1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Coil Pack Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2016, 02:17 PM
5 Year Member
yeah, I already got the Hitachi coil packs in mail yesterday. I'll try to get on it this weekend. I figured $300 for the plugs, coils, spark plug wrench and whatever extra little things (beeeeer), is not that much compared to giving it to a shop and get charged $2k for the thing.

Meanwhile I got a motorcycle, so no stress about not having a vehicle to get around with.

Thx for response guys!

Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Gregg
Service manuals are available on line, for free.
Download the service manual for the model year in question, and check out the coil packs for yourself.
Gregg
I've looked for this free service manual download, do you have a link for our 2007 and 2008 Fit?

Thank you Gregg!

Old 05-19-2016, 11:08 AM
Honda Jazz or Fit has known issues when it comes to ignition coils.. they need to be replaced once they start to show weakness. Jerky idle, weak acceleration, spitting engine, these are early signs of ignition coils issues. IDSI 1.3L engines has 8 spark plugs = 8 ignition coils while VTEC 1.5L engines has 4 spark plugs = 4 ignition coils.

Before replacing ignition coils, clean the IACV first, when corroded it gets stuck - this causes jerky idle, jerks when about to stop or about to move.

Old 05-19-2016, 01:26 PM
5 Year Member
1. Old worn out Plugs kill coil packs, when plugs don't fire correctly it overheats the coil pack.
2. Badly adjusted valves kill them too. for same reason.

CHeers

Old 05-26-2016, 04:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by nashimoto
Honda Jazz or Fit has known issues when it comes to ignition coils.. they need to be replaced once they start to show weakness. Jerky idle, weak acceleration, spitting engine, these are early signs of ignition coils issues. IDSI 1.3L engines has 8 spark plugs = 8 ignition coils while VTEC 1.5L engines has 4 spark plugs = 4 ignition coils.

Before replacing ignition coils, clean the IACV first, when corroded it gets stuck - this causes jerky idle, jerks when about to stop or about to move.
good info

Old 05-26-2016, 05:00 PM
5 Year Member
can anybody post a link on a 2011 honda fit DIY coil pack replacement

Old 05-30-2016, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
IACV . . . so, um, what would that be in American English, please?

Old 05-31-2016, 07:52 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Mister Coffee
IACV . . . so, um, what would that be in American English, please?
Idle Air Control Valve

Old 05-31-2016, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
American market 07-08 Fit DOES NOT have IACV
idle speed is controlled by throttle plate opening (2.4 degrees angle is typical value with engine hot lights and a/c off)

Old 05-31-2016, 03:03 PM
5 Year Member
A lot of drive-by-wire systems have gone to letting the servo for the throttle control idle..

Old 09-14-2021, 11:28 AM
Went to honda and an oem ignition coil pack goes for $130!
wtf
Are the hitatchi replacements just as good flr $46 each??

Sorry for digging up an old thread, saves starting a new one.

Old 09-14-2021, 12:55 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, they slid right in, no problem.

Old 09-15-2021, 01:30 AM
Just snagged a few from my local wreaking yard!

Old 09-17-2021, 12:14 PM
Don't waste your time with the cheap coil packs. Get Hitachi. They are OEM.
$32.79 @ RockAuto. Shipping to NorCal was $9.99.

Old 09-18-2021, 12:49 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by sayama0411
Don't waste your time with the cheap coil packs. Get Hitachi. They are OEM.
$32.79 @ RockAuto. Shipping to NorCal was $9.99.

Good advice.

When replacing anything, try to replace with better, not worse. Saving money isn't all it's cracked up to be. Seriously.

Old 09-19-2021, 12:41 PM
Need ideas

07 Fit sport 189k miles. Been through about 4 coil and plug replacements through the years. $20 for 4 chinese coils lasted about 1 to 2 years . New problem started last year. Low idle and stuttering at cold start, dying at start off and shuddering. Fine once warmed up. Coils and plugs were only 8 months old and not throwing any codes or usual symptoms (gone into limp home mode a few times). Had Honda do the valve adjustment, problem persists, Honda has no suggestions. Decided to pony up for the Denso coils and iridium plugs, no changes. Problem persists. I've cleaned the throttle body and run injector cleaner regularly. Next step?

Old 09-20-2021, 03:52 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChunkE
07 Fit sport 189k miles. Been through about 4 coil and plug replacements through the years. $20 for 4 chinese coils lasted about 1 to 2 years . New problem started last year. Low idle and stuttering at cold start, dying at start off and shuddering. Fine once warmed up. Coils and plugs were only 8 months old and not throwing any codes or usual symptoms (gone into limp home mode a few times). Had Honda do the valve adjustment, problem persists, Honda has no suggestions. Decided to pony up for the Denso coils and iridium plugs, no changes. Problem persists. I've cleaned the throttle body and run injector cleaner regularly. Next step?
Weird that it's gone into limp-home mode without throwing any codes. Have you checked for "pending" codes in that circumstance?

Do the readings from the IAT and ECT look reasonable when the engine is cold and while it's warming up?

When was the last time the EGR was cleaned? A sticky EGR can sometimes give these sorts of issues.

Old 09-20-2021, 06:43 PM
Originally Posted by hill8570
Weird that it's gone into limp-home mode without throwing any codes. Have you checked for "pending" codes in that circumstance?

Do the readings from the IAT and ECT look reasonable when the engine is cold and while it's warming up?

When was the last time the EGR was cleaned? A sticky EGR can sometimes give these sorts of issues.
Sorry I'm not the best story teller, should have paid more attention in class.....the limp home incidents were in the past, I think i had some deleted text in there.. current problem is the stalling at cold start. Just had Honda do the valves and installed Denso coils and plugs. Still stalling at cold start. Fine once warmed up. No codes....

Old 09-20-2021, 08:54 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by ChunkE
Sorry I'm not the best story teller, should have paid more attention in class.....the limp home incidents were in the past, I think i had some deleted text in there.. current problem is the stalling at cold start. Just had Honda do the valves and installed Denso coils and plugs. Still stalling at cold start. Fine once warmed up. No codes....
OK. The last two sentences still apply. If the IAT or the ECT are giving readings like things are "warm" when they are "cold" (the ECT is more critical in this regard), the engine will be running too lean when it's cold and you'll get all kinds of stalling issues until the engine is warm. Same sort of thing with the EGR -- the EGR isn't supposed to allow recirc back until things are warmed up...when it does, you get the same "too lean" issue with all kinds of stalling. While usually an EGR issue causes idle stalling warmed up or not, I could think of cases where it could unstick once warm enough.

Old 09-25-2021, 07:29 AM
Not the EGR either...

Cleaned the EGR valve as I was replacing the AC coil, apparently that's not the problem either. Still low idle about 800 on cold start and dying multiple times if not warmed up. Am getting much better gas mileage since going to the Denso coils and plugs which is nice. Haven't had a chance to run my OBII reader....

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Replacements