1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Firing on 3 cylinders?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 01:23 PM
Cool Firing on 3 cylinders?!?!

So I have an 07' Fit sport automatic, 86k. It started shuttering and shaking, at first between gears, and then almost constantly. It caused the car to stall several times at stops, or when I would put it in reverse to back out of a parking spot.

My initial ideas was the Throttle position sensor. I brought it to Curry Honda in Chicopee, MA. and they've had it for a week now.
They've checked the fuel and fuel filter. Both fine. They just replaced all of the spark plugs, though they were only slightly worn, but it didn't help. There next step, which is expensive, is to replace all 4 of the fuel injectors.

The engine codes, btw, say it is misfiring on 3 of the 4 cylinders?!

They have Honda corporate involved, but right now they're kinda guessing and I can't afford their guess work.

Any ideas? I would be happy to provide any other info I have.

Last edited by bleaubyou; 09-08-2009 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Forgot vital information.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:50 PM
5 Year Member
someone had the same problem and used fuel injection cleaner? it worked like a charm. I'd also recommend trying this out, major problem on alot of Acura RSXs, worked well on my sister's RSX

IAC Valve Cleaning Guide w/pics - Club RSX Message Board

Old 09-08-2009, 03:53 PM
5 Year Member
A bad ignition coil?

Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 PM
5 Year Member
oh yeah!! duh.. haha is it possible to disconnect the plugs individually to see if it affects the way the engine runs?

Old 09-09-2009, 08:08 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by bleaubyou
So I have an 07' Fit sport automatic, 86k. It started shuttering and shaking, at first between gears, and then almost constantly. It caused the car to stall several times at stops, or when I would put it in reverse to back out of a parking spot.

My initial ideas was the Throttle position sensor. I brought it to Curry Honda in Chicopee, MA. and they've had it for a week now.
They've checked the fuel and fuel filter. Both fine. They just replaced all of the spark plugs, though they were only slightly worn, but it didn't help. There next step, which is expensive, is to replace all 4 of the fuel injectors.

The engine codes, btw, say it is misfiring on 3 of the 4 cylinders?!

They have Honda corporate involved, but right now they're kinda guessing and I can't afford their guess work.

Any ideas? I would be happy to provide any other info I have.

Sounds like the spark plug/coil problem reported by many.

Old 09-09-2009, 04:21 PM
I had the mechanics do the fuel injection cleaning.....IT WORKED!!!! Thanks Jason, you saved me over $600 in unnecessary work.

Old 09-11-2009, 12:31 AM
I recently changed my fuel injectors... I had a problem after installing them! i was running on 3... so i made sure of this by starting the engine.. leaving it to tick over. then disconnecting 1 fuel injector at a time (while the engine is running) if the engine sounds like its gonna die or if it stalls then connect it back up again and you know that injector is working fine! do this for all 4 injectors.. if you come across a fuel injector that makes no difference to being connected or not you will straight away know that particular injector is screwed in some way...
Yes injector cleaner can clean your injectors very well! but save your money first and disconnect the injectors 1 by 1! if u do find 1 of the injectors not working then i would recommend u tell honda! they will only remove the injector and see if it works. if you dont wana go back to honda then simply by the injector cleaner and clean the injector your self and prey that it works.. if not then you might need a new injector.. or maybe a set :s dont know if you can buy them separately.

Good luck dude!