1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Ticking at idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Ticking at idle

I noticed a ticking when my Fit is idling and since I have never heard another Fit running I'm not sure if it's normal or not.
It doesn't doesn't like an injector but it sure sounds like valve clearance.
The car only has 3800 miles but maybe its time to adjust the valves?
Anyone else notice and "ticking".

Old 01-23-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
mine just started doing this as well, I'm thinking of seeing if the local dealer can look at it this weekend...

Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
It's completely normal to hear the valves ticking. On colder days, it will be slightly louder. The maintenance book states that one of the routine services to be performed (if necessary at the time of service) is a valve adjustment. Mine started ticking when idling too just a few hundred miles ago. Kind of strange to me to have a new car need a valve adjustment already. I'm not too worried about it though because again, it's in the manual. It's one more thing that can charge us for when we bring it in for a simple oil change and tire rotation

Old 01-23-2009, 07:10 PM
5 Year Member
my wife and i both have Fits. mine has 6,000 miles and hers has 21,000 miles. neither of ours have the ticking. you should get it checked out.

Old 01-23-2009, 10:14 PM
I also have ticking, i am starting to get worried now.....

Old 01-23-2009, 10:25 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
its nothing to worry about. its the injectors making a small ticking sound. all fits make the noise.

Old 01-23-2009, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by kylerwho
its nothing to worry about. its the injectors making a small ticking sound. all fits make the noise.
LOL...you oviously know nothing about cars....you cant even hear the injectors with your head under the hood

this is why you have your valve lash adjusted every 30k

give you guys and gals an idea of what im talking about go to this link and look at the pics...the inside of the head of the fit looks almost identical

http://www.honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=1305086

the set screw in the middle of the end of the rocker arm is how they adjust valve lash....the screw going through the rocker arm is what actually pushes down the valve...as this screw basicly slams into the top of the valve stem the clearance grows from the metal being impacted...that ticking you hear is the screw hitting the top of the valve stem....since this is something that is clearanced by hand some cars will tick louder then others from the factory...nothing to worry about unless it gets really loud then you have probably mushroomed out the top of the valve stem...

looks like i should do a write up on here about how to set your valve lash on the fit as its extremely easy and the dealership charges a fortune...

fyi if the ticking really bothers you can go to a 5w30 oil...it will quite the valves down a bit

Last edited by artieman; 01-23-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 01-23-2009, 11:51 PM
spoon fed
5 Year Member
ok. someone told me it was the injectors so i just figured i would relay that information. thanks for correcting me.

Old 01-24-2009, 12:59 AM
5 Year Member
idk if its just me, but i have heard plent of injectors ticking in various cars over the years

Old 01-24-2009, 01:10 AM
Originally Posted by iheartJDM
idk if its just me, but i have heard plent of injectors ticking in various cars over the years
ask anyone who is a mechanic for a living if you can hear the injectors open and close...
at the shop i worked at we had a stethoscope just so we could hear them open and close and compare to see if one was sticking...
the ticking you hear is either the valves, rockers, or lost motion assemblies

Old 01-24-2009, 02:33 AM
Administrator
5 Year Member
artie, it's not necessarily the "opening and closing" of the injectors, but the electronic pulse. I know what he is talking about and yes, it's the valves. Just wanted to correct you (non-harshly) on the injector sound thing

Old 01-24-2009, 02:39 AM
Originally Posted by gimme
artie, it's not necessarily the "opening and closing" of the injectors, but the electronic pulse. I know what he is talking about and yes, it's the valves. Just wanted to correct you (non-harshly) on the injector sound thing
worked on cars with everything from pintle valve to disc type injectors ranging from stock 180cc to huge 1600cc injectors with aftermarket injector drivers....not on any one of those cars could i hear the magnetic coil charge...nor could i hear the injector open or close without the use of a stethoscope....
thats like saying you can hear the coil on a speaker charge before the cone or diaphragm move
fyi dc current doesnt make any resonance you can hear...ac does make noise you can hear but only above subsonic frequency's

Last edited by artieman; 01-24-2009 at 02:43 AM.
Old 01-24-2009, 04:51 AM
a lot of times its the purge control solenoid too..........

Old 01-24-2009, 07:06 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by artieman
thats like saying you can hear the coil on a speaker charge before the cone or diaphragm move

mine used to click, not a pretty sound... I had them replaced...

and yeah, for the sound in the engine, I'm sure it's the rockers, mine have always made the noise, it's normal when I have the hood propped up.

Old 01-24-2009, 08:07 AM
Even more pronounced when using synthetic oil

Old 01-24-2009, 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by nitrous13
Even more pronounced when using synthetic oil
ya 5w20 synthetic is to thin...i wouldnt run any less then 5w30 or 10w30 if running synthetic....the heavier oil has better shear protection and will quite down those noisy valves

Old 01-24-2009, 05:44 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by HONDAMATIC
a lot of times its the purge control solenoid too..........
true, mine was ticking some time and it was that.
thats normal!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:25 PM
ask anyone who is a mechanic for a living if you can hear the injectors open and close...
at the shop i worked at we had a stethoscope just so we could hear them open and close and compare to see if one was sticking...
the ticking you hear is either the valves, rockers, or lost motion assemblies
I wasn't aware the fit had LMAs. All lifters go to valve springs.

Now that I think about it, mine's been ticking pretty good lately too, at 7100 miles. I just pass it off as the cold outside.

Old 01-26-2009, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
ya 5w20 synthetic is to thin...i wouldnt run any less then 5w30 or 10w30 if running synthetic....the heavier oil has better shear protection and will quite down those noisy valves
I suppose this could be it, I didn't notice it until recently and I just changed to Mobil1 0W30 full synthetic about 500 miles ago.

Old 01-27-2009, 04:58 PM
I wonder if the oil film thickness on the cam has something to do with this. The less viscous oils (5w20 etc) will leave a thinner layer when squeezed under the lifter but will still have a good enough film to prevent damage, making the rocker clearance wider and noise louder when cold (when the metals haven't expanded yet). More viscous oil will have a much thicker film before the oil thins out with temperature.

As for the rocker adjustment... man that's hard to believe it's out already. I know my civic needed adjustment every couple years but that had solid lifters. The last roller rocker Honda I took apart was a K24 that had 143,000 miles on the clock, and with them never adjusted, were at perfect factory spec. I couldn't hardly believe it. (The ticking in that case was use of Champion spark plugs; NGK cured it.)

Now to throw a wrench in it... that old civic of mine had loud LMA ticking anytime I ran conventional oil, be it 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 once even, and it ticked on valvoline synth 10w30 too. That noise was GONE when I put in mobil1 10w30. Figure that out...

Quick Reply: Ticking at idle