1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

ABS and VSA light on?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:51 AM
ABS and VSA light on?

Hi there!

I've had a "problem" with my Jazz the last couple of months. My ABS and VSA lights wont go off. When i start the car, and while backing up the light "flicker" very weakly, but as soon as i put the car in drive and go, the lights come on. The other day when i was going home from work, the light were off, both of them! I was quite glad, but the joy was short lived. the next day the lights were back on. I've had my Jazz to my Honda dealer but they said the car wont communicate with them through the troubleshooting port thingy (under the driver side dash, ODT-port?) and they thought it was because i had put in a stereo, that some of the cables may have come to interfer and blah blah, yet i've had my sub and speakers in for about a year before it happened.
It should be said that the car was in after an accident about a year ago, and it was repaired by a Ford dealer (dont ask me why, ask norwegian insurance -_-).
Anyway, i wonder if anyone knows what the problem might be, and if this is something i can take a look at?

Thanks,
larshnordli

Old 09-14-2010, 11:29 PM
5 Year Member
I have had 2 ABS sensors replaced. Both under warranty, so that would be my diagnosis. I have an 07 GD3 thi first one happend after about one year of owning the vehicle. ABS light came on, then it would be off for an hour then come back on. after about 2-3 days it stayed on. Worked at a dealer at the time and that was it replaced no problem.

Sounds like that might be the issue.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:06 AM
Okay, thanks!
I'll ask my dealer for the price. Most surely i wont get it under warranty (though the car IS under warranty) because of my stereo. I know the stereo is not the problem, but still.. the dealer's word is the word that count.

thanks again,
larshnordli

Old 09-15-2010, 11:12 AM
5 Year Member
Why not put the stock stereo back in just to verify that's not what is causing your issue? Then, if they stay on, leave the stock stereo in place and take it back to the dealership so they can't try to say it's the aftermarket unit causing the problem?

A dealership is going to try to point blame at anything they can as long as it keeps the money from coming out of their own pockets to correct something. If you take away all of those options, they'll eventually be left with no other solution then to check out the issue, and hopefully, fix it free of charge.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:22 AM
yeah, i might do just that! as you are saying, i bet they spend more time checking out things to blame for the problem than actually checking out the real problem. I'll try taking it all out this weekend and go down there on monday. I'll keep you guys posted!

again, thanks!
larshnordli

Old 04-08-2012, 07:16 AM
5 Year Member
VSA and ABS warning light sometimes on

What was the solution? Or are you driving around with VSA and ABS light on and off? I noticed my lights, VSA and ABS, on soon after a 'U' turn and a three point turn manoeuvre in short succession the other day. Sometimes when I start the car and drive there are no warning lights . Can I ask if anyone can tell me where the ABS relay is or have a labelled diagram of the fuse board (I have the fuse identities but not the relays). I know the fuse diagram is in the footwell next to bonnet release. My gut suspects the connectors, relay or dirt on ABS sensor. Thanks! In advance.

Old 04-08-2012, 04:24 PM
I didnt have any luck fixing it myself, so i took it to the dealer for repair. They said it was the ABS-sensor in car's computer. They had to change the sensor in order for it to work properly again. So after a ton of money i finally got it fixed i hope it all works out for you!

Old 04-09-2012, 10:29 AM
5 Year Member
:Ah! I see. When it stops raining here (it hasn't stopped raining since a 'Draught Order' (hosepipe ban) came into effect last Thursday) I will remove each wheel and 'look' at each sensor and blow out with air line, as I suspect that possibly some debris has blocked it's function. Many years ago on a Saab 9000 I had it happen that ABS fault turned out to be rust flake stuck (magnetic) to the sensor head. The car has it's original wheels really corroded and paint flaking and falling off. Also if I can find the connectors I will inspect and test them and use contact spray if I can. I'll let you know what I find as the Car is only 1 week old to me now (it's a Dec 2008 1.4 Jazz EX (UK) with only 8000 miles 8K )

Old 04-10-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
I just come across a 'scanning tool' U480 CAN-Bus OBDII OBD2 EOBD. Does anyone know if this will work on our Honda Jazz's and Fit's? I removed, cleaned and replaced the front ABS sensors today but do I need to reset or clear the fault (VSA and ABS) to see if it has worked? Does anyone know how these sensors work?Are they inductive, capacitive or magnetic? What resistance could be measured etc. etc.?
UPDATE I bought a scan tool (D900 version 2012) but it doesn't seem to communicate fully, I have tried as Honda and also 'Other'. I must admit that out of the list of cars listed, including Honda, it did not list Jazz (or Fit) but I took a chance that it was OBD2 compatible. After selecting Honda as the manufacturer the displays runs through a list of what I believe to be standards like keyword, J1850 PYM VPV ...., ISO 9141, J1850, CAN, etc etc. Then says 'Unable to establish a link with the vehicle. Verify connection at DLC and ignition is ON'.
Any help or insight into this will be helpful and appreciated.
Anyway after these attempt the warnings were no longer there but today they are back.
I was happy yesterday as I made myself a New Honda Jazz (also New Civic and insight) USB cord (P/N 39114-TFO-003) for about £5 and a little soldering, where Honda wanted about £70. I have plugged in my 16Gb microSD via my USB port and can play MP3's etc. Also plugged in my iphone 4 and it shows as iPOD and then able to control music and displays Album title, artist track etc. I may post pictures and instruction in a relevant thread. Also works the my HTC HD2. Both charging at the same time too. While still working as Navigators (IgoMyWay and IGO8).

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 04-15-2012 at 04:14 AM.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:23 AM
5 Year Member
I have found that the 3rd small pin in the front row of the multi connector on the ABS/VSA module is bent down. Rather than remove the 4 brake lines and have to bleed on reassembly can I unscrew (torx screws) the black plastic box fitted to the unit or is this non serviceable or has 'O' ring or gasket that will or may need replacing. I'll try to add a picture.
damn! don't know how to add picture from my iphone or computer. how can i add picture from PC. I only get a http thing up when I click add picture.
Extra. I assume the black plastic box attached to the brake manifold is the VSA module I assume. new is £1914 +

Last edited by GSX600FMAN; 07-13-2012 at 09:16 AM. Reason: update.
Old 10-23-2012, 03:06 PM
5 Year Member
I eventually just bought a used ABS/TCS unit ( off a Jazz EX ) with the same numbers on it and replaced. After adding new fluid and bleeding, it cleared the fault very quickly after starting the car. I'm very happy.