1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Ignition Switch Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 AM
Ignition Switch Replacement?

Hi All,

The wife's '07 standard Fit has 190k, and is showing some signs of wear. Current issue is the ignition switch, or actually I believe the lock cylinders, as both the drivers door and the ignition won't respond to either key (one used infrequently).

My problem: key barely slides into ignition, won't turn at all. Did this initially before steering wheel was locked, I of course turned wheel and locked it, and same result. Wanked wheel left, wanked wheel right, key won't budge. Don't suspect the locking steering wheel column anyway, as the key is so difficult to get into the switch to begin with. Don't suspect the key, as the one should show much less wear. Gotta be the switch, methinks. And I believe there are two parts - the physical lock cylinder and the electronic ignition switch. My guess is the lock tumblers are worn out and need repair/replacement.

Anyone have any experience with this? How hard is it to even get to? Am I going to blow the airbag and set off antitheft immobilizers if I screw around with it? Or am I at the mercy of Honda and have to come up with the megabucks to have them do it? How about one of those locksmith guys - they want fifty bucks to drive over and take a look at it.

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Old 11-13-2012, 06:16 PM
same issue,

Originally Posted by Fweemn
Hi All,
o ahead and remove the wheel air bag.

The wife's '07 standard Fit has 190k, and is showing some signs of wear. Current issue is the ignition switch, or actually I believe the lock cylinders, as both the drivers door and the ignition won't respond to either key (one used infrequently).

My problem: key barely slides into ignition, won't turn at all. Did this initially before steering wheel was locked, I of course turned wheel and locked it, and same result. Wanked wheel left, wanked wheel right, key won't budge. Don't suspect the locking steering wheel column anyway, as the key is so difficult to get into the switch to begin with. Don't suspect the key, as the one should show much less wear. Gotta be the switch, methinks. And I believe there are two parts - the physical lock cylinder and the electronic ignition switch. My guess is the lock tumblers are worn out and need repair/replacement.

Anyone have any experience with this? How hard is it to even get to? Am I going to blow the airbag and set off antitheft immobilizers if I screw around with it? Or am I at the mercy of Honda and have to come up with the megabucks to have them do it? How about one of those locksmith guys - they want fifty bucks to drive over and take a look at it.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
My switch wont turn as well no matter how it slam the wheel and giggle the key. I accessed the swith NO problem. 3 screws under the column all Philip head screws. Now the issue is removing the unit rear most assembly as it locks the steering wheel and may hold the key. this part is replaceable and far far cheaper a part as well. I would absolutely disconnect the battery for at least half a day to de- energize the air bag. and maybe go ahead and remove the wheel air bag.

Old 05-17-2023, 10:43 PM
I have had the same problem recently with my 2009 Honda Fit. Both the drivers side door and ignition cylinder. Im curious as to why I would be having a problem with both? I've ruled out the key being the problem. I am able to start the car if I really forcefully jam the key in. I think I will attempt to have it retumbled at the dealership if they can. But that still doesn't explain the correlation between the two problems. Any hints specifically to this?

QUOTE=Fweemn;1094878]Hi All,

Thanks for any advice in advance.[/QUOTE]