1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

rust on roof

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2010, 07:14 PM
rust on roof

Hey everybody, got an unpleasant surprise when I washed my '07 fit for the first time. There are little tiny specs of rust on the roof and on top of the wing. I totally missed these when I checked out the car at the dealership.

My question is, has anyone else experienced this, and what did you do to fix the problem?

Thanks,
Gnar

Old 10-13-2010, 07:27 PM
Pictures please.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:32 PM
Originally Posted by Bster13
Pictures please.
I'll take some tomorrow in the daylight.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:53 PM
5 Year Member
rust is like cancer take care of it!

Old 10-13-2010, 08:33 PM
I seen a guy on here who does detailing, wetsanding and using touch up paint. Something to that extent

Old 10-13-2010, 09:20 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
is your car white? it could just be microscopic debris that got embedded in the paint from daily driving, some may rust given enough time. you can remove impurities from your paint using a claybar.

i'd like to see pics too though. i'm curious because the wing isn't even metal, so i don't see how you could have rust forming there unless the specks of rust are indeed from impurities that embedded in the paint.

Old 10-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies.
Originally Posted by doctordoom
is your car white? it could just be microscopic debris that got embedded in the paint from daily driving, some may rust given enough time. you can remove impurities from your paint using a claybar.

i'd like to see pics too though. i'm curious because the wing isn't even metal, so i don't see how you could have rust forming there unless the specks of rust are indeed from impurities that embedded in the paint.
I didn't think about the wing not being metal. My brother thinks it's contaminated paint as well. And yes, it's a white one.

Old 10-14-2010, 12:16 AM
There's a good chance it's rail dust. It results from the car being carried in an open container on a train. The dust is mostly generated when the metal on metal brakes are applied. The dust settles on the top of your car and once it gets wet the tiny pieces of dust turn to rust. The dealers are all familiar with this and have an acid wash they use to wash it off.

Old 10-14-2010, 02:02 AM
Originally Posted by doctordoom

+1 on this.

It's rail dust/industrial fallout/brake dust/etc... metal bits that land on your paint, its heavy enough that it will sink into the paint and when it gets wet it starts rusting.

Wash the car well, then use claybar.
Method; spray with quick detailer, flatten out clay a little, put on paint and without using force just move it back and forth. You will hear the roughness as it removes the contaminates. Once the clay bar gets dirty on the underside, fold/knead it over and keep going. Be liberal with the quick detailer and keep folding/kneading the clay. Lightly move it over the entire car until theres no sound of abrasion and the paint is smooth to the touch. Polish/seal if you know how, if not, at least throw a coat of wax on it.

You can get a claybar kit (mothers or meguiars or ?) at any autoparts or walmart type store, usually under $20 for a kit (clay, quick detailer spray + other stuff) cut the clay bar in half, put half in a ziplock or sandwich baggy, use the other half. Don't drop it, if you drop it on the ground, it goes in the trash. You can use it a few times before needing to toss it.

Old 10-14-2010, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
^^^ do it as he suggested. I had the same problem this Spring. It was fine when I go the car last summer but over winter it developed. Wash, clay bar and wax and like new.

Old 10-14-2010, 03:02 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies everyone, lots of good info. This sounds like it's right on the money...
Originally Posted by SoUnFit
+1 on this.

It's rail dust/industrial fallout/brake dust/etc... metal bits that land on your paint, its heavy enough that it will sink into the paint and when it gets wet it starts rusting.

Wash the car well, then use claybar.
Method; spray with quick detailer, flatten out clay a little, put on paint and without using force just move it back and forth. You will hear the roughness as it removes the contaminates. Once the clay bar gets dirty on the underside, fold/knead it over and keep going. Be liberal with the quick detailer and keep folding/kneading the clay. Lightly move it over the entire car until theres no sound of abrasion and the paint is smooth to the touch. Polish/seal if you know how, if not, at least throw a coat of wax on it.

You can get a claybar kit (mothers or meguiars or ?) at any autoparts or walmart type store, usually under $20 for a kit (clay, quick detailer spray + other stuff) cut the clay bar in half, put half in a ziplock or sandwich baggy, use the other half. Don't drop it, if you drop it on the ground, it goes in the trash. You can use it a few times before needing to toss it.
I'll head to the auto parts store later. Here are some photos, though it's really hard to see.
Roof...
Name:  _IMG_2687fitfreak.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  20.5 KB
Wing...
Name:  _fitfreak.jpg
Views: 72
Size:  18.0 KB
I'll be sure to update after the claybar treatment. Thanks again!

Old 10-14-2010, 03:26 PM