1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Cheap intake

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM
Cheap intake

Call me crazy but I love a deal, but I also like not buying junk. Any potential here? I feel like I could always get a higher quality filter, but I haven't ever seen the pipe shaped this way. I guess you could call it a long ram intake?

1Pc Aluminum Engine High Flow Cold Air Intake Kit w/Blue Filter For 07-08 Honda Fit 1.5L https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JMHG6FW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eQpeDbJZXPQNT

Old 06-24-2019, 09:01 PM
if they made one that worked for my car i would have got one. if i remember correctly, i think the first gen MAF sensor is more forgiving than the 2nd gen Fit. id get the short ram version though that keeps the filter under the hood, unless you plan on being cautious of puddles and going in your bumper every so often to clean the filter. sitting in your bumper they get real dirty quick. i had a TRD one on my scion, and thinking about it got obnoxious, especially since there isnt much more power to be gained from the cold air bumper version.

id treat the filter it comes with as disposable...and replace it with a K&N or AFE when it comes time to service it. id give it maybe 10,000-15,000 miles n toss it. a better filter will cost you about $50. or buy a better filter off the bat, and keep the cheap one for backup when you are servicing the better one.

id go for this length..

Last edited by eulogy; 06-24-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-27-2019, 10:49 PM
Originally Posted by eulogy
if they made one that worked for my car i would have got one. if i remember correctly, i think the first gen MAF sensor is more forgiving than the 2nd gen Fit. id get the short ram version though that keeps the filter under the hood, unless you plan on being cautious of puddles and going in your bumper every so often to clean the filter. sitting in your bumper they get real dirty quick. i had a TRD one on my scion, and thinking about it got obnoxious, especially since there isnt much more power to be gained from the cold air bumper version.

id treat the filter it comes with as disposable...and replace it with a K&N or AFE when it comes time to service it. id give it maybe 10,000-15,000 miles n toss it. a better filter will cost you about $50. or buy a better filter off the bat, and keep the cheap one for backup when you are servicing the better one.

id go for this length..

Thanks for the advice, after reading more about cold air intake I agree seems like too much hassle and worry. I did actually see that eBay one, might go for it, but I may end up deciding to stick with stock, at least for now. I don't plan to tune (like with hondata) so I want to keep my mods minor, definitely not looking for huge gains. I have a dynojet system for my ninja 650 but don't see the point (or cost effectiveness) in something like that for my fit as much as I love it. I have an axle back exhaust on the way and a few more cosmetic things and that will be good for me for now I think. Anyway thanks again!

Old 06-28-2019, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Intakes like that, unless properly routed, are effectively "hot air" intakes, and will perform worse than stock since you're pulling in hot air from the engine bay. Look for something that's been dyno tested (by someone other than the manufacturer) and proven to increase output or at least make the torque curve nicer.

Old 07-11-2019, 05:25 AM
Tbh the gains are pretty much nothing an dn the stock ones are pretty much as good as you can get if you replace the pipe going to your air box with a larger diameter tube plus a desent pannel filter would be a lot better than the short ram unless your planning on cutting up you hood and or wing to get desent air flow to it and make a air box to go around the filter to stop it being a hot air intake there no point

Old 07-11-2019, 09:34 AM
5 Year Member
Yep, Bend nailed it.

Old 07-11-2019, 09:47 AM
i agree...if one is looking for performance there is no point. even of filter was sticking out of hood.

but op might be just trying to clean up engine bay for aesthetic reasons. aside from turbos or superchargers...no real additional power can be drawn from any Fit.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:35 PM
5 Year Member
Talking The One that started it all