1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Different Engine Ideas for the Fit

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 02:21 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You are basically re-designing the ENTIRE CAR around your motor choice when you take a modern EFI engine and drop it into the chassis of another modern EFI engined car.

This, right here.... For the cost of the dashpak and sensors alone you could build a better FI system

Old 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
OP, Why? Why do you want to swap a engine from a different company into the Fit? I get the being different but why what are your goals for the car, what do you hope to learn, what do you want out of your car?

Old 01-22-2013, 02:35 PM
5 Year Member
This is an extreme case of engine swap, not sure if it makes sense in this thread but I couldn't help but think of this car while we are all talking

Old 01-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Super Moderator
That is one of the most horrible things I have seen, right up there with the dragon vette. is that all paint on the car.. or did they take a sawzall to it?

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 AM
5 Year Member
luckily, I'm blessed with friends who currently work for Honda, and Chrysler who would help me with the electronics. They basically help, install and program the stock ecus in the cars they build. Plus, my friend in Chrysler has made a few tuning maps of his own for his abarth. So, programming something like this would be daunting, but not impossible. Its a lot of trial and error. As for all of the fitments and housings, I'm pretty handy with a lot of different tools and building things. I helped craft a dead-space suit for my friend out of aluminum and know how to work with cutting and welding tools pretty well. Now, that suit is cake compared to this, but its a baseline at least.
as for the powersteering, I don't have any idea of how to do that right now, but you mentioned the a/c as well. That might be something I live without. Or i can build my own unit from my old unit and custom fit it.

don't worry, i have thought at least a little bit before posting this, but i realize there is MUCH more planning to be made.

oh, and I'm already starting to save for this build, and I'm up to 3 grand now. (durr just get a turbo?) nah, I like my idea better.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
It sounds like you have some pretty knowledgeable friends, it also sounds like you might be relying on there help a lot. I never could get my friends to help me with my car and they are car guys as well, but maybe I just am a shitty friend or had shitty friends.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM
The difference between a tweaking a few pre-existing maps like you would with an end-user flash-able ECU program or a piggyback.. and configuring the full standalone you need is like the difference between learning long division and multivariate calculus.

Like I said, good luck and make sure you have an enormous budget before starting. Or you are going to have one giant paperweight for a very very long time.

You would do well to pick up a $500 beater like an EF civic or something to get to and from work.

Last edited by DiamondStarMonsters; 01-23-2013 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:18 AM
5 Year Member
i was just trying to save u from feeling regret after but... cheers I give up lol

Old 01-23-2013, 05:58 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by accordguyintake
i was just trying to save u from feeling regret after but... cheers I give up lol
Originally Posted by MNfit
It sounds like you have some pretty knowledgeable friends, it also sounds like you might be relying on there help a lot. I never could get my friends to help me with my car and they are car guys as well, but maybe I just am a shitty friend or had shitty friends.
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
You would do well to pick up a $500 beater like an EF civic or something to get to and from work.
Some of the brightest people on this forum keep getting pulled into this thread.

It is BLATANTLY obvious by now that you are dead set on not listening to our progressively BLUNT suggestions.

You will certainly have a unique outcome here, but you seem to have NO concept of what your are actually proposing.

The best advice I can give you is to spend some time learning how to manage your expectations, or just like this thread, you will continually be disappointed

/unsubscribe

Old 01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
B18C Type R.

IDK sounds way cooler than any VAG motor if you're going to bother with all this work.

you could almost buy a motor already with the cash you have saved up. You want to be different, do something cool, you'd get mad e-rep in the scene, and Honda Tuning features.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:50 PM
5 Year Member
B18C/B16 will always be best sounding I4 in history.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:19 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
B18C Type R.

