1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Great mods for about $300

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:43 PM
5 Year Member
Great mods for about $300

Hey guys! So, I'm soon to come into a bit of money and need some ideas to spend it on

Mods I have already: Megan Racing Exhaust Header, and Sid's CAI.

See, the list is SUPER long already, but it needs work :P

So, what do you guys think is a good mod for about $300, minus the ones I have. I was thinking some better brakes or maybe some "style" items.

Just give me some ideas, or post some links to cools items, that would be wonderful!

Thanks guys!

-Corey

Old 10-10-2012, 09:46 PM
5 Year Member
Put that $300 towards your car payment

if your car is paid off, put that $300 towards your next insurance payment.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Put in a rear sway bar.

Put up a picture of your car! You can look at my little build thread in my sig. It has lots of Style and Few performance parts....I have a sway bar and a PRM CAI.

Last edited by Dwalbert320; 10-10-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:59 PM
5 Year Member
For $300 I would:

-Remove the lame line from your sig, no one is.
-Figure out your goal for the car and do something that fits that.

$300 buys next to nothing in the car world.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
For $300 I would:

-Remove the lame line from your sig, no one is.
-Figure out your goal for the car and do something that fits that.

$300 buys next to nothing in the car world.
$289 bought my Header and $80 bought my CAI. $300 could also get a pair of seats from Yonaka.

Next argument?

Old 10-10-2012, 10:27 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by solbrothers
Put that $300 towards your car payment

if your car is paid off, put that $300 towards your next insurance payment.

Parents take care of those for the time being (still in Graduate school) any other suggestions? hahaha.

Just, something that you guys have bought that you liked for under $300, that's all I'm asking haha

Old 10-10-2012, 10:47 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
$289 bought my Header and $80 bought my CAI. $300 could also get a pair of seats from Yonaka.

Next argument?
$289 for trash.
$80 for trash.
$300 for trash that puts you in danger.

Next argument?

Let me rephrase, $300 can't get you anything that actually improves your car.

All the stuff I've bought for less than $300 was all considerably under market value and thus not normally available for $300.

OR

It was total trash that I regret buying.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:24 PM
get some real mugen visors. i think kingmotorsports has a sale on them atm.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:27 PM
also, you might be able to find a spoon wing for 300-400ish.

Old 10-10-2012, 11:44 PM
Smile

Cordizzle4life,

Mike410b is offering a critical and I guess diehard-authentic-only response to your post. So if you want to represent at car shows or meets, you should take that advice. Which is cool if you're into authentic stuff and you want to earn respect for your ride, but if you're like me, and don't have all the money to match your desire for 100% OEM JDM or authentic parts, and aren't too diehard about authentics, a good knock-off isn't shameful.

Go with what you want. I think that exterior mods are really fun to add, since every time you walk back to your car after a long day you'll smile because you'll feel good that your car looks kick-a$$.

So I'm with fit[vivian] on this one. Some window visors, ( JDM oem or Mugen ) or maybe DEPO Jdm style tails if you don't mind them being not authentic JDM. Some other ideas are projector headlight upgrade, save the money for some good rims, ugraded radio/sound system, clazzio seat covers, or maybe lowering springs. Lots of stuff.

Personally I have a blend of authentic/knock-off parts. I don't care though because my wallet still loves me and I love the way my car looks and drives.

Good luck!

Old 10-10-2012, 11:48 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITdrummer13
Cordizzle4life,

Mike410b is offering a critical and I guess diehard-authentic-only response to your post. So if you want to represent at car shows or meets, you should take that advice. Which is cool if you're into authentic stuff and you want to earn respect for your ride, but if you're like me, and don't have all the money to match your desire for 100% OEM JDM or authentic parts, and aren't too diehard about authentics, a good knock-off isn't shameful.

Go with what you want. I think that exterior mods are really fun to add, since every time you walk back to your car after a long day you'll smile because you'll feel good that your car looks kick-a$$.

So I'm with fit[vivian] on this one. Some window visors, ( JDM oem or Mugen ) or maybe DEPO Jdm style tails if you don't mind them being not authentic JDM. Some other ideas are projector headlight upgrade, save the money for some good rims, ugraded radio/sound system, clazzio seat covers, or maybe lowering springs. Lots of stuff.

