Fit Interior Modifications Discussion area for interior modifications including seats, steering wheels, upholstery and gauges

DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 05:14 PM
5 Year Member
Thanks for your help. I finished the floors last night. What a difference it makes. Definitely worth the time.
I bought some 2" acoustic foam from the foam factory and stuffed it into the open spaces under the dash. I'm definetely hearing less engine noise now.

Old 01-17-2008, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Sweet man, any install pictures? I'd like to see them if you have some.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:29 AM
5 Year Member
I can't figure out what the function of the Neoprene is for. I understand taht eDead is sound deadner but why the neoprene?

Old 01-18-2008, 02:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by abcsr2ez4me
I can't figure out what the function of the Neoprene is for. I understand taht eDead is sound deadner but why the neoprene?
The closed cell neoprene blocks out sound by giving sound waves a hard time travelling through; therefore it insulates from noise pretty much by absorbing it (well some of it).

Old 01-18-2008, 01:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by runbikerun
I bought some 2" acoustic foam from the foam factory and stuffed it into the open spaces under the dash. I'm definetely hearing less engine noise now.
Wow..that is impressive. Can you tell me how you access the open space under the dash? And is "foam factory" a brand or a retailer site?

Thanks.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
well, i started my deadening the cargo area & interior wheel wells today. got tired so stopped for today. heres what i did so far:

smeister....when you layed down your edead on the wheel wells, did you use small strips of longer strips?

its taking me longer cuz i was measuring & applying smaller patches--especially on the wheel wells. i used smaller strips cuz i didnt want to have air pockets.

you said you finished the rear in 5 hours. was it 5 hours to apply the edead and neoprene....or 5 hours just to do the edead? thanks!

Old 02-19-2008, 09:14 AM
5 Year Member
If I remember correctly I used regular size strips. As long as it overlaps some and its on there without bubbles you are good. If there is a bubble just use a pin and poke it out since it gets filled with butyl anyways. It took me 5 hours to do the whole back, and I remember my back aching from leaning over into the trunk. Also wherever I saw the oem sound deadening, I put an extra layer of edead on it.

So yeah, dont worry about using huge strips. I saw the one guy lay one long piece and it probably helps a little, but if everything is laid down properly and there are no gaps it shouldn't compromise the effect of the sound deadening. Remember the edead mostly stops the vibration of metals and the neoprene absorbs more of road noise/sound.

Keep up the work. Once you finish up the rear go for a drive and you will hear the difference.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
thanks smeister! it went a lot faster using larger strips. but darn, i couldnt finish the whole thing today. i hope to be done tomorrow & check out the results.

one question....did you leave the factory padding on the left/right rear trim panels...or did you pull it & use neoprene? thanks again.

heres what got done today:

Old 02-20-2008, 02:43 AM
5 Year Member
I have to give you credit for this. I have spent over $300 on rammat and they are still sitting in my garage. I am procrastinating and waiting for spring

Old 02-20-2008, 03:02 AM
5 Year Member
ha ha. thanks. mine is raammat & ensolite too. i know what u mean. i ordered mine in early january & put off doing it until this long weekend (presidents day). plus, i took 2 days off...so id have more time to do it. started it on monday...s/b done tomorrow (wednesday). im such a slow worker. funny thing is...i still have the doors to do. dont know when ill get around to that though.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:55 AM
5 Year Member
Man it's coming along nicely. I just left the oem sound deadening on there. I actually drove the car without the rear panels on and man it was a lot louder with it off so the plastic and oem sound deadening does do something. I say keep it on there. The panels still fit back on properly. It was just tighter. The only thing is remember those little four or 6 plugs that hold the plastic panels down to the trunk. You need to have holes to put those back in since they get covered up by the sound deadening material.

The doors are the most work! Especially if you do the whole inside of it. I had a bunch of cuts on my arm/wrist...it didn't look that good. lol

Old 02-20-2008, 11:34 AM
Just an :fyi: the edead is probably the worst deadener you can purchase, I'm not sure which version you have but I know some of it was asphalt based and adhered very poorly and also had a stench.

Sound Deadener Showdown <--- best site for research on deadeners

Old 02-20-2008, 11:39 AM
5 Year Member
I got the version 2 and its fine. It does the job and it isnt falling apart. I actually took of my door panel and checked it a few weeks ago and the FL heat didnt do anything to it nor the IL cold. Good bang for the buc.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 PM
5 Year Member
IMHO, the rear wheel wells are the number one source of road noise in the Fit. After doing my doors (with RAAMmat), I used the rest of the roll on one side of the car, going 3x thick on the wheel well. I need another roll for the other side.

While it was apart, I cut Owens 703 (pdf) into strips and crammed as much as possible into the rear corners between the outside body panel and the wheel-well. I also inserted little blocks of 703 under the interior panels where I could find the space. Once it was back together, I kept stuffing 703 in around the taillights until no more would fit.

If you ever thought about doubling-up the Dynamat (or whatever you're using), I'd do it on the wheel wells.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:47 PM
5 Year Member
thanks again smeister. i left the oem padding in the trim pieces & reinstalled everything today. i went for a drive and....it wasnt a 'cone of silence' ...but the rear section was noticably quieter.

Originally Posted by smeister
...I actually drove the car without the rear panels on and man it was a lot louder with it off...
haha...i did that yesterday too. went for a ride w/ the rear trim pieces not installed yet & i could hear alot of road & wind noise.

...The panels still fit back on properly. It was just tighter. The only thing is remember those little four or 6 plugs that hold the plastic panels down to the trunk. You need to have holes to put those back in since they get covered up by the sound deadening material.
yes, the panels fit much tighter. so tight that i couldnt easily get the two plastic clips in. i finally gave up. the two outer bolts on the floor seem to secure the panel pieces ok. i might try to do the clips later (Gw).

The doors are the most work! Especially if you do the whole inside of it. I had a bunch of cuts on my arm/wrist...it didn't look that good. lol
gulp! ill probably try one door first & see how it goes...dont know when ill start though. but thanks a bunch for the help.

Old 02-21-2008, 09:06 AM
5 Year Member
Anytime man, but you know when you drive the Fit it sure is nice when it's quiet AND when you knock on the doors they don't sound like tin anymore.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:58 PM
5 Year Member
smeister...when you applied the edead to your front door, did you put some kind of 'cover' or foundation over the larger door openings then lay the edead...or did you simply lay the edead directly over the opening? thanks.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
I read online people would put a piece of aluminum or something hard there, but I don't think it was a big deal as long as it was air tight. Well, it's not air tight anyways since the door lock mechanism needs to move around. You can see it in the pic. I put a piece of grommet around it so it wouldnt accidentally get stuck to the butyl stuff on the eDead.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:35 PM
5 Year Member
i may look into some aluminum & grommets. just prepping for when i actually do it. thanks!

Old 02-24-2008, 10:00 PM
5 Year Member
I didn't use anything solid over those holes either. I just applied the mat face-to-face one strip at a time until the entire hole was covered. Did that on all 4 doors.

Quick Reply: DIY: Install Sound Deadening/Damping