IDK sounds way cooler than any VAG motor if you're going to bother with all this work.

you could almost buy a motor already with the cash you have saved up. You want to be different, do something cool, you'd get mad e-rep in the scene, and Honda Tuning features.

don't get me wrong, I would love a b16 swap, and honestly I'll probably have that as a back up should my idea fail. Now, I know I know, I'm buying two motors and using one as a "trial" motor which is pretty dumb. However, I like being a bit crazy and dumb, and if it doesn't work then phooey on me. At least I tried , something unique.

but again, I love the b16 but I would rather try something even more different first.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by TPColgett
Some of the brightest people on this forum keep getting pulled into this thread.

It is BLATANTLY obvious by now that you are dead set on not listening to our progressively BLUNT suggestions.

You will certainly have a unique outcome here, but you seem to have NO concept of what your are actually proposing.

The best advice I can give you is to spend some time learning how to manage your expectations, or just like this thread, you will continually be disappointed

/unsubscribe
I am completely aware of how smart these people are, they blow my base knowledge of cars out of the water. However, this isn't a project for me,alone, I have a lot of friends who are willing to help me out. (by willing, I mean that they are the ones who helped me think of what engine to go for and which engines to avoid and how to get started etc.) they're pretty invested already into the project.

also, I take every suggestion seriously, but most of all DSM's. I've seen some of the other threads he's posted in and good lord, he's brilliant. Its be retarded of me to not listen to him.

Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
If you're trying to be unique with a B-series just know that on the other side of the world... B Series swap? - Honda-Tech I think I've overheard there being a full racing class dedicated to B series Fits

Old 01-25-2013, 03:25 PM
5 Year Member
Since I apparently I did not unsubscribe:

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/2nd-...16-anyone.html

https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...why-not-k.html

Wanderer has thrown out that idea in jest, as above these topics have been discussed...into the ground....like a certain deceased equestrian

Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM
Wanderer has thrown out that idea in jest
"Some truths, too painful or too likely to provoke, can be spoken only when the listener has been disarmed by laughter"

No B16, B18 Type R only.

Here's a pic for inspiration.

This is actually a little more feasible and would be a cool swap.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:10 PM
5 Year Member
"Some truths, too painful or too likely to provoke, can be spoken only when the listener has been disarmed by laughter"

No B16, B18 Type R only.

Here's a pic for inspiration.
I see what you did there...

+1 on this portion...

HOWEVER, no matter what B engine, the last produced models were made in 2001... in the US you can not swap an older engine into a newer chassis and have it be a legal streetable car. period.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Well, not exactly nationwide, that is going to be location specific. California has a state law to that effect though, for emissions concerns.

Here in crook county, any pre-OBD2 chassis is exempt from emissions.

Old 01-25-2013, 04:31 PM
HOWEVER, no matter what B engine, the last produced models were made in 2001... in the US you can not swap an older engine into a newer chassis and have it be a legal streetable car. period.
Yes I thought about this too but kind of figured they probably don't check anything in Kentucky.

I don't even think you can BAR a K swap in a Fit because it's a "low emissions vehicle"? Such is not the case for older Hondas because this classification didn't exist then? True/false?

Old 01-29-2013, 09:15 AM
Originally Posted by Cordizzle4life
Well, Likely is not absolutely. I would love to see an Abarth powered Fit take on a K20 fit, I think it'd be interesting and unique.

"No one will attempt any of those." I will, you lose.

"They have no Merit" Why not? It's an engine, the Fit is a car...what makes it so that these engines absolutely CAN NOT work with a Fit, or any other car.
The reason I say that is because Noble managed to put a V8 from a Volvo SUV into their M600 supercar, and it ran train on cars like a Superleggera, f430, Porsche 911 Turbo and so on.

So, if Noble can put that wonky ass engine and make it into a super car, I see no reason why I can't put a 1.4L turboed Abarth Engine into a space where a 1.5L engine should be.
You could do all those things...if you had the money and knowledge of said company. Why not strap a side winder missile to the top and call it a day..F why do people start these asinine threads..and why do I get sucked in. PS why put a 1.4L abarth motor in that makes on a good day 160HP when you could just throw a supercharger at it for 1/70th the cost and oh actually drive the thing

Quick Reply: Different Engine Ideas for the Fit