1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Question: Warranty Void

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 02:05 PM
5 Year Member
Question: Warranty Void

If I was to purchase an aftermarket C/A intake does this void the engine warranty. I would really love to start doing more stuff but as It's my dad's car until I am out of school he refuses to let me do certain modification because he is scared of the warranty terms.

Old 03-31-2009, 02:09 PM
5 Year Member
Only time a warranty is void is if the part that you put in was a direct cause of a failure. Say to add a CAI and it sucks up water into the engine, and the engine siezes, warranty void. Put the CAI and the tranny blows up, you are covered. get it?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:11 PM
5 Year Member
+rep

Thank you! I understand completely, Maybe some new mods are in the near future

Old 03-31-2009, 04:20 PM
HID Addict
ive been telling this to my dad too. plus rep for u too my friend hehe

Old 03-31-2009, 04:25 PM
yeah... i actually got my car from the honda dealership and it came with a aspec CAI and i asked about it and they said only if i was to drive it in a lake or something rediculous to suck up water in it to kill the motor would it void it.

sooooo pretty much, just stay away from lakes, rivers, oceans, flooded roads and ditches and you should be good.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by markwalter
yeah... i actually got my car from the honda dealership and it came with a aspec CAI and i asked about it and they said only if i was to drive it in a lake or something rediculous to suck up water in it to kill the motor would it void it.

sooooo pretty much, just stay away from lakes, rivers, oceans, flooded roads and ditches and you should be good.
Then you should stay away from those major body's of water.

I always wondered how often do CAI's actually cause Hydro Locking.

I am a bit scared to put in a CAI for that reason.

Old 03-31-2009, 04:43 PM
i mean if anything, just dont gun it in the water? idk.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM
5 Year Member
haha i went with the short ram air intake. it was easier to install too. i don't really want an exposed air filter right inside my bumper/fender... if might be different if i lived in cali or some southwestern place. you can only expect so much out of this little engine without doing things other than an intake. i wanted to maintain around the same fuel efficiency too... some of the reasons for the short ram.

i keep seeing the same thing being said about honda's warranties. not all car companies are the same though. Subaru and Mazda will void your warranty on the spot if they see any performace (engine, suspension, etc...) modifications. the entire warranty.

Last edited by Fat Ping Cat; 03-31-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:59 PM
5 Year Member
how bout you not rice your dad's car out? :P. srsly. dont mod the engine. its a waste of money

Old 03-31-2009, 11:15 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Fat Ping Cat
not all car companies are the same though. Subaru and Mazda will void your warranty on the spot if they see any performace (engine, suspension, etc...) modifications. the entire warranty.
Well if they do that you have a nice easy lawsuit on your hands. Read up here.

Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

If you want a good air intake for the Fit, look at the one made by AFE. While its technically a short ram intake, it has a decent sheild to keep as much hot air out as possible. True CAIs on the Fit put the filter in the wheelwell, good for cold air, not good for water. Here is a pic of the AFE

Name:  IMG_0709.jpg
Views: 609
Size:  119.5 KB

Personally I would just throw a K&N drop in filter in there. I had the AFE and Injen short ram, air intake temps got much higher with those than it did with the stock airbox and dropin filter.

Old 04-04-2009, 09:19 AM
5 Year Member
Just ask your dad if he doesn't mind wasting months in court trying to argue that the CAI wasn't the cause of some major engine defect. While the car sits dead in your driveway and you're back on that big yellow bus sitting next to the weird smelly guy that wears the same sweatshirt everyday even though it's 85 out.

If your worried about warranty problems (and it sounds like you dad is) be safe and keep the engine stock.

I wasn’t worried about warranty issues, lowered my car, now my ABS light is on and the dealer won’t even tell me why without charging an arm and a leg for it. But, it’s the risk you run when modding a car. Of course, it's MY car.

Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
5 Year Member
I know nothing about CAIs. My dealer said they would not cover water ingestion.

I was looking at one CAI and it showed improved performance around 5500 rpms and not much of anything around 3000. Well sorry but I am not going to almost redline it for another 5 horses.

Stock sounds good to me and cheaper.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:46 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Black3sr
I know nothing about CAIs. My dealer said they would not cover water ingestion.

I was looking at one CAI and it showed improved performance around 5500 rpms and not much of anything around 3000. Well sorry but I am not going to almost redline it for another 5 horses.

Stock sounds good to me and cheaper.
lol, def don't buy a honda then or any 4banger.

Yea, it isn't likely to happen but when/if it does your screwed. IF he wants an intake...think about sids short ram DIY from autozone/o'reilly's

Old 07-15-2009, 12:48 PM
I live in SoCal and bought mine from Penske Honda in Ontario.

I was driving i the rain and water got sucked up into my engine through the CAI.

Brand was AEM if you care, the car completely shut off and I pulled to the side.

Reason for water being sucked up was because I pulled a STUPID move. I dropped into third gear and tires spun and shoved water in.

Took it to the dealer the next day and they replaced the fried mass air flow sensor for free.

Then water got sucked in again when I was going through a puddle during a bad rain storm and water got sucked up and I had it shut off again.

Took it in for a 2nd time and they fixed it again at no charge.

This happened a third time and on this time they told me its because of the CAI; well DUH!

But they didn't fix it the third time so I took out the down pipe and now its a short air.

IDK if Penske Honda is just a friendly dealer that will actualy help you or if they are all like that.

FYI, I got better performance and MPG when I changed my CAI to the custom SAI!

So just go with the SR

Old 07-15-2009, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
To tell you the truth man, if it's a DD, it really doesn't pay to get an intake. You won't even feel a difference. It may sound beefier but in terms of performance, doesn't make sense. Take the $150-$300 you will spend on an intake and get some JDM styling goodies instead. Just drop in a K&N filter and call it a day.

Also, it depends on the dealer too. Some dealers will void your warranty if they see any performance mod. I've had people tell me that a dealer tried voiding their warranty because they said the intake produced more power which said the transmission couldn't handle it. Now, we know thats straight BS but every dealer is different, some are more pricks than others.

Last edited by Fitguy07; 07-15-2009 at 01:02 PM.
Old 07-16-2009, 02:35 AM
Dealers can say what they would like, but they only have so much say. If one dealer wont do the work go to another Honda dealer.