1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Un-Fit after 39K

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 05:42 PM
5 Year Member
Hey JDM Chris, how often do you change your transmission fluid? I'm almost 50k without one change yet. Shiiiit.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:51 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by secondspassed
It may say up there he's a "Senior Member" but if you look at his join date it shows he's still somewhat of a newb. Also, the *real* "Senior Members" usually act like pricks anyway.
Are you referring to time on this forum, or chronological age? Not that I can't be a PITA...

Old 09-20-2009, 05:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Selden
Are you referring to time on this forum, or chronological age? Not that I can't be a PITA...
Time on the forum for sure. Our geezers are usually very helpful and friendly.

Old 09-20-2009, 05:59 PM
5 Year Member
its just one of those moments

Old 09-20-2009, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Hey die lawn, why dont you ease up huh?

For the TC im sorry that happened to your fit, im at about 32k on mine and im really hoping i dont run into this problem. I still got some miles left on the warranty and im thinking about taking it in to be looked over.

Im having some kind of second gear crunch problem i cant figure out because i drive slow and smooth. I usually keep it under 3k rpm when i shift, but it still happens sometimes.

Last edited by Mr_Kunio; 09-20-2009 at 06:39 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
wdb
5 Year Member
I'm not a fan of people joining forums just to complain either. I prefer contribution. If all you are here to do is complain, I'll soon put you in my ignore list. But I also give benefit of doubt, so here's my contribution.

39k miles here, clutch and MT are as good as new. I'm fairly careful with them.

I'd say you have two problems: a lemon Fit, and a questionable dealer. Broken axle? You would have noticed a broken axle, believe me. However it does have to be r&r'd when doing a clutch; so, hmmm, maybe the dealer broke something and is just getting you to pay for it? If so, maybe the dealer broke something when doing the starter too, and that led to your clutch problems? Or maybe the dealer's balance sheet doesn't look too hot in this weak market, and they're drumming up profits in their service department?

You say "no more Hondas". I say "too quick to judge".

Old 09-20-2009, 06:48 PM
5 Year Member
anyways JDM chris.. that tranny fluid, how often do you change it? Some people have literally told me every 5k miles. thats extreme.

Last edited by YA2_user_GD3; 09-20-2009 at 06:52 PM.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:43 PM
Banned
Would be interesting to hear the whole chain of events that lead to clutch replacement. It was just the clutch right? Did you take it in to the dealer for clutch problems or did they tell you it was bad? Did your starter quit working? Doesn't seem like the Fit would have enough torque to break an axle either.

Originally Posted by Roadent
Uh oh, I have a problem with my '09 Fit clutch. the clutch doesn't activate until it is almost all the way out.
You should definitely get that looked at. My '09 grabs with the clutch around 1/2 way up or less. Might need the hydraulics bled or something.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YA2_user_GD3
Hey JDM Chris, how often do you change your transmission fluid? I'm almost 50k without one change yet. Shiiiit.
Severe conditions transmission fluid change interval is 30,000 miles.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
what constitutes as severe conditions? and i'm just curious on chris's car cause he doesn't necessarily baby it up and does have the added stress of his super charger.

Old 09-21-2009, 12:24 AM
Thanks, I was beginning to feel like the guy who shouts death to America at a Boy Scouts meeting. Admittedly, I should have done some research on this forum before posting. Anyway, I'm taking everyone's suggestions into account and try to sum up my situation leading up to the clutch failure. Bear with me, I'm not really a car guy. A second dealer (not the one who replaced the clutch) suggested that we may not have adjusted our driving style to the (new) drive by wire (as opposed to pneumatic) transmission. Any thoughts on this?

Old 09-21-2009, 02:36 AM
I run THIS
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by YA2_user_GD3
what constitutes as severe conditions? and i'm just curious on chris's car cause he doesn't necessarily baby it up and does have the added stress of his super charger.
Ive changed it once. 25-30k is good.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:49 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by JDMchris.com
Ive changed it once. 25-30k is good.
haha dang. yeah im about to change mine real soon when i have time. dealer wants 80 bucks which to me is bs...... ive changed the mtf on a 8th gen civic si and its the same for the fit.

but man im shocked cuz the guy i spoke with is running the turbo on his fit and told me 5k. i like the idea of 5k-10k a lot but i jus dont have the money and time to do it that often.

thanks for ur input jdmchris

Old 09-21-2009, 07:00 AM
Banned
Originally Posted by eddie.b
Thanks, I was beginning to feel like the guy who shouts death to America at a Boy Scouts meeting. Admittedly, I should have done some research on this forum before posting. Anyway, I'm taking everyone's suggestions into account and try to sum up my situation leading up to the clutch failure. Bear with me, I'm not really a car guy. A second dealer (not the one who replaced the clutch) suggested that we may not have adjusted our driving style to the (new) drive by wire (as opposed to pneumatic) transmission. Any thoughts on this?
What was the car doing that made you take it in to the dealer in the first place?

The throttle is what's drive by wire. That shouldn't have had much effect on the clutch. Clutch itself is hydraulic. Never heard of a pneumatic trans. Honda clutches have been hydraulic for a long time. The Fit does have a restrictor that causes the clutch to release more slowly though.

Can you briefly describe what symptoms you were experiencing that caused you to take the car in? Had you noticed something with the clutch, axle and starter? What exactly happened?

Old 09-21-2009, 11:56 AM
Sorry, I meant hydraulic. What the dealer meant was drive by wire vs drive by cable, right? (The starter was a separate incident that happened at 34K miles. The battery was fully charged and there was no turnover at all.) The transmission problem happened at 39K when my wife was in NY (we live in Chicago). She called and said when she put the car in gear the engine revved and response was very slow. She claimed that until that day there was no sign of a problem. She was able to drive it to the dealer and was told the clutch needed replacing for $900, and also a broken front axle for $400. What he didn't explain was it was a broken CV boot, and they were replacing the entire axle anyway. When I called and complained about the clutch going so soon, he said a Honda rep. "was visiting anyway" and would take a look. They ended up writing off the axle, and charged for the clutch only. I know there are factors that will cause our clutch to go quicker than some other owners'. Lots of stop and go city driving, and camping in the mountains with the car loaded (not overloaded) with gear. But that doesn't explain why the Fit would fail at 39K when the other two cars were ok after 100K+ miles. (I've always bragged about how reliable my Hondas are, but the Fit is causing me some embarassment.)

Old 09-21-2009, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
That'll happen. Its better to replace the whole axle when the boot is broken anyways. The old cable clutches were great. Being able to adjust the pedal freeplay was the best part about it.

Im still getting used to the hydraulic shifting on my fit but its really smooth

Old 09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Banned
He might be right about you not being used to the hydraulic clutch. Still seems early for the clutch to go. I've noticed the Fit clutch needs let out fast to grab(at least on the 2009).

The old cable clutches take a more gentle touch with more feel. Seems like the Fit was made to be easy to drive. Still a little odd that it went so early. Will be interesting to see how long the new clutch lasts.

Old 09-21-2009, 05:07 PM
So easy you can literally shift with your little finger. I've considered going to the dealer and have a mechanic ride with me to "correct" my shifty shifting if necessary.