1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

a/c evaporator question....

Old 04-07-2010, 01:01 PM
a/c evaporator question....

I have an '08 honda fit base and the a/c stopped working so i took it in to find out what was up. turns out the evaporator is leaking. they replaced the coolant and it worked for a week and now it's shitty again.

they called me with an estimate and it was $900 bucks to have this fixed. the part itself is $300.

my question is...i found the part on ebay for $80 bucks.

i know nothing about cars and was wondering if i should just order the cheaper part? does it matter?

thanks for any help!

Old 04-07-2010, 01:33 PM
5 Year Member
A/C leaks

Dealer Quote? If so they Will Not use anything but Honda Parts. A local shop may use the parts you bring in ?? Because they buy the parts they like to use, mark them up and make a little bit of $ them too. The Fit is FAMOUS for getting Condencers leaks, they get hit with rocks from the road. Make sure it's the Evaporator (inside the car) and not the Condencer ( in front of the grill). If it's the Evap the dash will need to come out to get to the Evaporator coil. I belive.

Sorry about the spelling I was finishing lunch @ work.
Hope this makes alittle more sense.

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-08-2010 at 06:55 PM.
Old 04-07-2010, 01:44 PM
5 Year Member
I hope I never have to deal with a problem like that, but I do have the ridiculously priced extended warranty just in case..... If it happens it will be after it expires, it seems like that is always the way things work out.

Old 04-07-2010, 03:24 PM
no, i had the a/c checked at pepboys. they called honda and got a quote for the evaporator because they told me that aftermarket evaporators aren't available. but i found them on ebay for $200 cheaper than name brand.

are those reliable? and also, is pepboys reliable?

i'm probably going to find an independent shop because they're most likely cheaper than pepboys...pretty much $500 in labor costs.

i dunno. any more advice is appreciated.

(i'm from the south and pregnant...need my a/c working!)

Old 04-07-2010, 06:01 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Making sure your Sure! b4 U spend ur $

Check to see if the Fit is still under warranty. If so the evaporator will be covered, but the condencer will not. Standard is 36K miles or 3 years. But my reading in this forum for the last 2 years I have not read about one evaporator leaking. Many many condensers have leaked.
I work with A/C so I do have experience here, 1st thing how did they (Pepboys) come to the conclusion it was the Evp.? There are 2-3 tests done to pinpoint a leak. The 1st is dye in the system it's floresenct dye and a ultraviolet light is used to see the leak. 2nd is electronic leak tester, it beeps faster when refrigerant come in contact with the probe. 3rd is ultra sonic and is usually not used in automotive.

So 1st find out why pepboys said the evap. is the problem. Which test did they use, and sound like you are knowledgeable, or they will take you for a ride and ur $. Use terms like "refrigerant" and not "coolant" .... coolant goes in your radiator and refrigerant goes into your A/C system. and yes most coils are worthy they are designed to do a certain job and the manf. will stand behind their product, but be sure to ask the seller staight up is this evap. or cond. coil guaranteed.
If the manager @ pepboys dosen't sound truthful GET OUT and take your $ with you. The next place you have check the leak ask them how they check for the leaks. Most mechanics will be impressed that your knowagble about your car. And will give you the benifit of the dout.
Keep us in the loop, and I pray all will go well for you and this little problem.

PS you having a boy or a girl?

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 04-07-2010 at 06:21 PM.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by tiff2006
I have an '08 honda fit base and the a/c stopped working so i took it in to find out what was up. turns out the evaporator is leaking. they replaced the coolant and it worked for a week and now it's shitty again.

they called me with an estimate and it was $900 bucks to have this fixed. the part itself is $300.

my question is...i found the part on ebay for $80 bucks.

i know nothing about cars and was wondering if i should just order the cheaper part? does it matter?

thanks for any help!
how many miles do you have on your car? if you have 36,000 miles or less, you should not have to pay one single penny as that should be covered under warranty.