1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Any TSB's or solutions for radio reception

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Any TSB's or solutions for radio reception

My FM reception blows donkey balls (I don't listen to AM). Before I bring it in has anyone heard of a fix? A TSB or updated parts or anything? Audio is completely stock, stock radio, speakers, and antenna.

Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
nope but if other fits in your area act similarly they wont do anything

Old 03-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Posts in the NUUDE
Retired Moderator
I have a feelings its most/all Hondas. My moms Accord has butt reception too.
Her antenna is in the rear window I believe?

Maybe FM reception is just going down hill? Theres plenty of other fixes for this.
XM, Sirius, HDRadio

Old 03-07-2009, 08:47 PM
5 Year Member
The antenna is amplified. One or two forum members reported issues with the amplifiers not working. Their reception improved significantly after replacement.

Others have replaced their stub with a Toyota Matrix antenna. The fitting is the same size as the Honda stub but the Matrix antenna is longer. It is reported to clear the hatch but I can't say from first hand experience.

Old 03-08-2009, 11:19 AM
5 Year Member
Oddly enough, my FM reception has gone out entirely twice now. I washed the car day before yesterday, and afterwards, no radio. I have to wonder if the idiot who tried to yank my antenna off the car didn't damage something below the skin. Oddly enough, the radio started working again last night.

Old 03-08-2009, 07:00 PM
Pandora radio on the iPhone for free....FTW

Old 03-09-2009, 01:02 PM
5 Year Member
Check and tighten the antenna first. I had the same issue when I got my Fit, simply tightened it and reception was much better.

Old 03-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Administrator
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Oddly enough, my FM reception has gone out entirely twice now. I washed the car day before yesterday, and afterwards, no radio. I have to wonder if the idiot who tried to yank my antenna off the car didn't damage something below the skin. Oddly enough, the radio started working again last night.
it isnt tight enough and water got in. you got your reception back because it dried out. next time you wash it, feel your headliner....i'd bet it's wet. thats how i knew mine was loose.

Old 03-09-2009, 02:51 PM
I replaced mine with a 16" "toyota matrix" antenna (just do an ebay search; and it does clear the hatch) and it helped only a little...went from 'meh' to 'eh'

Old 03-09-2009, 06:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Rod2Rice
Check and tighten the antenna first. I had the same issue when I got my Fit, simply tightened it and reception was much better.
Looks like I'm going to need to remove my headliner and try accessing it from below. The antenna is snug in the base. I had the same problem earlier when some jackass tried to yank the whole assembly off the car. It was about 10° to 15° off center. I wonder if they didn't break something.

Old 03-13-2009, 02:02 PM
In another thread I think the reception quality was officially termed "Sucktastic".
FM reception is crap here in SE Michigan, but the AM is better than my old 1960's AM portable that has one of the best tuners that I have ever heard.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:06 AM
Frequent FitFreak Poster
My FM reception has always sucked. Even close to major transmission areas where its clear in just about ANY car. Its amazing how shitty it really is in the fit, especially since my accord coupe doesn't have an external antenna, its in the rear windshield, and it gets GREAT reception with factory or aftermarket heads.

I run sirius and CD's or iPod/Zune through aux jack, works just fine. I don't think I am ever listening to the "radio" again

Old 03-21-2016, 12:03 PM
I know that this is an old post but I thought that I would post my 2 cents for anyone searching for answers. I have an 07 GD3 and the radio reception sucked big time after I replaced the head unit with a Pioneer AVH-X3500BHS. I connected all of the wires as recommended and even the 12v for the amplified antenna. The radio was supposed to pickup both analog and digital HD radio but it was picking up just a few. I live in southern california where we have a ton of broadcast signals as well as repeater towers. I replaced the stubby antenna on the roof with a VW Jetta antenna which is about 18" long and yes it cleared the hatch just fine. My radio was significantly better but I sill was not picking up all the stations that I wanted to. So I did some further digging and I worked my way through the inside and removed the interior headliner to access the radio antenna amplifier (located inside under the roof below the antenna). I undid the hex bolt and took a look at the amplifier and it looked fine and was recieving the 12v power. I then looked at the mast connection from the interior of the vehicle and it had rust on it. I spent about an hour and cleaned all of the rust off of the connections and hole where the mast goes through the roof of the fit. I sprayed some electronic contact cleaner on it and bolted it all back. But first i put a ring of silicone around the mast on the roof around the hole (I should have taken pictures). Well loe and belold when I powered the radio on I was receiving everything, it was a 70% improvment of my radio signal. Stations that I didn't even think had an HD broadcast were comming in loud and clear as well as the substations on the HD broadcast. Hopefully this is a help to anyone else looking out there. So if you replace your honda head unit with an aftermarket make sure that you use the 12v amplified wire (because it needs it) and if you are still receiving poor connection replace your antenna and check your amplifier connections.