1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

2007 Honda Fit: Original battery dead at two years

Old 01-03-2011, 08:27 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
Sibyl, I was a professional automobile mechanic for 10 years. My own '08 Fit lives outside, ungaraged, in a harsher climate than yours. Plus I have multiple vehicles from which to choose, so the Fit regularly sits for more than a weekend without being run. This past December it has done so in temperatures that never rose above 32F. It has never failed to turn over, and it has never failed to start.

At this point in time, given all of the evidence in front of me, I have to conclude that you have something uniquely (or maybe not-so uniquely?) wrong with your car. Apologies for not having the wherewithal to convince Honda America of same.

Your continuing vigilance and contribution to this thread is, if perhaps not to you, at the very least quite reassuring to me, and perhaps other owners of these interesting and enjoyable little vehicles. Thank you very, very much for doing so. I am in your debt. Please don't hesitate to reach out for repayment.

Happy New Year!

Old 01-04-2011, 12:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Even then, lets say the engine rocks enough laterally (even though the roll front to back is more significant) to make the plastic intake box brush up against the battery which is strapped to a tray.. so what?
I bought and tried the larger battery but it just barely touched the fuse box and intake. Because of the geometry of the air box to the battery, even a little for/aft movement of the engine will stress the air box. That's not good.

Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
How does that constitute a serious problem? Some batteries sit in large cradles where they rock around for their whole service life. If it fits, its fine.
I'm not concerned so much with the battery but with the intake. The 'somewhat' flexible coupling on the intake is not meant to be continuously loaded from contacting the battery.

Good luck to y'all with the larger battery. I'll stick with OEM.

Old 01-16-2011, 08:11 PM
5 Year Member
Honda Fit

Originally Posted by Sibyl
As the originator of this thread, I figured it was time for an update...

In three months, my car will be 4 years old. Now that cold weather is descending upon my hometown, it is time again for a new battery. The first time it wouldn't start, it sat for two days and the temperatures got down to ... 55F. (?!?) I know, right? Those are some seriously Arctic conditions.

Thankful that I bought a portable jump starter two years prior, I hauled it out of the basement and got the car started. I drove it all week without issue.

The car sat again over the weekend and... time to get out the portable jump starter. Sigh.

My car's current draw while asleep is 60 milliamps. Honda assures me that this is within the range of "normal". Honda also assures me that it's my own stupid fault for not driving the car every single day of my life. I love how my dealership loves to blame me for the fact that they put a toy battery into my vehicle.

So, yeah, I gave Honda America a call and (calmly) let them know that I think their batteries are a bit underwhelming. I expect any vehicle I own to be able to sit outside in the freezing cold for a week without the battery self-destructing. I do go on vacation sometimes, you know. I explained that I was not the only Honda Fit owner who had this issue and hoped they would look into it.

(Thanks to everyone who suggested a battery tender... I wish I could use one. I park on the street. I do not have access to an electrical outlet. My car's 12V outlet isn't powered when the car is off, so a solar trickle charger also does me no good.)

I'm out of warranty, so this next battery won't be free. Since I'm paying out of pocket, I'm giving the finger to Honda OEM batteries and dropping an Optima Yellow Top (D51R) in. With it, I might be able to leave my car unattended for a whole weekend without needing to jump start my vehicle every Monday in the winter. I'm crossing my fingers!
Hi Sibyl and everyone else.

An interesting thread about batteries. I have deduced from reading all 6 pages of posts that Sybil has something that is draining her battery, and her suspicions of the dealer installed accessories are in the right direction. A consistent small current drain will effectively reduce the service life of any battery even the high dollar Optima. The dealer installed accessory wouldn't be a problem if she were driving every day, as the dealer says. On the other hand, since she does only take a couple of short trips every week, it's no wonder the battery goes dead. The only difference I can see between her car and the other's who have posted good battery life is the dealer installed accessory. That is also the only difference I see between her Fit and the previously owned 93 Sentra. Sibyl didn't say if she had a remote start on that vehicle.

For what it's worth, Motor Trend Magazine has rated the Honda Fit as one of the 10 best cars in the world every year since it's introduction. We own two of them in my family. With gas prices soon to hit $3.50 a gallon (this summer is my prediction), and even higher, everyone will want to own a Honda Fit. The SUV market is collapsing once again. Who wants to spend $75 to fill up?? -NO ONE. Just be glad you didn't buy that Hummer or a Jeep Commander!

We love our Honda Fits and you will lose less money on a Honda than any other brand. I've owned two Preludes, an S-2000, one Element, one Civic Hybrid, several regular Civics, and numerous Accords. I'm just waiting for the Fit Hybrid to be introduced in 2012!

