1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Possible problem with gas tank or filter?

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2009, 08:59 PM
5 Year Member
Possible problem with gas tank or filter?

I have kept track of my mileage since I got my 08 AT. I know about how much gas it will take to fill up after the light goes on. It is about 8.9, or 9.05 if I go for about 10 more miles. I always fill at the same place. Now the tank will not fill up all the way by the first click. It will stop at about 8.5, even after 5 miles over. Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Last edited by ephnit; 04-16-2009 at 09:07 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:05 PM
5 Year Member
Um i dont know maybe its warmer out expansion? or maybe its full? how long has this been happening maybe write down how many miles per tank/gallon you are gettting.

Last edited by sonicsc1; 04-16-2009 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
yah, probably ambient temp has something to do with it.

Old 04-18-2009, 09:29 AM
5 Year Member
gas

Originally Posted by ephnit
I have kept track of my mileage since I got my 08 AT. I know about how much gas it will take to fill up after the light goes on. It is about 8.9, or 9.05 if I go for about 10 more miles. I always fill at the same place. Now the tank will not fill up all the way by the first click. It will stop at about 8.5, even after 5 miles over. Does anyone know why this might be happening?
I can ALWAYS put in 2+ gallons when the pump clicks off. I often put in 12.6 gallons -- in a 10.9 gallon tank... 430 miles...

Old 04-20-2009, 01:48 PM
5 Year Member
I have been tempted to fill after the first click, but have read it is bad for the car. I'm still a novice when it comes to cars. Why is it bad to overfill?

Last edited by ephnit; 04-20-2009 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2009, 01:56 PM
Official Fit Blogger of FitFreak
5 Year Member
cause ive seen folks fill it up so high that it backed out. LOL hahaha

Old 04-20-2009, 02:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ephnit
I have been tempted to fill after the first click, but have read it is bad for the car. I'm still a novice when it comes to cars. Why is it bad to overfill?
Primarily because the vapor control system will get saturated with liquid gasoline instead of vapor. The activated charcoal in most systems can't handle liquid gasoline plus the gasoline that ends up in the system is fuel you aren't burning in your engine.

Personally, I set the pump to the slowest setting and let it click off. Then I pull the handle just long enough to click off again. Roughly 2 tenths of a gallon after the first click at most pumps.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 AM
5 Year Member
gas

Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Primarily because the vapor control system will get saturated with liquid gasoline instead of vapor. The activated charcoal in most systems can't handle liquid gasoline plus the gasoline that ends up in the system is fuel you aren't burning in your engine.

Personally, I set the pump to the slowest setting and let it click off. Then I pull the handle just long enough to click off again. Roughly 2 tenths of a gallon after the first click at most pumps.
if you do your method i garantee you can STILL put in another 2 gallons. again, you have to fill to click, shake the car good back and forth a bit. repeat as necessary till it truly is full. in my case i can see it right up close to the filler neck. if i fill without shaking i only go 330 miles till empty. this method i easily for to 430 miles.

as far as fouling the evaporater system, i have been hearing that old wives tale for 35 years. could be me but i think technology has advanced a bit. i personally have NEVER heard of this happening. again, an old wives tail that MAY have been true at one time but has long since dissapeared but the story has stuck around because of people not knowing better. no offense to anyone who thinks this.

and when you look at the Fit fuel system you can see how i can fit the 2 extra gallons. the fuel line has to make it down then forward to the gas tank under the seat. air gets trapped in the tank and line... and the filler line is what, close to 2 1/2 inches in diameter? i have ben doing this nearly every fill up for over 26,000 miles. not one issue....

Old 04-22-2009, 08:30 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by rocksnap
as far as fouling the evaporater system, i have been hearing that old wives tale for 35 years.
Be that as it may, why risk it? Also, why waste the additional time and effort just to squeeze a little more fuel in the car? I don't understand. I can't be because you're hoping to save money by catching gas at a lower price, right? Even with a $.20/gal difference, you're only talking about $2.00 a tank...

I usually average 400+ miles per tank and stop filling after the second click.

Old 04-25-2009, 09:26 AM
5 Year Member
gas

Originally Posted by E = Mc2
Be that as it may, why risk it? Also, why waste the additional time and effort just to squeeze a little more fuel in the car? I don't understand. I can't be because you're hoping to save money by catching gas at a lower price, right? Even with a $.20/gal difference, you're only talking about $2.00 a tank...

I usually average 400+ miles per tank and stop filling after the second click.
time and effort? i spend no more than 1 min doing the shake and fill thing. to go an extra 100 miles. start doing the math if i filled every 330 miles compared to every 430 miles. the time it takes to find a gas station. fill up to second click, then get back to where you were. sounds like a lot more time over the period of fill ups to do it your way. i would much rather stop less for gas, not more.

my drive to work is 117 miles. never mind the milage while i am either home or there for several days. your way, i would have to fill every round trip. my way i can make it 1 1/2 times. i fill my way so i can save time. PRICE of gas has nothing to do with it. where in my responses did i say price had ANYTHING to do with it. please don't put words in my mouth... and exactly what am i risking again? please don't tell me i could be hurting my evaporater system, that does NOT happen...

if you are getting such great milage going two clicks, try doing the shake method and see how far you can go. by your reports of milage, i bet you can go over 500 miles! show me the proof! if you can...

Old 04-25-2009, 10:56 AM
5 Year Member
<self edit>

Nevermind. Not worth the stress.

Old 04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
5 Year Member
OP, I think you're fine. Unless, maybe, someone decided they hated you enough to put a bunch of crap in your gas tank and it's taking up the extra space. As far as the people arguing about how best to fill up your car with gas.... WHY?! You put some gas in and then you drive away. It is supposed to be ****ing simple. You're doing it wrong.