1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Coil Pack Replacements

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2011, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Coil Pack Replacements

I've got the same stuttering issues that a lot other folks on the forum have had. at 78k I've resigned myself to the replacement of all four coil packs. Some questions:
  • Other manufacturer-specific forums have seemed to have manufacturer reps who have 'lurked' to try to head off issues and generally be helpful on issues like this one. So, Honda guy, if you're out there, what do y'all have to say about this?
  • I called the parts counter at Bernardini to ask if Honda has done a redesign on the coil packs to un-get this issue. He said that there was no new part number, but that he'd check on it and get back to me. No call so far. I don't want to buy OE if they're just going to fail again.
  • I've looked at Rock Auto and they've got three different coil pack replacements, Beck/Arnley (currently out of stock), Airtex/Wells and Standard Motor/Intermotor. Is one of these OE? One better than the other? The price differential is significant.
  • Anybody out of warranty who has been able to get some goodwill relief on this issue?
  • Anybody communicated to NHTSB to ask for an inquiry/TSB on this issue?

Old 06-17-2011, 08:05 PM
NHTSB isn't interested unless it poses a safety hazard.

You may be able to narrow it down to one or two packs by misting (spray bottle) one pack at a time on an idling engine.

Old 08-29-2011, 07:56 PM
My Girlfriend is having this problem so I've joined to find out what she needs, the mechanic told her they need to replace 8(is that right?) coils, reading this board it sounds like there are only 4 coil packs, are they set in two? and is it the ignition coils? I want to buy them because the mechanic quoted her an INSANE price for the job, please a lil help!!!

Old 08-29-2011, 08:18 PM
5 Year Member
One coil pack per cylinder.
Find another shop/mechanic!
Gregg

Old 08-29-2011, 08:26 PM
SO this is the only coil that is causing the trouble right? one per cylinder, thanks so much! We aren't in the same country right now so I can't even look at the car, I had a feeling they were trying to gouge. I appreciate the help a lot this forum is AWESOME!

Old 08-30-2011, 12:40 AM
5 Year Member
Coil Packs

I don't know about shipping into Canada. I assume that NAFTA has removed customs duties on shipments. The cheapest price I have seen is at Rock Auto. The Beck Arnley Coil packs are about $52. There are those on this forum who have recommended using Honda parts for this. I'm about to put the BA ones on and see how that goes.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:14 PM
Ok she is telling me the model is a 2006 japanese import, and the mechanic says her model takes 8 coil packs four in the front and a different 4 in the rear, this doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not completely versed in this stuff as of yet. its a right hand side drive car and not built in north america, anyone have any insight to this?

Old 08-30-2011, 07:04 PM
5 Year Member
There are no Fit's manufactured in North America.
As far as I know, they are all built in Japan.
Service manuals are available on line, for free.
Download the service manual for the model year in question, and check out the coil packs for yourself.
Unless you have a Fit that has a two spark plugs per cylinder, the engine only has four spark plugs, and thus four coil packs.
Pop the hood and take a look for yourself.
Gregg

Old 08-30-2011, 08:12 PM
Originally Posted by Gregg
There are no Fit's manufactured in North America.
As far as I know, they are all built in Japan.
Service manuals are available on line, for free.
Download the service manual for the model year in question, and check out the coil packs for yourself.
Unless you have a Fit that has a two spark plugs per cylinder, the engine only has four spark plugs, and thus four coil packs.
Pop the hood and take a look for yourself.
Gregg
Thanks, I didn't know that about the fits, the problem is I'm not in the same country as her right now so I can't pop the hood and take a look, I'm just going with what she tells me. I'm going to get the VIN from her and see what I can learn.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:12 PM
don't replace your coils. just go buy some denso iridium, bosch iridium, or E3 spark plus. all 3 of those are pre-gapped. they stop any problems you have. also spray the coils with electronics cleaner. and wipe the outside parts of them with a microfiber cloth. easiest and cheapest way.

Old 09-04-2011, 04:15 PM
i have 96500 miles on my 2008 honda jazz and i have done these small things to improve the life of my car. mobil 1 0w-20 fully synthetic oil and k&n filter every 7500 miles. transmission fluid every 45000 miles. flushed my coolant every 45000 miles. brake pads only 1 time so far. but the small things that if you are mechanically inclinded even a bit can save you lots of money.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by FastSpoolingEDMJazz
don't replace your coils. just go buy some denso iridium, bosch iridium, or E3 spark plus. all 3 of those are pre-gapped. they stop any problems you have. also spray the coils with electronics cleaner. and wipe the outside parts of them with a microfiber cloth. easiest and cheapest way.
I did this, and it didn't work.