Old 01-19-2011, 05:18 AM
The main causes of battery failure:
1. Chronic discharge the battery;
2. Improper operation of lead starter batteries;

Worth a few years of trains in operation:
1. Short trips;
2. Parking enabled consumers of electricity (radio, nevyklyuchennye lamps, power options).

And the failure of the battery is guaranteed.

At least once a year to recharge the battery, check the amount of leakage current and is not limited to short trips.
Ride every day for a distance of no less than 15 miles and you will be happy!

Laws of physics are the same in Russia as in America.
Problems with the battery are the same.

Old 01-19-2011, 10:04 AM
I used my optima yellowtop in all of my honda cars.. NEVER had ANY problem with those (thumbsup)

Old 01-19-2011, 10:25 AM
optima yellowtop differ only increased the maximum value of starting current.
In our cars the same value of starting current of the battery is sufficient.
The problem in low-capacity battery and discharge.
Put a higher capacity battery and do not let them chronic discharge.

Incidentally, the value of the maximum starting current characterizes only the ability to work with such a magnitude of current without damaging the battery itself (buckling of plates, shedding of active mass).

Last edited by alexpan; 01-19-2011 at 10:27 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:54 AM
Originally Posted by alexpan
optima yellowtop differ only increased the maximum value of starting current.
In our cars the same value of starting current of the battery is sufficient.
The problem in low-capacity battery and discharge.
Put a higher capacity battery and do not let them chronic discharge.

Incidentally, the value of the maximum starting current characterizes only the ability to work with such a magnitude of current without damaging the battery itself (buckling of plates, shedding of active mass).
They are gel types also, a BIG improvement over the lead batteries.

You can't compare a 45A lead battery with a 45A Optima yellowtop.. The yellowtop wil outperform the lead battery on every aspect ( except price )

i ALWAYS have troubles with EVERY lead battery i've came across..

The dealership installed a NEW lead battery in my girls fit.. It failed to start after just playing 30min of radio when washing the car..

My 40A optima yellowtop can play about 60-90 minutes of AMPLIFIED radio in my S2K when washing her and still having at least 10,5 Volts...

After this, drive the car 2! miles, shut off engine and voila it has 12.x volts again! They charge QUICK!

Each his own but i really recommend getting a yellowtop. it will last longer than you will probably own the car..

Last edited by Nyther; 01-19-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:10 PM
5 Year Member
The main causes of battery failure:
1. Chronic discharge the battery;
2. Improper operation of lead starter batteries;

Worth a few years of trains in operation:
1. Short trips;
2. Parking enabled consumers of electricity (radio, nevyklyuchennye lamps, power options).

And the failure of the battery is guaranteed.

At least once a year to recharge the battery, check the amount of leakage current and is not limited to short trips.
Ride every day for a distance of no less than 15 miles and you will be happy!

Laws of physics are the same in Russia as in America.
Problems with the battery are the same.
That is good advice Alex. Perhaps if Sibyl would buy a good charger, and give the battery a good 2 amp charge for 3-4 hours once a month, or at least quarterly, her battery would last longer. Do you think?

My 2010 Fit Sport:

SDC11942.jpg?t=1295467745

Old 01-19-2011, 03:17 PM
Why I can not compare a normal battery with gel? Even if the manufacturer of gel batteries does it?
I do not argue good-Optima battery.
If there is a lack of charge, then he too could not start the engine.

usmcdad,
Excellent decision!
In this case, the battery will last longer.

By the way,
I am considering buying Honda Fit 2009 model year from the U.S. instead of their Honda Jazz 2007.

Last edited by alexpan; 01-19-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 05:23 PM
5 Year Member
09 Fit

Alex, my daughter in law has a 2009 BLACK Fit. It is identical to my 2010 Fit, so I am sure you would like it.

Old 01-20-2011, 10:07 AM
Why I can not compare a normal battery with gel? Even if the manufacturer of gel batteries does it?
I do not argue good-Optima battery.
If there is a lack of charge, then he too could not start the engine.

usmcdad,
Excellent decision!
In this case, the battery will last longer.

By the way,
I am considering buying Honda Fit 2009 model year from the U.S. instead of their Honda Jazz 2007.
Offfcourse, if your fuel runs empty the car won't start either...

I'm just saying that the yellowtop can and will take much more load and lasts longer with its capacity before it dies on charge... Because the fact that it charges up so fast, the problem mentioned above should never happen. Unleas you leave the lights or stereo on for a very long period..

Old 01-21-2011, 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by usmcdad
Alex, my daughter in law has a 2009 BLACK Fit. It is identical to my 2010 Fit, so I am sure you would like it.
At what cost is estimated it your car?
How much is a 2009 BLACK Fit?
What's his run, got a car accident?
Automatic or manual transmission?
Nyther, Every human on the.
Russian proverb that clear?

