1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit overheating. Need help.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2019, 07:00 PM
Fit overheating. Need help.

GD1 Honda Fit. 2007

Client called, ac started blowing hot. Told her to turn it off drive without it til I could get to her. Calls me about two hours later to tell me the radiator blew up. Car cut off. Smoke everywhere. Started the car, rolled to the side and switched off. I got there and checked, radiator really was blown. Called a tow truck etc.

Replaced the radiator with a used oem unit, and out of precaution I also replaced the thermostat. Filled with OEM coolant and proceeded to test. Turns out both fans stopped working. Replaced the fans (used units). Tested again. Fans refused to turn on at designated temperature so I replaced the thermoswitch (fan switch). At this point the radiator fans stopped working. Lol. Got another used oem replacement, installed, tested. Fan comes on when switch is bridged. Checked the fuses and relays for both fans, and they're good. Fan still doesn't come on to cool engine at designated temperature. But it works when the ac is turned on.

Desperately looking for answers.

Old 05-08-2019, 11:00 PM
5 Year Member
What switch did you bridge? The sensor in the radiator is thermistor, not switch. Shorting it out may fry the pcm!
Used radiator is a can of worms; Denso makes nice aftermarket radiator.

Old 05-09-2019, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by doctor J
What switch did you bridge? The sensor in the radiator is thermistor, not switch. Shorting it out may fry the pcm!
Used radiator is a can of worms; Denso makes nice aftermarket radiator.
The radiators here don't come with the sensor in it. The switch i bridged is the plug for the thermoswitch. The one that send the signal to turn the fans on.

Was doing some reading and I saw something about the ecu being the one to ground the circuit to turn on the fan. Some one also told me I'd have to reset the ecu for it to resume normal operation. Cause as is, the fans are not coming on to cool the radiator. Any info on that? And if so, the procedure?