Site Feedback and Suggestions If you have any suggestions or want to see something voice your opinion in here.

Can we ditch the Honda banners?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2007, 09:48 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
No need to hide. It's not so much that they slow the PC down as the pages take longer to load now than before by a fairly noticeable amount. They also screw with the formatting of the site, as well as get in the way of some things like the Search field, etc. They also get in the way when you scroll with a wheelie mouse, too. Ultimately, it not that ads are bad, just that these have a lot of side-effects that aren't necessary.
What browser are you using? Because I experience none of these effects
I'm using Firefox on this end.

Old 09-19-2007, 11:21 AM
No problems with messing up the page in Firefox or Camino for me. If the ads bug you too much just get firefox with the adblock plugin and you can block all of them. That sucks for the site, but if your not going to click on them anyway they're not losing any revenue.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:05 PM
5 Year Member
Problem is Firefox for OS-X has lots of issues and isn't really good solution just yet. Maybe there's an ad blocking plug-in for Safari, but I'm not sure. I'll check later when I have a bit more time.

Old 09-19-2007, 01:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Chikubi
Hmmm, what browser are you using? Do you have any ad blocking plug-ins or software running? That may be why as the ads are still on the site. Feel lucky you don't see them.

Yep...Firefox here too...but then again...I'm on a lousy microsoft system. Be glad you have a TRUE O/S to work with...haha

Old 09-19-2007, 02:13 PM
i vote to kill the ads, maybe we can have a paying member and a non-paying member version and if we pay like $25 a year we dont have to view the ads, sounds like a good solution to me and thats how 1 site i am a member of runs things

Old 09-19-2007, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
the ad doesnt bother me...you guys using 56k? ;p

Old 09-19-2007, 10:05 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by kancerr
the ad doesnt bother me...you guys using 56k? ;p
Cable modem, so bandwidth isn't an issue.

Old 09-20-2007, 08:32 PM
5 Year Member
i guess both the ads are kinda pointless...i do think they should get rid of the one on the side...why have one on the top and side?

Old 09-23-2007, 12:15 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
Er... Bump?

Can we comprimise a bit and just remove the side banners please.... they really do screw up my website view

Plus I think it is a valid point that you don't need one on the top and one on the side, that is just duplicating information... and pretty much everybody here owns a Fit.... and if they are on this site they have already been to the Honda web site at least 10 times.... and putting it in the forums section is not as effective as putting it on the main page anyway.

Just an idea, If Honda wants to make a bigger presence here, ask them to start their own section where they can announce new cars, updates and stuff. I am sure they will get more positive feedback that way and make everybody's visit here more enjoyable. Plus the advertising would be much more effective than a bunch of flash adds for cars we already own.

Old 09-24-2007, 02:51 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
Er... Bump?

Can we comprimise a bit and just remove the side banners please.... they really do screw up my website view

Plus I think it is a valid point that you don't need one on the top and one on the side, that is just duplicating information... and pretty much everybody here owns a Fit.... and if they are on this site they have already been to the Honda web site at least 10 times.... and putting it in the forums section is not as effective as putting it on the main page anyway.

Just an idea, If Honda wants to make a bigger presence here, ask them to start their own section where they can announce new cars, updates and stuff. I am sure they will get more positive feedback that way and make everybody's visit here more enjoyable. Plus the advertising would be much more effective than a bunch of flash adds for cars we already own.
Agreed, the side banner is the one that pisses me off the most. I'd jump for joy if it were sent to adserver hell. This would be a fair compromise I think. And I vote for a Honda sponsored section too -- I'd actually be pretty interested in it if they kept it up to date with current news releases, pics, etc.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:34 PM
5 Year Member
slows down normally fast cable modem loading. Messes with the scrolling mouse. Do Not Want. Cant we just make them less complex so they load faster? I can't imagine that a slightly less complex ad will not work as well.

Old 10-06-2007, 08:24 PM
Push My Button
5 Year Member
I would like to extend my thanks to management for getting rid of the flash adds and replacing them with JPG's. Also it is nice to see other Honda vehicles advertised rather than the Fit.

Although personally I would have liked to see the side bar removed, I will be the first to recognize that the site administration took the time to acknowledged our feedback and did their part to try and compromise on some of the concerns that were expressed.

Thankyou Fitfreak Admins!

Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Sugarphreak
I would like to extend my thanks to management for getting rid of the flash adds and replacing them with JPG's. Also it is nice to see other Honda vehicles advertised rather than the Fit.

Although personally I would have liked to see the side bar removed, I will be the first to recognize that the site administration took the time to acknowledged our feedback and did their part to try and compromise on some of the concerns that were expressed.

Thankyou Fitfreak Admins!
With all my bitching and moaning about these, you'd think I'd a been the first to notice. Yes, many props and Thank You's to the admins for taking away the Flash ads -- life is much better now here at the 'Freak. I too would still like to see the side bar banished, but I'm a happy camper for with things as they are. Now to go drop the banner in my sig. Thanks again!