1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

serpetine belt-slipping

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 11:59 AM
serpetine belt-slipping

Recently noticed squeal, (about 100K) decided to change belt as adjustment screw seem to have bottomed out. So I got the belt, and a new idler pulley, as that seem to getting a bit noisy also. Followed DIY here to remove. Now comes the part--either hands are to big, or I'm just not coordinated enough to get the pulley and its assortment of funky washers back. The hole on engine block is to cramped to get bolt started!
any tricks of the trade much appreciated. thanks

Last edited by blue line; 07-19-2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old 07-21-2011, 01:12 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blue line
Recently noticed squeal, (about 100K) decided to change belt as adjustment screw seem to have bottomed out. So I got the belt, and a new idler pulley, as that seem to getting a bit noisy also. Followed DIY here to remove. Now comes the part--either hands are to big, or I'm just not coordinated enough to get the pulley and its assortment of funky washers back. The hole on engine block is to cramped to get bolt started!
any tricks of the trade much appreciated. thanks
Not sure of your problem but we have used a magnetic thin-walled bolt socket to engage bolts in difficult to reach places. Sometimes merely applying a good magnet to a steel closed end wrench will assist the bolt staying in place.We've tried taping the back of the closed-end wrench, too and that can work.
We do have a sideways actuated wrench here that really clasps the bolt too but you're not likely to have one of those.
good luck.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Thank you. I actually did a dumb thing, but it worked. Using an open-end 12mm wrench, I stuck a wad of good old fashion Bozoka Bubble gum, which stuck to that bolt like "super-glue" does to your fingers. I suspect the gum trick may have been used before, so I have no vision of filling a patent for a 12mm open end craftsmen wil a bubble gum insert.

Old 07-21-2011, 02:47 PM
dumb is as dumb does if it works it isn't dumb but creative - good job blue +reps to you

Old 07-21-2011, 02:56 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by blue line
Thank you. I actually did a dumb thing, but it worked. Using an open-end 12mm wrench, I stuck a wad of good old fashion Bozoka Bubble gum, which stuck to that bolt like "super-glue" does to your fingers. I suspect the gum trick may have been used before, so I have no vision of filling a patent for a 12mm open end craftsmen wil a bubble gum insert.

You're right it has been used before. Even our mechs have tried too but wasn't very successful because oily wrenches don't stick well with gum we had. Yours must be really good stuff but I'm not sure I'd want to chew it; my teeth are old but not not false and I don't want them to be either.
Good show. glad it worked. Ain't creativity wonderful.