1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Deciding between 08/12 fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Deciding between 08/12 fit

Hey,

I'm thinking about getting out of my current car and into something cheaper to maintain and better on gas.

Bit of a stupid question, what do you think of this thing:

2008 Honda Fit Sport Hatchback

I'm heading out to see it tonight, but it looks to me like what's been done to it is quality stuff, Spoon exhaust, T1R intake..

It looks like for the price there's been a decent amount of stuff already done to it.

I've wanted a fit for a few years and now I'm trying to decide which direction to go. A brand new 2012 fit is a pretty tempting idea and the sport model would only end up costing me around 300 a month. Not to mention a full warranty, bluetooth, and less road noise...

But, a 2008 with a decent amount of km can be had for much less.

I know you can't decide for me, but what do you think about the price on the '08? reasonable?

Old 01-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator
Yea seems like a decent price for a 08 Fit. Looks like it has a T1R intake, Cusco Strut bar, T1R shift boot, after market radio, Spoon or Spoon style muffler and spoile, JDM or Depo LED tail lights, lowered, rims and tint.

The price is good but there is also a good chance the car has been driven hard with all those after market parts

Old 01-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by MNfit
Yea seems like a decent price for a 08 Fit. Looks like it has a T1R intake, Cusco Strut bar, T1R shift boot, after market radio, Spoon or Spoon style muffler and spoile, JDM or Depo LED tail lights, lowered, rims and tint.

The price is good but there is also a good chance the car has been driven hard with all those after market parts
That's kind of what I'm worried about. Like I said I'm hoping to get a look at it tonight. How sturdy are the clutches in these cars? It would come with a bit of a warranty, but I don't want to opt for the cheap car just so I can pay for all kinds of repairs.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:31 PM
5 Year Member
That's a great looking car. I would guess that someone on here knows the car. Looks like the roof has been vinyl wrapped and the description makes it sound like it has coilovers. All together, it has quite a few expensive parts. I'd make sure to carfax or autocheck the VIN to make sure those mods weren't paid for with insurance money.

The clutches aren't very strong, but also aren't too hard or expensive to replace. I would be curious to see how cheap you can buy it. A 2012 Sport is a nicer, but less fun car in my opinion.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:34 PM
5 Year Member
Some of those mods might have come from A&J Racing. Wonder if they know the car? A&J Racing

Old 01-13-2012, 02:45 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
That's a great looking car. I would guess that someone on here knows the car. Looks like the roof has been vinyl wrapped and the description makes it sound like it has coilovers. All together, it has quite a few expensive parts. I'd make sure to carfax or autocheck the VIN to make sure those mods weren't paid for with insurance money.

The clutches aren't very strong, but also aren't too hard or expensive to replace. I would be curious to see how cheap you can buy it. A 2012 Sport is a nicer, but less fun car in my opinion.
How much are we talking for a shop to do a clutch?

Old 01-13-2012, 02:57 PM
5 Year Member
I would guess that it's in the $500-700 ballpark, but I'm not sure. I think the parts are only around $200 so the rest is labor and would be much cheaper at an independent shop vs a dealer.

Old 01-13-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator
I was going to see if I could find the car on here, maybe see if the previous owner was on here... but then I got lazy, lol

Old 01-13-2012, 03:21 PM
Mods = probably beat on. I wouldn't buy it. Keep shopping for an unmolested GD if you really want an older (and cheaper) Fit.

What are you planning on using the car for?

Old 01-13-2012, 03:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Mods = probably beat on. I wouldn't buy it. Keep shopping for an unmolested GD if you really want an older (and cheaper) Fit.

What are you planning on using the car for?
Mods can also be a sign of care and high level maintenance. I wouldn't be too quick to judge. Usually the car will give enough visual clues to tell you one way or the other.

The average car owner that doesn't touch a thing these days often doesn't touch ANYTHING. Like doesn't bother with maintenance.

Old 01-13-2012, 05:08 PM
Originally Posted by GAFIT
Mods can also be a sign of care and high level maintenance. I wouldn't be too quick to judge. Usually the car will give enough visual clues to tell you one way or the other.

The average car owner that doesn't touch a thing these days often doesn't touch ANYTHING. Like doesn't bother with maintenance.
Bit of an update, went and looked at the car. It's VERY clean. I didn't notice anything at all except there was a little ding in the heater knob. It looks like it's really been taken care of, and had undercoating and rustproofing stuff.

The car has fully adjustable coil overs, I couldn't get a good enough look to see what make, mostly because it's dropped so much.

The drive was pretty good, I'm used to a much more powerful car so it felt slow as hell, but was overall not too bad. The Spoon exhaust is a bit loud and drones a bit at highway speeds, but the car does come with all of the stock parts so if it really bugged me I could swap it out. Same with the shocks.

The gearbox and clutch felt good, but I'm coming out of an autobox so I'll admit I don't really have the feel. Shifts were precise and all that good stuff.

It's a contender anyway. The price we worked out was not bad. I stuck with their advertised price of $11888 and mostly just worked on upping my trade in value. They were willing to give me $5000, and sell the car for $11888 certified. We left without making any decisions, I think they would have been even more flexible on price if I pressed for it.

If it is a beat on car, they did a good job of hiding it.