1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Different Engine Ideas for the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 12:33 AM
5 Year Member
Different Engine Ideas for the Fit

Hey all!

In the past I've gotten some heat for the CRAZY notion of putting any other engine into the Fit besides a K20 or B series engine. Namely, an engine from a FF Audi TT. (it's near the same size as the K20.)

That being said, I have another said crazy idea. I was thinking the other day of the new SkyActive motors from Mazda, and the 500 Abarth's engine. They both use a new type of variable valve timing (or, new to the company at least.) similar to the V-tec system. It lets air in and out of the valves at different times to increase economy or power.

Not saying that those similarities are enough to do a complete swap right away, but I was thinking of putting the Abarth engine into a Fit and how that would work.

If any of you have though of this as well, or know someone who is attempting said swap, please let me know!

Old 01-18-2013, 12:45 AM
5 Year Member
I don't see how they will be better than you k20z variants or a k24a2...

Old 01-18-2013, 02:16 AM
The Audi 1.8T would be a nice swap.

especially if you could find a 225 edition that makes 225hp stock haha.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:21 AM
5 Year Member
No one is attempting any of those.

No one will attempt any of those.

They have no merit. The K, even in its relatively old age, is still the best option. HUGE aftermarket, HUGE power potential, cheaper every day, already been done, etc.

Oh yeah and even in stock form, a K-powered Fit would likely walk a Fit with those alternative powerplants, all while delivering superior MPG and driving fun.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM
Retired Moderator
5 Year Member
lol audi 1.8t is a terrible swap...

Old 01-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Hayabusa motor. At least make it interesting if you're going to go through the trouble.

Old 01-18-2013, 10:31 AM
Name:  1595201-oh_look_its_this_thread_again_super.jpg
Views: 2437
Size:  39.5 KB

Old 01-18-2013, 12:54 PM
5 Year Member
Ah man....

Well as long as were wishing, why not a Hayabusa based 400hp 10k+rpm V8 swap?

SPECIFICATIONS PAGE ...

Old 01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
^That thing looks sexy.

Throttle linkage may be a PITA.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
Yea the Hartley Busa 8's are wild, but expensive and when boosted put out an incredible amount of power.. you'll spend a small fortune on a clutch that can handle that torque and shift at those speeds without dragging lol

Old 01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Yea the Hartley Busa 8's are wild, but expensive and when boosted put out an incredible amount of power.. you'll spend a small fortune on a clutch that can handle that torque and shift at those speeds without dragging lol
Like I said, since were wishing

Honestly, at the 30-40k$ investment in the engine, I HIGHLY doubt an H1 would be put into a Fit EVER.

I would have thought the Busa based 4cyl H2 MAYBE (4-5K? cant remember) but on further review of the page, looks like he sold the engine tech as of 3/12 D: "The new owner will further develop the technology for race applications and plans to offer it to other markets later this year."

Old 01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
The first gens are getting cheap enough that the serious sorts of projects are starting to become more reasonable.

When we are at the point a rolling shell can be had for a couple grand.. or even available as just a shell with regularity is when shits gonna get real interesting.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 PM
5 Year Member
The first gens are getting cheap enough that the serious sorts of projects are starting to become more reasonable.

When we are at the point a rolling shell can be had for a couple grand.. or even available as just a shell with regularity is when shits gonna get real interesting.
I know where a RHD caged JDM shell is locally... SO Not in my budget though

I would really really love to see a few more seriously built fits period. I honestly don't care what's motivating them!

Old 01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
5 Year Member
I have toyed with going all out with mine since I own it already. But will probably keep it milder for now. The hard part with the first gen is by the time the chassis is cheap it will be hell to find parts for it. They just didn't seem to bring that many to the states.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:17 PM
Super Moderator
Cross platfor Engine swaps can be pretty badass. The thing about a swap like that though is you are going against the norm. In the Fits situation the K series engine is a very capable engine with an amazing aftermarket. There is no logicel reason to swap a B or D into the car. A J swap.... that would be pretty badass.

A engine from another manufacture is not impossible but you are on your pretty much on your own. Ditting on a forum talking about it will not get it in your engine bay and running. You need to dive into it and start the long road of trial and error.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:18 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by mike410b
No one is attempting any of those.

No one will attempt any of those.

They have no merit. The K, even in its relatively old age, is still the best option. HUGE aftermarket, HUGE power potential, cheaper every day, already been done, etc.

Oh yeah and even in stock form, a K-powered Fit would likely walk a Fit with those alternative powerplants, all while delivering superior MPG and driving fun.
Well, Likely is not absolutely. I would love to see an Abarth powered Fit take on a K20 fit, I think it'd be interesting and unique.

"No one will attempt any of those." I will, you lose.

"They have no Merit" Why not? It's an engine, the Fit is a car...what makes it so that these engines absolutely CAN NOT work with a Fit, or any other car.
The reason I say that is because Noble managed to put a V8 from a Volvo SUV into their M600 supercar, and it ran train on cars like a Superleggera, f430, Porsche 911 Turbo and so on.

So, if Noble can put that wonky ass engine and make it into a super car, I see no reason why I can't put a 1.4L turboed Abarth Engine into a space where a 1.5L engine should be.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by dewthedew
lol audi 1.8t is a terrible swap...
Agreed, the 1.8L was the most commonly repaired engine in the Audi dealership I work in. The 2.0L engine, however, never graced the doors of the garage.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
Cross platfor Engine swaps can be pretty badass. The thing about a swap like that though is you are going against the norm. In the Fits situation the K series engine is a very capable engine with an amazing aftermarket. There is no logicel reason to swap a B or D into the car. A J swap.... that would be pretty badass.

A engine from another manufacture is not impossible but you are on your pretty much on your own. Ditting on a forum talking about it will not get it in your engine bay and running. You need to dive into it and start the long road of trial and error.
THANK YOU! good lord, finally someone who understands what I'm saying hahaha.

Yes, I know that the forum is no place to start.

What I hoped to accomplish with this discussion is to open up new ideas for an engine into a Fit. I'm tired of the tried and true, and I wanna get crazy.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Like I said, since were wishing

Honestly, at the 30-40k$ investment in the engine, I HIGHLY doubt an H1 would be put into a Fit EVER.

I would have thought the Busa based 4cyl H2 MAYBE (4-5K? cant remember) but on further review of the page, looks like he sold the engine tech as of 3/12 D: "The new owner will further develop the technology for race applications and plans to offer it to other markets later this year."

Quite honestly, if a Hayabusa engine can be put into a Smart Car and make is beat an F430 in a drag race, anything is possible. hahahah

Old 01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
5 Year Member

Good, then my dream may have hope yet!

Quick Reply: Different Engine Ideas for the Fit