Unfortunately therefore, some at least may have to replace the COP's.

The good news is it's easily done by almost anybody following directions on this site. ~half hour repair a shop would probably charge you an extra $200 to do for you.

P.S. But this does not mean you should not replace the plugs and tune the valves when required.

Old 09-10-2012, 03:31 PM
First off, I know nothing about what goes on in the hood. But I have the sputtering problems for a while now, I am over 100k. I have read all you have said and mahout told me where to find my coil pak. looked at them over the weekend but nothing seems to be rusting. what exactly am I to look for to see if it is bad. My dealership told me to change all four but in Jamaica the genuine ones cost close to $50,000.00 no labour yet. Help. What do I check for? rust, crack what? when I spray the mist what should happen?

Old 09-20-2012, 08:25 PM
5 Year Member
Its unlikely you'll be able see any issue with the coil packs unless its really awful. Its whats happening inside that matters. Unless the cars computer is throwing a code that tells you which cyl is misfiring, you'll need to either: Buy 1 coil pack and use it to replace each one in turn until the problem goes away. OR if you have money, replace all four at once. With your mileage I'd suggest replacing the spark plugs too.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:23 AM
5 Year Member
Replaced Coil Packs

I had my son replace the coil packs about a year ago, and about 20k miles ago with the Beck Arnley coil packs. Stopped the problem immediately. No recurrence so far.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:39 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Kumkani
Ok she is telling me the model is a 2006 japanese import, and the mechanic says her model takes 8 coil packs four in the front and a different 4 in the rear, this doesn't make sense to me, but I'm not completely versed in this stuff as of yet. its a right hand side drive car and not built in north america, anyone have any insight to this?
The jdm versions of the fit have 8 spark plugs for their engine compared to our 4 plugs. I'm assuming your gf car is a 1.3 liter engine as well?

Old 05-30-2013, 02:24 AM
Banned
That is not a L-15 Vtec engine with 8 plugs. It's an ISDI engine which does have 8 plugs and coilpacks.

Old 04-10-2016, 10:37 PM
5 Year Member
100k miles, what to do?

hi everyone.

I'm approaching 100k miles on my 8-y-old fit. I have observed for a while that at idle the engine is slightly jerky. I also can 'hear' the valves, so I'm finally gearing up for taking care of that. I am in the middle of moving, so I'm slowly getting my stuff together, but I'm also making sure I have everything I need to do the job once I start. I've no garage, so I'll be working in an underground parking lot. Gotta do it in one shot. If McGyver was level 10, and my dog was level 1 in mechanics, I'm probably 7 or 8. I can do a number of things, but I don't have a huge amount of experience with small engines (worked on large diesels though).

I have feeler gauges, a set of wrenches, and I ordered Denso spark plugs (0.4mm Iridium). I also have a new air fliter for the cabin and engine, and a wrench for spark plugs. What else do I need to take care of my little v-tec? Should I get the coils? or it's fine to try replacing just spark plugs and keep the coils?

I've recently done engine oil and filter change, and finally (at 96k miles) replaced the transmission fluid (I have a manual transmission). Other than the low rpm jerkiness and valve sound (wouldn't call it noise) the car is going great. With my driving style I'm going through a 4th set of tires ;-) and the only thing I consider replacing now is the suspension. But I don't have any specialized tools, so I'm not sure how that's gonna work...

Any help will be appreciated

Old 04-20-2016, 12:15 PM
5 Year Member
I've done valve clearance inspection and adjustment in open lot on Easter Sunday (apartment office closed, usual "watch dogs went" to the church, etc). It took about 1.5 hours and I did it very slowly. Get 10 mm box end 45 degree offset wrench for best results.

Old 04-20-2016, 01:38 PM
5 Year Member
I replaced my plugs around 100K and cleaned the coils instead of replacing them. Valve adjust around 130K, made a huge difference with my 5MT. Felt like I had an extra gear and all that hesitation was gone. Wish I would have done the valve adjust much sooner.

I was trying to see how far I could stretch the original coilpacks. At 147K, car totaled by someone running a red light, so never got the chance to see how long they'd last.

If you do wind up replacing the coilpacks now, get the OEM Hitachis with part number ending 0053. Around $200 a set with shipping from rockauto.com. Stay away from all the aftermarkets even though many are cheaper, as they don't last very long according to many members here - search this forum for details.

Quick Reply: Coil Pack Replacements