Old 04-20-2013, 09:13 PM
tpms light

i searched first
i changed my rims out now i have the TPMS light on my dash
Is there anyway i can get that to shut off
I know why its there but its annoying
thanks

Old 04-20-2013, 10:40 PM
go to any tire shop, they can reset it for you.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:45 PM
5 Year Member
But not permanently? Won't it keep firing unless the sensors are there?
Curious (I should search) because Dad has a Fit and has snow tires/rims that will mount up for next season, and doesn't want to pay for TPMS. I sympathize with him. He checks pressures regularly so he truly doesn't need sensors, and they are a bit expensive, especially installation. At the moment he's thinking of going for the "piece of tape over the light" option, and I'm hoping we cna find a better solution before next year.
(I don't use snow tires myself because I rarely drive. I DID get stuck on our hill this past winter. It was in front of the neighbors and very embarassing. Fortunately, there is a non-hill exit from our road too!)

Old 04-20-2013, 11:54 PM
well there's always this option that was dug up from an older thread

DIY - TPMS Canister/Pipe Bomb - Club Lexus Forums

Old 04-21-2013, 01:35 AM
Originally Posted by SieGunso

That's your best solution aside from covering the light with a bit of tape, as has been done, or getting an OBDll and resetting yourself.

The TPMS' sensors have to be under so many PSI, be on/in the car, and the car has to hit around 28 MPH to turn off the light.

Old 04-21-2013, 03:23 AM
5 Year Member
I'm kind of surprised no one has asked this question (or series of questions) to the OP yet... Please note, neither Fit Freak nor I will be held accountable as this is not a "diagnosis" of your vehicle, just a series of questions to help "eliminate" any potential possibilities.

1.) Is this light the flat tire light or the actual letters "TPMS"? If flat tire light, check tire pressure. If "TPMS", see question #2.

2.) During the wheel installation, did you either have the existing Tire Pressure Sensors transferred to the new wheels or have new TPS sensors installed? (If new sensors, skip to question #5) If the original/previously used sensors were not transferred to the new wheels, the TPMS's control module cannot/will not be able to receive any signals from the senors and will throw a TPMS DTC. If new sensors were installed, they will have to be programmed to the vehicle so the TPMS's control module will know what sensor IDs to look for in order to pick up the correct signals.

3.) (If you had gotten new sensors, skip to question #5) Now, if you did have your sensors transferred to the new wheels... Did you happen to see whether or not the tech(s) working on your vehicle had broken/damaged the sensor during either dismounting or mounting of the tires? Damaged/broken sensors will cause a TPMS DTC to display.

4.) (If you had gotten new sensors, skip to question #5) If the original/previous sensors were indeed installed correctly and were not damaged during the install, it could be possible that the internal battery may have depleted/failed enough so that the sensor either is sending erratic/weak signals or no signals at all. Have a tire shop/dealership inspect your sensors to see if one is faulty (unless you have access to a TPMS scan tool, then pull the codes yourself).

5.) If you've gotten a new tire pressure sensor(s), had them installed to the wheel using the correct procedure, and they were not damaged during tire mounting, did the tech(s) program the new sensor(s) to your vehicle? Again, the vehicle's TPMS's control module must know what sensor(s) to look for in order to pick up the correct signal from your vehicle so if they had not, the sensors of course will need to be relearned by the TPMS.

Note: It is rare but it is possible that you may have gotten a defective new tire pressure sensor.

In addition to that if the new tire pressure sensors have been properly learned, then you may have another issue that needs to be addressed.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:51 AM
good wright up but i didnt have the senors installed in my rims

Old 04-21-2013, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by SieGunso

This won't work on the Fit, as the TPMS sensors need to be in a rotating tire to turn on.

If you ever do construct something like this, please don't use PVC pipe; it's not safe for use with compressed gasses. It's not that the pipe cannot withstand the pressure—it can, in general—but rather that PVC pipe, if it fails, usually does so by shattering into sharp-pointed shards. If it's pressurized with compressed air when this happens, the shards will go flying at high speeds in all directions and pose a significant safety hazard. (Water pressure is not as dangerous in this situation because water is incompressible, and so it won't force the sharp bits of pipe out at anywhere near the speed that compressed air would.)

Metallic pipe wouldn't work very well, either, as it would block the radio signals from the sensors. Probably some other kind of plastic pipe would be most appropriate, or a wheelbarrow wheel and tire