1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Front ABS Sensor Rust/Corrosion

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Front ABS Sensor Rust/Corrosion

So I'm have my front bearings replaced at 65,000 miles (seems early for a Honda, but I already posted in that thread), and the repair guy called and said the ABS sensors in the front had corroded themselves in the mechanism, it was a mix of cheap plastic and metal, and he needed to replace them 'cause they couldn't be removed without damaging them.

Thoughts?

Old 02-06-2010, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by FSchmertz
So I'm have my front bearings replaced at 65,000 miles (seems early for a Honda, but I already posted in that thread), and the repair guy called and said the ABS sensors in the front had corroded themselves in the mechanism, it was a mix of cheap plastic and metal, and he needed to replace them 'cause they couldn't be removed without damaging them.

Thoughts?
Most cars, all makes have this issue. It is just like that for some reason. I think it has to do with a chemical reaction of some sort. When the new snsr's get installed try lubing them with Sil glide (synthetic lube) this may help.

Old 02-06-2010, 03:08 PM
The ABS sensors are plastic, that's obviously not gonna corrode. They slot into holes in the knuckle/spindle, which could conceivably rust/corrode enough to seize the sensor . . . but I can't see it as being very common. A few seconds with a wire brush and a rubber mallet popped my rear ones out no problem. Maybe the fronts are more prone to problems.

How much salt/weather do you drive in?

Old 02-06-2010, 03:32 PM
Originally Posted by Daemione
The ABS sensors are plastic, that's obviously not gonna corrode. They slot into holes in the knuckle/spindle, which could conceivably rust/corrode enough to seize the sensor . . . but I can't see it as being very common. A few seconds with a wire brush and a rubber mallet popped my rear ones out no problem. Maybe the fronts are more prone to problems.

How much salt/weather do you drive in?
Lots of salt on the roads in Ontario. I am a Honda tech and see this happen all the time. All makes have this issue, because they dont want to pay the extra cost of the lube when manufacturing. Remember 1 cent per car adds up when you make thousands of them.