1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Valve adjustment question

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:58 AM
5 Year Member
Valve adjustment question

Hello all, I have a 2007 Fit sport with 80k on the clock. I am the second owner, but only after 20k miles, and the original owner did just regular oil changes since it was new. The car's valves have never been checked, and there has never been a performance issue, nor have I ever heard any audible valve noise. After speaking with a local ASE Master mechanic about getting the work done, he tells me that I absolutely do not need to bring the car in. While I certainly do appreciate him being honest(he could have just said bring it in and taken my money because I was set on getting it done), I want to double check his logic here. He says that if the car has 80k on the clock, and the valves were always too tight, I would have burnt valve(s) by now and would be showing noticeable performance issues. I don't hear any valve noise at all, so he says that it is not likely too loose either. He said until you hear anything, don't bring it in, but he said when I bring it in for my next maintenance, whatever is next, they will scope the engine for any minor valve noise, and then adjust if needed. Is this all sound logic? Makes sense to me with my limited knowledge of valve trains lol..

thanks!

Old 11-16-2012, 02:55 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it makes sense. Believe it or not, some people completely ignore new and bad sounds, smells, smoke, warning lights, all sorts of indications that their engine has something wrong. Some people don't change their oil ... ever ... and then complain when their engine needs a complete rebuild at 35k miles. Go figure. In any case, recommended valve checks are for those people.

If you are not seeing any change in performance, fuel economy, smoke (this would be extreme), or (most likely symptom) valve noises, it's not really worth getting it checked except if you want your peace of mind.

I personally think that the sound of an engine is the most important indicator of health - aside from, of course, the built in OBD sensor packages :P. If it sounds like a sewing machine, that indicates to me that everything is running with the appropriate clearances. Unfortunately Honda engines these days tend to develop valve noise quickly as they find their own not-quite-perfect balance, so a little bit of clicking is considered normal.

Old 11-16-2012, 05:57 PM
5 Year Member
great, thanks! No need to spend money on something that "ain't broke". Or in this case not even near broke, as the engine sounds just as good as the day I got it

Old 11-18-2012, 12:25 PM
5 Year Member
There won't be any valve noises if they need to be adjusted. It'll be quiet. If your car has 80K on the clock I would suggest getting an adjustment. Most here who have checked the clearances have needed to adjust. There's also a good write up on this forum on how to do the job yourself.

Old 11-18-2012, 03:09 PM
5 Year Member
There is wide enough clearance on the intake valves that ticking is noticeable when cold.. The plastic intake plenum and intake air flow muffles the sound a great deal though...