General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Disappointed in the very thing FITs are famous for... visibility.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 10:29 AM
Disappointed in the very thing FITs are famous for... visibility.

I have recently taken a 2012 FIT Base for a test drive and loved absolutely everything about it, except for frontal visibility. After reading so much about them being amazing for visibility, I am thinking that maybe I am not a good fit for the FIT?

I am 5'3" and had a HUGE problem with the front right A-pillar. My daily commute is about 1/3 through a city and involves lots of left turns... Somehow the A-pillar was *exactly* where the crosswalks were while turning left. It's alright with me to have to turn my head a bit to see better, but in the Fit I had to really keep turning my head back and forth and sideways to see through the pillar. This has never been THAT huge of an issue for me in other cars.

I loved the Fit and I really want to buy the car. The visibility out of the back and the sides is fantastic. Do you think the A-pillar being so much in the way for me has something to do with my positioning in the seat? The height does not adjust... Will getting a seat cushion help?

Because for most people the A-pillars don't seem to be an issue, I'm just worried that my height may not be right for this car. Can anyone relate?

Old 10-26-2015, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by salantro
I have recently taken a 2012 FIT Base for a test drive and loved absolutely everything about it, except for frontal visibility. After reading so much about them being amazing for visibility, I am thinking that maybe I am not a good fit for the FIT?

I am 5'3" and had a HUGE problem with the front right A-pillar. My daily commute is about 1/3 through a city and involves lots of left turns... Somehow the A-pillar was *exactly* where the crosswalks were while turning left. It's alright with me to have to turn my head a bit to see better, but in the Fit I had to really keep turning my head back and forth and sideways to see through the pillar. This has never been THAT huge of an issue for me in other cars.

I loved the Fit and I really want to buy the car. The visibility out of the back and the sides is fantastic. Do you think the A-pillar being so much in the way for me has something to do with my positioning in the seat? The height does not adjust... Will getting a seat cushion help?

Because for most people the A-pillars don't seem to be an issue, I'm just worried that my height may not be right for this car. Can anyone relate?
I am 6' tall and the a-pillars in my wife's 08 are unbearable. My 12's are bad but not as bad.

Modern cars with air bags there will always have thick apillars, because people would rather have crash safety than have the ability to avoid accidents.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:51 PM
5 Year Member
After reading so much about them being amazing for visibility, I am thinking that maybe I am not a good fit for the FIT?
These are probably people of average height. I don't have any issues and I am slightly above average 5'11" but I also don't drive in the city and would never experience the issue you are having. Some people also have a longer upper body so they may not the same issues.

It may just not be for you. Sitting on something should help I would think.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:35 PM
I'm 5'6 and it's perfect. you think the fit is bad, drive an 8th gen civic. worst a pillar blind spots.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:39 PM
5 Year Member
Airbags everywhere wasn't Honda's idea.

Old 10-26-2015, 06:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fit Charlie
Airbags everywhere wasn't Honda's idea.
Doesn't mean its a great idea for accident prevention.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:18 PM
5 Year Member
I have a GK5 and didn't notice it until a few days after I bought the car. I was coming to a four-way stop and the car on my right was tracking right behind the A-pillar, only saw it when I started my turn. Then a day or so later I would have hit a pedestrian warning cone in the middle of a crosswalk while turning left if my wife didn't scream out at the last second. At the time it really bothered me.

But since then I've learned to compensate quite well and haven't been surprised for a few months now. Bob and twist, look twice, three times maybe, It's really not a bother anymore.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ what Bach said, you need to learn the A Pillar bob and twist, etc. Yes, it is a problem you have to learn to compensate for. It just becomes habit and a good one for any car actually. I'm 5'9" for reference and my 5'2" wife and I both have the seat one click up from the bottom on my 2015 GK.

Old 10-29-2015, 02:01 PM
visibility

I drive a fair amount of rental cars for work and in my opinion the visibility out of the Fit is as good or better than most of the cars I've driven. This goes for A-pillar and especially rear visibility. Of course there are a lot of factors that might make individual experiences different.

Old 11-03-2015, 08:53 AM
5 Year Member
Unfortunately, the demand both from governments and consumers for safety has led to side curtain airbags and upgraded rollover protection. The down side of this is the days of "wraparound" panoramic windshields are behind us (yes, I'm old enough to remember the 50's).

Being aware of the issue, I've learned to move my head to look back and forth at intersections.

Not to worry, though, soon your new car will drive itself. Then, you won't have to bother with driving at all. Just sit back, relax and play video games or text to your little heart's content.

Old 11-08-2015, 09:37 PM
5 Year Member
I drive a GD3 and if I'm stopped at an intersection, any pedestrian on the crosswalk to my left is basically invisible. Constant head bobbing is annoying. I live in the city and pedestrians in my city pretty much have a death wish so it keeps driving exicting. You never know when someone will jump in front of your car.

Old 11-18-2015, 08:01 AM
Driving my Saturn Astra was like driving a big gunslit. Blind spots and poor visibility everywhere.

Old 11-24-2015, 05:08 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member

my wife is about your height and she drives in the city often. she apparently does not seem to have an issue with the a-pillar (GE and GK). She sits up pretty straight, no seat cushion. see if that helps.

my seating position is pretty low and relaxed and i too think the a-pillars on these cars are pretty ridiculous. GK is even worse than the GE.