1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Fit DX - installing rear door speakers

Old 06-08-2009, 02:47 PM
5 Year Member
Question Fit DX - installing rear door speakers

I have base 2007 Fit DX (Canadian model) which is equipped only with 2 speakers in the front door. Have any of you tried installing after market speakers in the rear door? If so, what parts are needed in addition to the speaker (i.e. any additional wiring required)? Also, what size speakers fit into the rear door- and did the sound quality improve noticeably? Also, how much would did it cost to install?
Just trying to determine if it's worthwhile to install the rear speakers!

Old 06-08-2009, 03:43 PM
Without having a manual in front of me, my best guess is that there is already wiring in the door harness for speakers, if you pop off your rear door panels, the door itself propbably has a hole for the speaker to sit in as well. Can you take pictures of the rear door with and without the panel on?

Old 06-17-2009, 10:47 AM
There are already wires in the doors and the wires are already hooked up to the stereo.

You will likely need some kind of speaker mount. I made a ring out of 3/8 plywood to mount the speaker to and screwed the plywood to the inner door.

You could buy the stock speakers from the dealership and use them(no plywood required) and install them yourself. You will end up paying too much for 2 cheap speakers though.

It really makes no sense to me why they didn't include rear speakers in the base model, for the $10 it would cost to put them in they really should have.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:55 AM
5 Year Member
Rear speakers are a waste. Spend the money to put better speakers in the front doors.

Old 06-17-2009, 04:06 PM
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
Rear speakers are a waste. Spend the money to put better speakers in the front doors.
I keep hearing the same thing. But having nice speakers in both front and rear, wouldn't that give you a better overall sound? I guess I just like the all around feel of a system. haha..

Old 06-17-2009, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
They won't influence what you hear in the front and just rob power from the factory radio. The only time they're somewhat useful is if they're in the rear deck of a coupe or sedan where the sound can bounce off the window and go towards the front, even then it's still only more useful as fill.

Old 06-17-2009, 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by Arisenfury
They won't influence what you hear in the front and just rob power from the factory radio. The only time they're somewhat useful is if they're in the rear deck of a coupe or sedan where the sound can bounce off the window and go towards the front, even then it's still only more useful as fill.
I find they greatly influence what you hear. I have a tweeter in the rear speakers and it enhances what comes from the front speakers.(I will be upgrading all 4 speakers soon so that may not be the best point)

Its much louder with 4 speakers for people that like to rock. Definetly the cheapest way to get a few more db's

Its easier to converse with passengers in the rear with 4 speakers at low volume than the front speakers blasting me so the rear passengers can hear. (can also fade tunes for my toddler to the rear so I don't hear the kids songs as much.

I don't understand what you mean by robbing power from the factory radio. With the fader centered it uses twice as much power with 4 speakers, but doesn't distort or clip the sound at full volume any more than it does with only the front speakers on. Perhaps your mistaken about how the fader works?

Last edited by Super_Jay; 06-18-2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old 06-19-2009, 03:37 PM
5 Year Member
Front and rear upgrades are always a benefit. A more efficient speaker won't "rob" power from the stock deck.... and if someone's worried about that, they have already ripped the stock system out!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:04 PM
having properly setup speakers in the front will produce a very open and accurate sound stage....having speakers in the rear would ruin the imaging and sound stage in the front

Old 06-19-2009, 04:17 PM
5 Year Member
Hello. Come to america and buy a fit here. we come with 4 speakers and small little tweeters!

Old 06-19-2009, 04:29 PM
5 Year Member
Im with everybody else. dont waste you time on putting speakers in the rear. You are better off just making the front soundstage better. Putting speakers in rear will move the soundstage toward the rear if they are not set up properly. I dont have any speakers in the rear and I cant tell the difference. Can people in the back? maybe, but since it is my car I wanted it to sound the best to me, not the passengers in the rear.

Old 06-19-2009, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by mike410
Im with everybody else. dont waste you time on putting speakers in the rear. You are better off just making the front soundstage better. Putting speakers in rear will move the soundstage toward the rear if they are not set up properly. I dont have any speakers in the rear and I cant tell the difference. Can people in the back? maybe, but since it is my car I wanted it to sound the best to me, not the passengers in the rear.
I agree 100%! I have a DX, and have only upgraded the fronts (no rear speakers). It's my car, and I don't usually have anyone in the back, so for me, it's what's up front that counts. YMMV

Old 02-20-2010, 09:20 AM
Hello to everyone from bonnie Scotland,

I am new to this excellent site.

I wonder if anyone can help please. I have a first generation honda fit/jazz 2007.

I wont to install rear speakers. The only way I think to get the rear door panels off is by removing the screws from the lock of the door down the side of the door.

Is this the right way to go about it? The speaker mesh does not seem to pop off and the only screws I can see are around the door locks. I feel this is a silly question.

Anyway thanks in advance of any sympathetic help from more technically minded guys across the pond.

Best wishes to the fab USA

Brian from Perth in Scotland

Old 02-20-2010, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YA2_user_GD3
Hello. Come to america and buy a fit here. we come with 4 speakers and small little tweeters!

the amount of speakers has nothing to do with what country he's in and everything to do with what model he chose to buy.

Personelly I think that putting a set of speakers in the rear would be a worthwile upgrade. Yes it will produce sound from the rear duh, but I have driven the same vehicle (work vehicle, 2003 had only front speakers 2007 with front/rear) and it makes a huge difference in sound quality and volume IMO

Old 10-27-2010, 03:19 PM
5 Year Member
Question factory stereo specs

Does anyone know what the specs are for the factory stereo for the 2007 Fit DX (Canada model)? Also, what are the specs compared to the 2007 Fit Sport? I heard that the factory stereo Fit Sport has more features, but what about the power output etc?