1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Clicking noise while accelerating?

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Clicking noise while accelerating?

Wondering if anyone else has had this problem.
I have a 2007 Fit Sport 86K on the engine, and just replaced spark plugs and put in a new battery.

I am hearing a metal pling noise approx 1 sec apart from each other after accelerating over 20 MPH.

The harder I accelerate the pling speeds up along with the acceleration, the minute i slow down or simply slow the acceleration it disappears.

it sounds like it is coming from the passenger side front tire?

anyone have a clue as to where the best place to start looking would be.

Old 09-06-2010, 07:37 PM
5 Year Member
Question

The front pasenger's side tire..... dawa, no really if the noise is coming from there start by removing the tire and inspecting that area brakes, suspention, steering and lugnuts.
I have a clacking /rubbing noise under hard excelleration but I know it's the shock tower brace vibrating against the T.B. gaurd. Let us know what you see/find in there GL beechboy90

Welcome to FF were we won't give up till it's fixxed!

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 09-06-2010 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-06-2010, 08:34 PM
5 Year Member
Weird. Since it's somehow correlated to your acceleration, I wonder if a moving part is involved?

Could be anything from the wheel or wheel bearing to belt or pulley(s). This is just my hunch from what you described.

If it's coming from the passenger side, it might be engine-related. Try isolating the causes. Does it happen when you rev the engine at a standstill in Neutral? If it doesn't you could probably rule out the engine belt or pulleys - might be more of a wheel or wheel bearing kind of thing.

Old 09-07-2010, 09:42 AM
As Type 100 said above, plus do the simple thing (I always start with simple and cheapest solutions) and make sure you don't have a rock or something in your tires. If this started immediately or very soon after changing the plugs, I'd also double-check that none are loose and leaking. Keep us posted; abnormal sounds are very difficult to localize, particularly when they only occur when moving.

Old 09-07-2010, 05:43 PM
It sounds like the wheel bearing issue

Old 09-07-2010, 05:59 PM
Sweet,
I did not think I would have a bearing issue after only 86K miles. . . then again I did not think I would have to replace the spark plugs and battery as well.
Looks like I am taking off a tire this week.
I will report my findings and probably post pictures of the resolution.
thanks all for the assistance.
I was a proud owner of a 96 civic hatchback in Midori green pearl I drove off the lot and put on 246,000 miles before I sold her and only had a slave clutch cylinder and the normal brakes and tires maintained. Thus I will stay with Honda, they have always been good to me.

Old 09-07-2010, 06:23 PM
5 Year Member
CV joints make clicking sounds before going bad but usually while turning.... The space of one second between the clicks unless at slower speeds doesn't sound right.... I would look at the metal bands that secure the rubber boot on the right CV joint.

Old 10-18-2010, 07:17 AM
5 Year Member
I have the same problem on my drivers side, im only at 28k miles. i think its the wheel bearing. but im going to take apart the bearing and check it out.

Old 10-21-2010, 10:53 AM
5 Year Member
If aftermarket spark plugs were used, the noise under load can be from detonation (ping). try to accelerate at slow pace and then "pedal to the metal" while going uphill and see if that noise changes

Old 10-22-2010, 03:26 PM
5 Year Member
my noise is from my drivers side wheel bearing, $60 at Honda (buy from honda!!! the bearing has ABS sensors inside). I took the bearing apart to change the wheel studs. the bearing never sealed tight, that and a +20 offset put alot of stress on the bearing.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:31 PM
5 Year Member
i also snapped 2 wheels studs and bent 1, change it before its too late

Old 01-27-2011, 08:19 PM
LADIES AND GENTLEMEN!! I have now solved my strange ticking issue.
In case anyone is curious, here goes.
Check engine light came on awhile back , and faulted misfires in number1 and 4 cylinders.
I went to my local auto part shop and grabbed some replacement plugs, and all went well. Sadly until about 2 months ago, when it began misfiring again.
I took it in to Honda Cars of Bradenton (Awesome Honda Dealership!!)
They checked the plugs and saw that the ends were melting.
We came to the conclusion that Iridium plugs are the ONLY types of plugs I should be using. Since the Plugs were bad the ended up screwing up my #4 Coil Pack.
Once the Coil Pack was replaced... TA DAAAA.. My guess is that the clicking was the Spark Plugs detonating and arcing into the sides of the cylinder so it would not click in time with the engine or wheels, but simply the firing of 1 spark Plug. I think it is sad that the plugs went at only 80,000 miles, as they were all telling me that they did not need to be changed until 100,000 miles. thus the clicking lasted for way too long.
In case anyone finds it interesting. Be sure to only use Iridium Spark plugs!!

Old 01-27-2011, 08:41 PM
5 Year Member
If the spark plugs weren't torqued down they would leak as they ignited the compressed air fuel mixture and make a clicking sound... This would create a lean burn situation that could create enough heat to melt the electrodes and more.

Old 01-27-2011, 11:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by beechboy90
I took it in to Honda Cars of Bradenton (Awesome Honda Dealership!!)
yea

i have my car serviced there for the stuff i don't have tools/time for (A/T flush anyone?) and one of the service managers is really nice. hell, he gave me his home phone and talked about if i was doing any work and came up with questions to call him

i think my rear sway bar and the fact that i actually knew what i was coming in for allowed him to appreciate me. especially when the guy behind me came in....ugh.

and that is the first time i've heard of sparkplugs being able to do that but i also remember my grandfather literally double checking everything he did on the spark plugs and distributor cap on his trucks when i was younger. and tellin' me not to do it if i wasn't going to do it right.