1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Great mods for about $300

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2012, 01:16 PM
5 Year Member
Buy what you want its ur money F***K EVeryone 2 cents and do what makes u happy and call it a day

Old 10-11-2012, 01:45 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Cold air intake is a waste of money, unless you like noise.

Headers are a waste of money, they are not pulse tuned (if GD) and on a GE it's just a pipe as the headers are integrated in the cylinder head casting.

$300 dollar yonaka seats might get you killed and would probably fail an inspection.

A big ass wing on an otherwise stock as a rock FWD?

Really?

We still do that?

Why would you want:
A.) Greater Coefficient of drag and added weight at the top of the highest point on the chassis which hurts every performance aspect of the car

B.) Increased down-force at speed on the non-powered axle

C.) To look like a complete tool to everyone except the "JDM Bros?"

Never said I wanted a wing. I do like the noise of a CAI, it sounds better than stock and did add a TINY amount of pull in my car. My header I got because it was the first part of a full exhaust modification that I'm going to do once I have more money.

Personally, I want to work on the inside of my car before I get to the outside.

Is there any sort of tuning I can do for about $300? Any thing like newer injectors, fuel pumps, etc.? Good old fashioned stuff.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
$289 for trash.
$80 for trash.
$300 for trash that puts you in danger.

Next argument?

Let me rephrase, $300 can't get you anything that actually improves your car.

All the stuff I've bought for less than $300 was all considerably under market value and thus not normally available for $300.

OR

It was total trash that I regret buying.
Ok, then what were those parts under market value that I can look out for?

The Fit is a new car, and I've only worked on Miatas prior to my Fit, and Miatas have a MUCH bigger aftermarket....market haha So I just need a few suggestions

Old 10-11-2012, 01:53 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITdrummer13
Cordizzle4life,

Mike410b is offering a critical and I guess diehard-authentic-only response to your post. So if you want to represent at car shows or meets, you should take that advice. Which is cool if you're into authentic stuff and you want to earn respect for your ride, but if you're like me, and don't have all the money to match your desire for 100% OEM JDM or authentic parts, and aren't too diehard about authentics, a good knock-off isn't shameful.

Go with what you want. I think that exterior mods are really fun to add, since every time you walk back to your car after a long day you'll smile because you'll feel good that your car looks kick-a$$.

So I'm with fit[vivian] on this one. Some window visors, ( JDM oem or Mugen ) or maybe DEPO Jdm style tails if you don't mind them being not authentic JDM. Some other ideas are projector headlight upgrade, save the money for some good rims, ugraded radio/sound system, clazzio seat covers, or maybe lowering springs. Lots of stuff.

Personally I have a blend of authentic/knock-off parts. I don't care though because my wallet still loves me and I love the way my car looks and drives.

Good luck!
I like the idea of sprucing up the outside of my car. However, I really want to work on the driving capabilities of my car before I go to the outside. I know that on my budget it's quite difficult, but I did get two decent upgrades for under $300, so I'm just seeing what else is out there.

Old 10-11-2012, 02:00 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by fujisawa
If "coming into some money" means only $300 for you, you might want to consider if maybe a car isn't the best place to deploy it. Maybe into your savings account would be better.

Look, I don't want to be an ass. Or tell you not to enjoy yourself. Modifying a car is fun and you learn something. You didn't ask for financial advice. Feel free to ignore; it's not a personal commentary. But it IS what I think given the limited info you give

No, $300 is not coming into some money for me. Basically, I'm saving to get to Germany. I have near $3,000 saved so far, but I need about $5,000. So, I'm pinching my pennies.

However, my plan for saving didn't factor in me having my security deposit from my last apartment returned to me. Thus, I now about about $300 that I can spend.

I don't need a T.V., just bought one, Don't need an Xbox, I have one, don't need anything else because everything else is taken care of. So, as a "last resort" for spending the money (which I haven't done in a while and really want to) is to use it on my Fit

Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM
5 Year Member
Also, Why will Yonaka seats kill me? I've haven't heard anything about..well really any type of seat. What are you guys running?