Personally I have a blend of authentic/knock-off parts. I don't care though because my wallet still loves me and I love the way my car looks and drives.

Good luck!
No such thing as a good knockoff.

My wallet feels good man.jpg

Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 PM
Originally Posted by mike410b
No such thing as a good knockoff.

My wallet feels good man.jpg
Hey, try not being a douche bag. All this post was about was 300$ mods; there are authentic mods that aren't hella expensive.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:08 AM
Well "good" knock-offs would be ones that closely resemble authentic parts in my book. It is understandable that you don't believe that they exist though, because authentic is the bottom -and only- line for you. There's nothing wrong with that, its just a different approach to modding your car. Which is cool, I think its awesome you have the patience to save up for 100% authentic parts and do it right, unlike me whereas I don't have the patience nor the time, nor the desire for crazy expensive authentic parts, but I wish I did.

Old 10-11-2012, 12:24 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by FITdrummer13
Well "good" knock-offs would be ones that closely resemble authentic parts in my book. It is understandable that you don't believe that they exist though, because authentic is the bottom -and only- line for you. There's nothing wrong with that, its just a different approach to modding your car. Which is cool, I think its awesome you have the patience to save up for 100% authentic parts and do it right, unlike me whereas I don't have the patience nor the time, nor the desire for crazy expensive authentic parts, but I wish I did.
Similar appearance does not translate to similar quality.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:58 AM
5 Year Member
as much as i want to hate mike 410b for hating me, i hate the op more. knockoffs are NOT as good as the real thing, and the real thing is not as cheap as a knockoff

Old 10-11-2012, 02:19 AM
Supervillain
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
Parents take care of those for the time being (still in Graduate school)
Take your parents out for a nice dinner?

Old 10-11-2012, 07:31 AM
No one ever said knock offs were AS GOOD AS authentics. That's a given. Authentics are always better.

The only case where I think the knock off is anything close to the authentic, which most aren't, is the Depo version of the JDM style tailights. I do know that they have a pink haze in the reverse lens whereas the authentics don't. BUT you have to admit although Oem Jdm tails are better and nicer higher quality, what you get for the $130 depo tails is not bad. Good fitment, solid product, works well.

I know you guys don't believe in knock-offs and I get the feeling you're just trying to convice myself and the op that they aren't worth the time, thought, or effort, but maybe try and be less harsh about it. It makes people think you're just trying to be hurtful instead of helping them out in the long run. I understand you all though. I'm actually looking to get rid of all replica/non name brand/authentic parts and replenishing with real mods. Although it's a work in progress.

Yay rants. Hope I didn't offend anyone, really.

And go with what doctordoom said

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Cold air intake is a waste of money, unless you like noise.

Headers are a waste of money, they are not pulse tuned (if GD) and on a GE it's just a pipe as the headers are integrated in the cylinder head casting.

$300 dollar yonaka seats might get you killed and would probably fail an inspection.

A big ass wing on an otherwise stock as a rock FWD?

Really?

We still do that?

Why would you want:
A.) Greater Coefficient of drag and added weight at the top of the highest point on the chassis which hurts every performance aspect of the car

B.) Increased down-force at speed on the non-powered axle

C.) To look like a complete tool to everyone except the "JDM Bros?"

Old 10-11-2012, 10:12 AM
5 Year Member
If "coming into some money" means only $300 for you, you might want to consider if maybe a car isn't the best place to deploy it. Maybe into your savings account would be better.

Look, I don't want to be an ass. Or tell you not to enjoy yourself. Modifying a car is fun and you learn something. You didn't ask for financial advice. Feel free to ignore; it's not a personal commentary. But it IS what I think given the limited info you give

Old 10-11-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by fujisawa
If "coming into some money" means only $300 for you, you might want to consider if maybe a car isn't the best place to deploy it. Maybe into your savings account would be better.

Look, I don't want to be an ass. Or tell you not to enjoy yourself. Modifying a car is fun and you learn something. You didn't ask for financial advice. Feel free to ignore; it's not a personal commentary. But it IS what I think given the limited info you give
I second the idea of putting the money into savings, especially in this economy.

Quick Reply: Great mods for about $300