1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Keyless entry remote

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 05:41 PM
Keyless entry remote

Hi everyone. I have a 2008 Honda fit base model. I just bought it used. I assumed that my vehicle came with a keyless entry system, so I bought a 4-button remote. I cannot seem to get it programmed, so I'm starting to think that maybe my car isn't equipped with the system. So my questions are: 1) how can I tell if it is equipped with the keyless entry system and 2) if it is, did I get the wrong remote? I've read that the programming of replacement remotest for Hondas are pretty much the same. Thanks in advanced guys

Old 10-14-2012, 09:24 PM
The base 08's do not come with keyless entry. It's an accessory that you can add on. You have to get one of these
Honda Keyless Entry (Fit) - Bernardi Honda Parts and Accessories

The install is pretty straight forward though. You just plug in the receiver under the dash.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:45 PM
5 Year Member
College Hills Honda sells the kit to, probably for the same price. Just so you know you do have options!

Install is very simple, and the instructions are easy to follow. My one bit of advice is that when you go to install the receiver by the fuse panel, do the following: Move the steering wheel as far up as it will go, push the driver's seat all the way back, drop the backrest into "refresh" or as close as you can get it, lie on your back with your head under the dash, get to work. It'll take you half an hour.

One more bit of advice... Those $15 LED headlamps from the camping section at Wally World are INVALUABLE here. I use mine all the time when I'm working on my cars.

ANYWAY, you won't remember how you got along without the remote locking once it's installed. The OEM hardware has been flawless. You don't get the "beep beep" when you lock or unlock, although the lights do flash and if you press lock twice, the horn will sound. The panic button also works.

Best $120 I've spent on this car.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:08 PM
Cool, thanks. Yeah, I seen that I had the wrong remote anyway. It was a for an Accord (duh!). I'll check out the installation. I just thought it was already equipped since my anti-theft light comes on when I get out. I have a lot to learn I suppose

Old 10-17-2012, 05:46 AM
Sweet!!!! I'm so doing this to my 08 base model too!!!

Old 11-17-2013, 08:48 AM
Best key FOB

Originally Posted by madxpinklady
Hi everyone. I have a 2008 Honda fit base model. I just bought it used. I assumed that my vehicle came with a keyless entry system, so I bought a 4-button remote. I cannot seem to get it programmed, so I'm starting to think that maybe my car isn't equipped with the system. So my questions are: 1) how can I tell if it is equipped with the keyless entry system and 2) if it is, did I get the wrong remote? I've read that the programming of replacement remotest for Hondas are pretty much the same. Thanks in advanced guys
Hey you may be following wrong instructions.
See honda accurate keyless instructions : Keyless entry key programming instructions - ProgramKeyFob.com