplifier by SecondSkin) for the hood and I might run out of the eDead V1.2 after I finish the doors. At least after tonight I can post a better idea of how much sqft of sound deadening you need to do what part of the car. I used 30 sqft for just the one front door and the trunk. For the rear doors, I am not even putting a second layer on the side where the door panel goes on.

Old 04-19-2007, 11:20 AM
Originally Posted by smeister
At least after tonight I can post a better idea of how much sqft of sound deadening you need to do what part of the car..

Nice. That is exactly what I am looking for. I am going to use Damplifier, so I don't want to buy the wrong amount.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2007, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
I put eDead V1.2 in the following areas.

- Single layer inside and outside (door panel side) of front doors.
- Single layer inside of rear doors and just covered up the holes on the outside part of the door (door panel side).
- Singler layer in entire trunk plus a second layer over the areas that had OEM sound deadening.
- Single layer over rear wheel wells plus a second layer on the areas that hard OEM sound deadening.

I put a single layer of closed-cell neoprene in the following areas.

- All the door panels
- Trunk
- Rear wheel wells

I bought 60 sqft of eDead V1.2 and 48 sqft of neoprene and one can of adhesive spray. I have some eDead left just enough to finish the rear outside of the doors if I wanted to. I am guessing about 5 sqft left. I may use it to do the hatch door since it is small. I have at least 15 sqft of neoprene left and half a bottle of the adhesive spray. I also decided to buy some 3M All-Weather Duct Tape and make sure the eDead doesnt fall apart on me. lol I used up 3/4 of the roll.

Pics to come.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:27 AM
5 Year Member
Before I forget, the easiest way I found out about cutting out holes for screw holes from the door panel and holes for the door handle tabs, is to cut them AFTER you covered them (I don't know if this applies to other sound deadening material like damplifier). If there are bolt ends sticking out or other things that give you a hard time to put the sound deadening on, just cut it and sqeeze it down so its flush against the metal instead of having air bubbles. You can always poke a hole to get air bubbles out. This should not affect the performance of the sound deadening material like eDead V1.2 since the major part of its purpose is supposed to help strenghten the metal so that it vibrate less and results in less noise. I'll have a pic of this posted.

Old 04-20-2007, 09:33 AM
5 Year Member
Pics

Check out the pics there.

Uploader - Uploader v6

I am a noob so I couldnt figure out how to link them directly to the post.

Last edited by smeister; 04-20-2007 at 09:47 AM.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:36 AM
two things:

1. How did you remove the door panel without taking off the handle? Impressive!

2. Have you driven on the highway yet without the radio on?

Nice Job so faR!

Old 04-20-2007, 12:02 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by WhatFreshHell
two things:

1. How did you remove the door panel without taking off the handle? Impressive!

2. Have you driven on the highway yet without the radio on?

Nice Job so faR!
1. The door handle comes loose. You just have to push it towards the front of the car and then pull it out towards you and it comes out.

2. I've driven on the highway and it is quieter. I don't know if I am imagining things, but the car feels more heavy/solid even though I only put in about 20 lbs of sound deadening. I am still getting noise from the front though so I need to address that next.

Claymore, thanks for the help buddy. I wouldn't mind eating some big prawns and pad thai gai up in Thailand right about now (starving and its lunch time).

Old 04-20-2007, 01:50 PM
5 Year Member
My coworker that always sits in the back of the Fit when we go for lunch said the back is a lot quieter now and he only hears the road noise from the wheels. We both think its coming from the front wheels so I'll try to sound deaden the that area next and see if we were right or not. Sound deadening continues...

Old 04-20-2007, 11:23 PM
5 Year Member
I think the sound deadening stuff you used doesn't have enough density. There is a huge difference between a product like Dynamat, and the product you used. I imagine you could easily add 20 pounds just to your front doors if you were to do it thoroughly.

I just got my car and I'm hoping to start deadening it this Sunday.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by radareclipse
I think the sound deadening stuff you used doesn't have enough density. There is a huge difference between a product like Dynamat, and the product you used. I imagine you could easily add 20 pounds just to your front doors if you were to do it thoroughly.
That is definitely true. The one I used is the thinnest. I didn't want to add a lot of weight to the car and I just wanted it to be quieter, but not luxury quiet or sound competitive. I would have added some sound deadening sludge for more weight and density or used even thicker butyl sound deadening or even multiple layers of what I used. I am pretty happy with the outcome. I'll be finnishing up the car today by completeing the firewall and front floor. I think that's all I have enough for anyways.

radareclipse,
I'd like to see how extensive your install is when you are done. So please put up some pics.

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping