General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Rear wiper during reverse

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 09:26 PM
Rear wiper during reverse

i recently purchased my fit and found that when i'm in reverse my rear wiper starts. seems like an odd thing to happen, considering a dry wiper blade on a dry window can be destructive. is this normal, or is mine tweaking out?

Old 08-23-2009, 10:05 PM
Only happens on my car when front wipers are on. If shouldn't happen every time you're in reverse.

Good luck.

Old 08-23-2009, 11:19 PM
5 Year Member
It shouldn't happen every time you turn on you front wipers either. I can turn my rear wiper on independently of the front.. I never use it, but I think I just twist the end of the wiper switch for the rear and move the wiper switch down for the front.

Sounds like there's some crossed wires, I'm guessing the wiper is wired up to your reverse lights somehow.

Is the Fit new or used?

Old 08-26-2009, 03:44 AM
Someone that spends her life on FitFreak.net
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by jeskalr
i recently purchased my fit and found that when i'm in reverse my rear wiper starts. seems like an odd thing to happen, considering a dry wiper blade on a dry window can be destructive. is this normal, or is mine tweaking out?
If I mist the front window and turn on the wiper to clear the window, and then shift into reverse, the back wiper will go on. It's a feature. I have to have done something with the wipers on the front window. Did you do something to clear your front window?

I think the car is programmed that way, if you are clearing your front window, your back window probably needs it too. Like in the rain when the car has been outside.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:49 AM
im guessing you have a GE, the acura RDX also does that, i dunno if you can stop it though

Old 08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Flyin172s
It shouldn't happen every time you turn on you front wipers either. I can turn my rear wiper on independently of the front.. I never use it, but I think I just twist the end of the wiper switch for the rear and move the wiper switch down for the front.

Sounds like there's some crossed wires, I'm guessing the wiper is wired up to your reverse lights somehow.

Is the Fit new or used?
This is a feature on the GE. If your front wipers are on, the rear wiper will activate EVERY time the car is put into reverse, whether the rear wiper is turned "on" or "off". This is normal and explained in the owner's manual.

I also don't like it, because my rear window is often dirty, and I don't want the wiper scratching the glass. It's a drag having to remember to turn the front wipers off before backing up.

Old 09-27-2023, 02:30 PM
Mine too

Mine too but my front wipers are broken too- not turning off so lever pushed all the way down! Strange!