Old 10-11-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
Never said I wanted a wing. I do like the noise of a CAI, it sounds better than stock and did add a TINY amount of pull in my car. My header I got because it was the first part of a full exhaust modification that I'm going to do once I have more money.

Personally, I want to work on the inside of my car before I get to the outside.

Is there any sort of tuning I can do for about $300? Any thing like newer injectors, fuel pumps, etc.? Good old fashioned stuff.
Colder spark plugs, a second-hand piggyback, and patch harness if you can find them all for $300. Problem is you still need a wide-band oxygen sensor and gauge controller to know for sure how much fuel you are pulling. Those don't lose their value, and often require buying a new sensor. So really, no there is nothing you can do with $300

Install plugs, run better fuel, check your baseline against the wideband then start to lean out in closed loop operation where possible until you no longer register gains, than back off a bit for safety margin.

Adding a bigger pump (assuming it doesn't over run your regulator and completely FUBAR your tune) won't hurt or help performance. You are going to be moving more air to need more fuel.

Bigger injectors, are just like the pump, except they will add latency and driveability will suffer. Again, because you are not moving more air, you are not seeing any benefits to offset any downsides to more injector.

Any gains you feel you have gotten besides noise are placebo, unless you are breathing very slightly better for a small portion at the top of the rev range before the stock cam starts to take VE for a nose dive. Even then, you have still decreased area under the curve by shifting VE to the right.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 10-11-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 02:40 PM
5 Year Member
Oh I have a suggestion! You could upgrade your tires. Or get lighter wheels, although probably need to be used. Either will improve the feel of your car, neither would make it faster in a straight line of course.

Another suggestion is spending the money on detailing. Car wash, wax, interior care products, maybe one or two accents like a new shift knob. Very satisfying improvements, very cheap

Old 10-11-2012, 03:29 PM
You know what I would do with $300?

Buy a SA2005 helmet for $120 and use the rest for a HPDE entrance fee or two autocross entrance fees.

You said you like to work from the inside out right? How about start from INSIDE YOURSELF and work your way out to the car?

Old 10-11-2012, 03:35 PM
5 Year Member
Man with that left over $180, that's like 5 autox entrance fees.

:mindblownmore:

Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM
Super Moderator
The JDM center console or a dead pedal would be two upgrades that could really improve how much you enjoy the inside of your Fit.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM
5 Year Member
Man with that left over $180, that's like 5 autox entrance fees.

:mindblownmore:
2nded!!! Good auto crossers make better road race drivers A year long membership with the SCCA runs right around $90 and then you'd have to find and contact your local region.... try here The Sports Car Club of America - About

Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
$300 could also get a pair of seats from Yonaka.
Also, I had to reread this... for a PAIR?

NO WAY i'm trusting my life to a seat that costs just a little more than a nice shift knob. You could almost get a single decent seat for a little over $300, but you have to get rails and slider too which would put you over budget. Sparco Sprint or Corbeau or something like that. I'm not a big fan of fixed back seats w/o roll bars and anything running $300 is going to be a fixed back probably.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:46 PM
5 Year Member
The shift knob I want is more than $300 hahahaha

Old 10-11-2012, 05:18 PM
The shift knob I want is more than $300 hahahaha
Wat?

The only knobs I know of that come close to that price are Feels and BYS...

So now I wanna know.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:21 PM
5 Year Member
Name:  IMG_2558.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  43.7 KB

Last edited by mike410b; 10-11-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:25 PM
Tommy Kaira Hebi Bebi
Oh yeah that's the other one but I didn't think they made in 10x1.5, only 10x1.25 and 12x1.25?

It is a really pretty shift knob.

Old 10-11-2012, 05:30 PM
5 Year Member
Ugh MIke Pretty shift nob

Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Oh yeah that's the other one but I didn't think they made in 10x1.5, only 10x1.25 and 12x1.25?

It is a really pretty shift knob.
I'll get an adapter made when the time comes. Need to address more pressing wants first.

Old 10-11-2012, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator
im all for cool parts and shit, but $300+ for a shift knob, why?

Quick Reply: Great mods for about $300