General Fit Talk General Discussion on the Honda Fit/Jazz.

Honda Fit in Arizona Heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:03 PM
Honda Fit in Arizona Heat

Hello,

I'm considering buying a 2nd Gen Honda Fit, and I'm hoping to get feedback on a couple of questions...

I'm planning on living around Phoenix, AZ with this Honda Fit. I've heard that the AC can be somewhat weak. Anyone with experience that can chime in about AC performance in Arizona heat would be appreciated.

Also, I'm concerned about road noise. Some people really complain about it. I'll be purchasing an automatic Fit, if that matters. I'll be taking a good amount of road trips throughout the Southwest, and I'm hoping that I don't regret this purchase if there is a great deal of noise at 70mph.

Thanks!

Old 02-01-2016, 07:51 PM
5 Year Member
I live in Oregon, not near as hot, the AC on my 07 is barely adequate.

The Fit is not really any different than my 05 BMW 330 noise wise.

The automatic is punchy accelerates nicely it hunts between lockup and unlocked on the torque converter on long hills, I typically drop to sport mode and set in to the gear I want to save the torque converter the binging in and out of engagement. On a long hill drop to 4th and let it spin up ...

The fit seems to peak its gas mileage at just under 70 on my 07... It drops a couple MPG cruising at 70, couple more at 75. The noise is very road and tire dependent.. I get 38 to 42 typically cruising on the freeway with 36PSI in the Hankooks.

Old 02-02-2016, 05:01 AM
Air conditioning is subjective. I've had my 2007 base for almost 10 years and haven't ever had a problem with the air conditioning. All 10 years in the Phoenix area. The only problem you might run into is needing to turn the air conditioning off after thr red light turns green. These cars hardly have any power and it seems like the air conditioning just sucks all the power and doesn't leave any to accelerate.

On a side note there are a few of us here who live in the Phoenix area. One has a V6 swap, the other is just got rid of his turbo and is going to do a K swap soon, and I just installed a turbo. All of us have the first gen, though. At least the factory gave the second gen (the one you're looking at) a little more power, but not much. I don't think any of us have had and Honda-caused problems with anything.

Old 02-02-2016, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the replies. Makes sense that the air conditioning is subjective. I had no air conditioning in the final years of owning my Volkswagen Fox in Chicago, and I actually did okay most of the time. Of course Phoenix is different.

I'm still curious to hear from others regarding AC and road noise. I'm hoping to go for another test drive soon-

Old 02-14-2016, 10:47 AM
5 Year Member
I got the cheap Viper one-button remote starter. Preheat the car in winter, pre-cool the car in summer.
I have relatives in Phoenix:
Avoid parking in the sun.
Get a place with a garage or carport to keep from destroying your interior and paint.
Use a windshield sunshade and get tinted windows.
If you can avoid driving towards sunrise or sunset for your commute to work, all the better.
Keep an ice chest handy for grocery shopping.
In the summer, run your errands before 10 am.

Seems to be popular to escape Illinois and move to Arizona. I have three friends and 3 retired relatives who have done it.

Old 05-01-2016, 12:38 AM
I just bought my 2010 fit about 3 months ago so I didn't have to drive it yet in 112 degrees yet but so far the a/c works well with no problem in 95 degrees, I do agree and notice that when driving into the sun it does get warm. That huge windshield lets the heat in that's for sure. As for road noise if you have to ride on blacktop that is course you will hear it pretty good, but if the road is smooth its quiet, Either way its not all that bad. I myself really love the car and the fuel mileage on average with or without a/c on I am getting 39 mpg. Good luck with your choice.