Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 02:29 AM
I knew what you were talking about but i dont think they did when i asked them. Is that stuff flamable? Just asking cause there are wires where your stuffing it. I will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the help.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:05 AM
5 Year Member
yeah, when i found it, i was like...i would never have thought to look here. and no, its not flammable...the one i got was fire retardant. happy hunting & sound deadening.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:16 AM
5 Year Member
Does anyone know what the "Front Door Pad" is used for?

It normally goes here (see red bullseye). Unfortunately, I forgot to put it back when I sound deadened the front passenger door. I hope it doesn't do something important cuz the door is completely sealed w/ sound deadener. Drats!! The door sounds nicely "noise deaded" & the windows operate just fine.

Last edited by raton; 03-28-2008 at 10:10 AM. Reason: re-post image
Old 03-18-2008, 10:52 AM
5 Year Member
I just took that out and threw it away. You covered up the hole anyways and it just keeps the door panel touching that bump there instead of floating before you covered that area up.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
I just took that out and threw it away. You covered up the hole anyways and it just keeps the door panel touching that bump there instead of floating before you covered that area up.
Awesome! Thanks smeister! That's a load off my mind.

BTW...I finished 3 doors! I just have the left-rear door to do. Unfortunately, I'm running out of material. Hopefully, I have enough to finish that one door.

Also, did you sound deaden your floors? I still hear more noise from my front tires than I car for. Would doing the floors or undercoating the outer wheel wells help more? Thanks again!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 PM
5 Year Member
I did the front area under the carpet and the wheel well with eDead and two layers of neoprene. I am not sure if it helped much, but its done. I am probably going to spray some undercarriage spray in the rear wheels wells once it warms up. If I ever get around to it, I would do one layer of eDead on the hood and firewall (I doubt it lol it's already pretty quiet inside minus my exhaust).

Old 03-19-2008, 04:17 AM
5 Year Member
Wow! Doing the front floors resulted in questionable results. Gulp! I'm not sure if I want to go through the effort of doing the front now. When u did the front...I guess u disconnected the battery to disable the SRS?

So u did the front wheel wells in eDeat & neoprene too? Do u mean the external-facing metal...right behind the front wheels? And even that yeilded dubious results too?...

What about your back seats? Did you deaden the floor area there too?

I got 16' wheels and they sure are noisier the stock ones.

I was actually thinking of laying some raammat (what I used) under the hood too. But I'll need to wait until i order some more materiel. Plus, I may give undercoating the wheels a shot too. We'll see.

Deadening sure can be a daunting task. Like chopping down a tree w/ a pocket knife sometimes.

Sorry for so may questions. Thanks for your help!

Last edited by raton; 03-19-2008 at 04:19 AM. Reason: to clarify verbeage
Old 03-19-2008, 10:33 AM
5 Year Member
I did the wheel wells in the front as best as I could in the cramped space. I think that helped more than the floor. If you have extra material than do it...otherwise I think most of the noise from the front is the firewall and the wheel wells so do the wheel wells first and then the floor if you have left overs. It's like most peoples experience with sound deadening...the rear trunk and rear wheel wells make the biggest difference. It will be hard to get it even quieter. I wonder if anyone has spray painted the plastic liner in the front wheel well or not. I am sure it would help absorb some noise. I'll think about it, but I may spray the inside of the plastic liner with some sound deadening and see how that comes out.

Old 03-20-2008, 04:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by smeister
I did the wheel wells in the front as best as I could in the cramped space. I think that helped more than the floor. If you have extra material than do it...otherwise I think most of the noise from the front is the firewall and the wheel wells so do the wheel wells first and then the floor if you have left overs. It's like most peoples experience with sound deadening...the rear trunk and rear wheel wells make the biggest difference. It will be hard to get it even quieter. I wonder if anyone has spray painted the plastic liner in the front wheel well or not. I am sure it would help absorb some noise. I'll think about it, but I may spray the inside of the plastic liner with some sound deadening and see how that comes out.
Great! So it sounds like the laying sound deadeaning in the front wheel wells are the next target (after the last door). Then, somehow...the firewall.

But I'm still not sure where u put the eDead in the "front wheel well"...or more accurately...from where/how u accessed the "front wheel well." Do u mean u applied eDead to the front inner fender (right behind the wheel...I think that's the plastic liner u referred to)? Or is it the section shown in this picture?

As far as undercoating the front wheel well, I was looking @ possibly doing what ciburri posted here [https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...t=undercoating].

Thanks again. I'm so dense.

ps: Tonight, I turned the stereo fader so only the rear speakers played....Man! The stock rear speakers sounded pretty lame! Gotta change those out soon. Not sure if sound deadening can help those. :P

Old 03-20-2008, 09:57 AM
5 Year Member
I put it down on the front wheel wells in the inside of the car behind the plastic pieces. I think what helped more than eDead is the neoprene I laid down there.

About the undercoating, I meant the same thing ciburri did to his car. I am going to use some truck bed spray though instead of the rubberized that most people are using.

Yeah the stock speaker suck, but for the rear you only use them to fill in sound so they aren't really focused on when you listen to music in the front of the car. I have mine faded so the rear is getting only half power or something like that.

