1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Ugh. Electrical Problems with my 2007 Fit. Need advice.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 07:32 PM
5 Year Member
A 51R battery (available at Wal-Mart, Auto Zone, etc.) will fit your Fit. I have one on my '07. Your shocking is static electricity due to cold dry weather, it's normal.

Old 12-12-2010, 09:22 PM
5 Year Member
The 51-4 is 2"- 2.5" longer than the OEM if you look were the space is between the 90 degree blue elbow on the intake w/ the OEM bat.
(2nd pic>) and that space is gone w/ the new battery. And the OEM has a plastic cover around it too which makes it seem bigger than it really is.
w/ the new bat. I reused the bottom cover to keep the bat. off the meatal shelf that supports the weight of the battery.
The tie down strap is also reused to keep everything in place.
Figure an hour from start to stop and write down your radio code, and reset your E.T.C. if you have one.

70.00 @ walmart

Last edited by Perrenoud Fit; 12-12-2010 at 09:26 PM.
Old 12-13-2010, 11:48 AM
Installed a new battery and the car fired right up. I'm very happy I checked this forum before having it towed. Thank you all.

I'm still going to check the horn for improper grounding. I strongly believe the shock I am receiving from the body of the car is NOT static electricity. The car did not shock me at all for 6 months and now suddenly it shocks me every day without fail. The level of shock is also much higher than I've ever experienced with static. It really does shock the shit out of you.

Old 12-13-2010, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by robotfist
Installed a new battery and the car fired right up. I'm very happy I checked this forum before having it towed. Thank you all.

I'm still going to check the horn for improper grounding. I strongly believe the shock I am receiving from the body of the car is NOT static electricity. The car did not shock me at all for 6 months and now suddenly it shocks me every day without fail. The level of shock is also much higher than I've ever experienced with static. It really does shock the shit out of you.
When and how are you getting shocked? Is the car running when this occurs? Is it constant or intermittent?

Old 12-13-2010, 05:14 PM
good news is rock and roll! BTW, I like vanilla cake with chocolate frosting....I kid, I kid.

Cold weather. It's static electricity from your clothes and the seats. Mine does the same thing, primarly in colder weather.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:03 PM
5 Year Member
Exclamation Static Electricity

Ya mine is so bad in the night during winter I can hear the snap and on a good zap see the spark.

Shocking!

You are getting a static charge because you are putting your feet (or foot) on the ground and then touching the car as you get out of your seat. The shock comes when your finger or hand has almost touched metal in the car body and you are grounded. It is the spark that jumps from the metal to your hand that causes you to feel the shock, otherwise the amount of electricity is so small you wouldn't feel it. The trick is to firmly grasp a metal part of the car (the outside surface of the door for instance) before you put your feet on the ground and get out of the car. The electricity will travel over your body without causing a spark, and you won't feel it.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:02 PM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
unless you're going to run a grounding strap or something that physically connects your car's body to the road surface, your car will not be grounded, and you have the potential of being shocked when you step out of the car and "connect" the car body to the ground.

i agree that the fit is gives some brutal shocks, it comes and goes with the seasons for me too. i haven't been shocked in months, but during certain periods i was getting shocked every single day.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:40 PM
5 Year Member
I have Wet Okole seat covers, never get shocked.

Old 12-13-2010, 08:48 PM
UNBANABLE
5 Year Member
i have recaros and i never ever get shocked. i used to get shocked daily with the stock seats. once i was at the gas station, got shocked and yelled out FUCKKKK!! then i looked over and there was a minivan full of little kids staring at me.

Old 02-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Happens to me all the time, getting out of the car and closing the car door, even just touching the glass and Zap! of course when i pet the cat i wind up zapping her too, so mabye its me thats the problem...

Old 02-21-2011, 02:02 AM
5 Year Member
Cold dry weather and layered clothing is the cause of static electricity... I can remember sparks between my fingers and the door handle of my truck when delivering newspapers in freezing weather when the air was very dry.... Never happens when it is hot and humid unless you have a really good A/C.