Last edited by alexpan; 01-21-2011 at 06:03 PM.
Old 01-22-2011, 06:39 AM
i have a 2008 fit that i bought new right off the truck. it's been 3 years and 2 1/2 months and i've been through 2 batterys now and i'm on my 3rd. i drive my car every day and charge the battery when needed. the honda factory batterys suck something bad. don't waste your money on them buy aftermarket. and fyi don't buy optima's they're not that good. half the optima's my friend wyane ordered while he carried them he had to send back they were that bad. i went shoping around for batteries lately and every place i went to said they won't carry them anymore.

Old 01-22-2011, 11:57 AM
5 Year Member
At what cost is estimated it your car?
How much is a 2009 BLACK Fit?
What's his run, got a car accident?
Automatic or manual transmission?
Nyther, Every human on the.
Russian proverb that clear?
She bought her 09 FIT was a one owner, 19,000 miles. She paid $11,000 in December 2010. That was a GREAT DEAL, and about $2,000 less than buying from a dealer. If you want to get ripped off, buy from a dealer.

I would recommend getting a DEKA Group 51R battery when your stock battery bites the dust. That's an exact fit replacement for the 2006 up Civic. It's a little bigger than the Fit battery, but it's very easy to modify the stock FIT battery box. If you can cut plastic you can make the Civic battery fit your FIT. More CCA (475 CCA vs 300 CCA for stock), and DEKA is an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) battery that never needs water. I've used them with excellent results for many years.

EAST PENN manufacturing co., inc.: Lead-Acid Batteries; Battery Manufacturers; Thousands of Different Types of Batteries, Cable & Wire Product

Old 01-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Today she came by car Jazz.
Once the battery is ruined ....
New battery for it cost $ 100.
Want to buy a steering wheel with cruise control buttons on the steering wheel, but forum rules do not allow you to create messages in the "buy".
Have to write the message ...

Old 02-08-2011, 02:05 AM
5 Year Member
My 07 fit battery bit it nov last yr. I bought it salvaged so outta warranty, I tried to shop around no shops carried a replacement battery & online suppliers would take some shipping time so I eventually went to the dealer. At the time there was a 10% promo thru honda's website that the attendant got for me (pleasantly surprised) so I think it ended up being like $90. I dont exactly know the history of my car other than it was in NY then salvaged from damage to the tranny plug in some minor accident, probably sat for a bit, but it ended up needing a new battery after like 2.5yrs.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:13 AM
wdb
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by usmcdad
I would recommend getting a DEKA Group 51R battery when your stock battery bites the dust. That's an exact fit replacement for the 2006 up Civic. It's a little bigger than the Fit battery, but it's very easy to modify the stock FIT battery box. If you can cut plastic you can make the Civic battery fit your FIT.
A couple of questions:
  1. Have you actually put one of these (Deka 51R) in a Fit?
  2. If so, did it rub anywhere? (There are posts here describing problems when fitting larger batteries.)
  3. What year was the Fit?
Thanks!

Old 02-12-2011, 07:05 PM
I guess I'm kinda lucky right now. I will have owned my fit for 3 years to the day tomorrow, and I still have the original battery. I have over 40,600 miles on the clock.

I'm hoping it will last a while longer. Of course, my car labored to start when we had that cold weather a couple of days ago, as well as last week, when we were below freezing for several days. Despite cranking slower than normal, my car still fired up.

Anybody else's battery last them over 3 years??

Old 02-12-2011, 09:24 PM
3 and a half

Originally Posted by henryd1981
I guess I'm kinda lucky right now. I will have owned my fit for 3 years to the day tomorrow, and I still have the original battery. I have over 40,600 miles on the clock.

I'm hoping it will last a while longer. Of course, my car labored to start when we had that cold weather a couple of days ago, as well as last week, when we were below freezing for several days. Despite cranking slower than normal, my car still fired up.

Anybody else's battery last them over 3 years??
I've had my original battery for a three and a half years. In subzero weather the fit starts a little slow in my opinion. I recently had my 30K service and expected a battery sales pitch from Honda. I was pleasantly surprised when they said my brakes, clutch AND battery were like new. I'm GOING to install the 51R battery (see similarly named thread at FF) when the time comes but apparently that time is not now. I, by the way, have an aftermarket alarm, subwoofer, GPS, radar detector and other assorted electronic crap drawing juice when the car's on and off. It may sit for 3 days without event. I've done nothing AT ALL as far as battery maintenance. There was some talk of a black battery that came in some fits that was problematic but the white ones (like mine) were supposed to be relatively problem free.

Last edited by feddup; 02-13-2011 at 09:53 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-13-2011, 07:46 AM
5 Year Member
In 5 months I will have had my car for 5 years. My battery is still working just fine. I do put it on a charger with a varying rate of voltage on occasion.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2007 Honda Fit: Original battery dead at two years