Old 03-20-2008, 11:26 AM
Originally Posted by raton
It normally goes here (see red bullseye). Unfortunately, I forgot to put it back when I sound deadened the front passenger door. I hope it doesn't do something important cuz the door is completely sealed w/ sound deadener. Drats!! The door sounds nicely "noise deaded" & the windows operate just fine.

This piece is there to correspond with the pad on the door card itself. In the event of a side collision it will pop the door panel off the door in a nice even fashion, so as not to create torn plastic that can cut you. However if your hit hard enough from the side in a small car like the Fit. The door card is the least of your worries.

Old 03-20-2008, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Cool info!

Old 03-20-2008, 06:07 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks Injundon! Auto engineers think of everything. I was checking out some of your posts in the Fit Ice section. Interesting info. Audio mods are definately on the TO-DO list. Gonna start slow...nothing outrageous or $$$. I listen to more jazz (Earl Klugh) and mellow stuff.

Thanks smeister! After the last door...I'll give deadening the front wheel wells a shot...as well as the undercoating. Went to the dealer today to fix a punctured tire and they said there's a company here that could put Rhino Lining in the wheel wells. I may check them out. TBD...

Last edited by raton; 03-20-2008 at 06:09 PM. Reason: i really have to proof-read better
Old 03-28-2008, 10:57 AM
5 Year Member
Well, finally finished sound deadening all the doors. The last one was the driver-side rear door. Here's pics of door w/ aluminum sheeting to cover the holes...then w/ RAAMat...then w/ Ensolite:

Note: Applying the Ensolite to the insides of the doors was tough and occasionally messy because I had to either spray back of the cut sheets of Ensolite then fit them quickly through the holes...or spay through the holes then apply the cut sheets of Ensolite. Kinda wished the Ensolite (closed-cell foam) had adhesive backing like the RAAMat.

Probably gonna order another 3 yards of Ensolite so I can apply an additional layer over each door. Also, gonna order 1 more roll of RAAMat so I can do the front & rear floors...and the front wheel wells. My FalKen 205/45R-16s (SKU: 28922690) tires sure are noisier than the stock 15" tires.

So far, very happy w/ the results. Outside noise has been reduced....and the stock audio components sound MUCH better. To the point where I think I'm content to take my time in upgrading the head-unit & speakers.

Old 03-28-2008, 12:14 PM
5 Year Member
Wow, looks good...you know they sell closed celll foam that has an adhesive backing.

So you actually did ensolite INSIDE the door too? I only did the eDead inside to make the door more solid and vibrate less and then put the foam on the door panel.

Nice job man! For some reason your RAAMat looks really wrinkly though lol.

Old 03-29-2008, 09:56 AM
5 Year Member
Thanks smeister. I mainly applied additional Ensolite to the areas opposite the speaker openings. Hahaha. I checked out pics of others who used RAAMat...they had the same wrinkles. I guess that's a product feature...

Edit: FYI...I was curious, so sent an email to the RAAMat folks. [RAAMaudio - Quality and Value in Automotive Sound Deadening] This is what Rick replied back:

"The appearance is from the way the product is manf and rolled up when still warm, it has no negative effect. But, having slight changes in thickness areas helps it block certain freq better by diffusing it a bit"

Last edited by raton; 03-29-2008 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Add reply from Rick from RAAMat
Old 04-23-2008, 01:32 AM
5 Year Member
Has anyone ever used any liquid-type deadener instead of the mat-type deadener?

This product looked interesting: www.quietcar.net

The demo looked impressive and the price/cost seems pretty reasonable. It s/b lighter than any mat-type deadener. I guess the spray method is the best way to apply it. It sounds like there's a whole list of do's, don'ts, and "ways" to properly apply it though.

Prepping the target areas & the initial curing time for each coat would be the toughest. It sounds like you need to:
1. thoroghly mask the various target area components or parts
2. clean target area
3. apply the 1st coat
4. wait 4 hours
5. apply 2nd coat
6. wait 4 hours
7. apply the last coat
8. wait 4 hours
9. then I guess replace the trim pieces
10. the final curing would take place over a period of 7 days (?)

I used RAAMmat myself, but I was just wondering if anyone knew anything about these liquid-type sound deadeners...Thanks.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
a question about installing deadening material. when u put it behind ur door panels isn't it better to cover the whole area or not? because in the pics I saw it was put on certain areas on the metal and thats it. I honestly don't know that is why I am asking about it.

Old 04-29-2008, 03:20 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by toxicavenger
a question about installing deadening material. when u put it behind ur door panels isn't it better to cover the whole area or not? because in the pics I saw it was put on certain areas on the metal and thats it. I honestly don't know that is why I am asking about it.
I think everything is covered inbetween the door and door panel.

I havent used the liquid stuff, but I hear it works great. From the looks of it, it just seems pretty messy and it weights a lot (hence the sound deadening).

Old 04-29-2008, 11:57 PM
5 Year Member
I might try some carpet padding in between my door panels to see if it cuts down on some noise.

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping