Fit Engine Modifications, Motor Swaps, ECU Tuning Reference Library for Engine Modifications, Swaps and Tuning

Engine swaps, why not the K?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator
Engine swaps, why not the K?

So I have seen a few people wanting to do engine swaps but they do not want to do a Honda K20/24 swap. This makes me wonder why? why swap a motor from another company or smaller Honda motor (d16) into the Fit?

Old 10-17-2012, 12:32 PM
5 Year Member
Old 10-17-2012, 01:06 PM
Curiosity? Imagination? Rebellion? The "scene" was founded on being different, I guess that spirit still lives on in some people? I guess i'd rather see someone try something totally irrational than read 50 build threads talking about shiny subframe braces and JDM wheels. I know these "projects" rarely get off the ground, but it's cool to see when they do.

In for answers

K series is a good base for just about any type of build IMO, I don't see why anyone would not want to use the K other than to "be different" or cost?

Old 10-17-2012, 01:27 PM
Super Moderator
I love crazy projects and things that are outside the norm. Around here off the top of my head there is a rear wheel drive, mid engine Prelude and a 01 or 02 Civic that is all wheel drive. There are also two J swapped integras, one that is turboed. I also heard rumers of a guy that wants to put a J into the back of a EF and make it mid engine, rear wheel drive.

I just dont get why someone would want to take a 1.8 or 2.0 engine from another car company when the 2.0 and 2.4 K have already been swapped and are both very strong engines for NA or boos.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM
5 Year Member
I would love a K swap but the reason people hate the K swap. $$$

Old 10-17-2012, 01:54 PM
Because we want to be unique snowflakes, whether or not it makes sense, or if we have the budget, the resources, the time, the inclination and the motivation.

But it is fun to dream. lol

Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Super Moderator
And there is absolutely nothing wrong with dreaming about some crazy swap. Because of peoples dreams we have some really cool builds and engine swaps. What does get annoying is the people that always talk about how they are going to do this swap or that build as soon as X or Y happens.

In the beginning I always said I would not K swap my car, I dreamed about it but I never talked about it or how some day I would do it. When I finally did make the decision I still really dint talk about it. I did a few months of research and financial planning. I only started talking about what I was doing when I had a really solid idea of what I was getting into and that I knew it would get started in a very short time

Old 10-17-2012, 04:59 PM
5 Year Member
I can't understand why anyone would do a non-kswap swap...although I can't understand a K-swap.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:30 PM
5 Year Member
I think it's lack of other options that keeps things simple? I mean realistically you want a newer engine than the car, and that is going to limit you to the L and K series (the low and high output Honda 4-cyls, respectively). The D-series ... just to point this out ... also spins backwards vs modern engines. Honda started from the very beginning making "reverse" engines - no reason except you obviously had to pick one of two directions for the engine when you built your first one back in the 40s - and they discontinued that around the time they designed the K/L.

Having seen one or two REAR-engine swaps documented, I think that the major issue there (aside from giving up all your rear space to mount the engine properly) is that the rears of most FWD cars aren't designed to accept driveshafts running through a) the unibody and b) the rear knuckle. Do you still call it a knuckle in the rear? in any case, in the rear of most cars, the wheel bearing usually has a shock or something inboard of it, making it tough to run a shaft into the bearing, assuming you can find a driven bearing assembly that will mount up properly anyway.

I wonder if there might actually be one more choice for engines now. There's the R-series out of the Civic. Sure, it's not going to make 160/200hp like a top-shelf K-series, but 140hp is a big increase over the 1.5L we have. And probably cheaper to obtain, and they are reliable engines that feel good to drive. Anyway, just a thought. Unless by some miracle the R-series is compact enough, the major obstacle will remain - an engine swap is a PAIN.

Putting a B-series into an old D-series Civic was easy because the engine bay was always designed to accept it. All you needed to buy was the engine/trans/ecu/etc PLUS engine mounts. The fact that the K requires cutting and welding to fit keeps it out of the comfort level of most

Old 10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Or.. just boost the L-series.

Parts currently exist to make more power than an unprepped GD or GE chassis can really use..

And, its quite cost-effective in contrast to a swap as well.

Old 10-17-2012, 11:06 PM
5 Year Member
All valid points and reasonable explanations. In reality all motor builds can be costly depending on what you want to do and realistically speaking if you have the cash. That said, I got tired of the D series in the 90's and in the 2000's i got tired of the L series. Relatively speaking now, from the B series of the 90's to the K series of the 2000's they are close in numbers (tq/hp) depending on what motor you take into consideration. What ever you deiced to do just do it well and love it.

Personally, there is no replacement for displacement. While the two fits i own abide by that rule, I never stopped respecting what a D or L series can do. I will continue to build hondas and change with the times. After all i know this wont be the end all motor from honda... just look what they did to the newer k series motor, it has an integrated exhaust manifold with the head. that is why i have a K24z3 matted to a RSX tranny. Only thing that doesnt work with the motor is the passenger side mount with the hasport kit i have.

As soon as I find a turbo that will fit the motors exhaust port and a passenger side mount that works with the hasport kit ill put it in, dyno it, and see what the motor can do.

until then keep dreaming, dreams do come true said the owner of two kpowered Fits

Old 10-18-2012, 12:36 PM
Super Moderator
^^ DAMN! I did not know you had two K swapped cars

Old 10-18-2012, 02:41 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by DiamondStarMonsters
Or.. just boost the L-series.

Parts currently exist to make more power than an unprepped GD or GE chassis can really use..

And, its quite cost-effective in contrast to a swap as well.
I guess the question was about swaps but realistically this is the way to go, isn't it? If like most people your goal is to keep your current car and just go faster, and you want to keep the price down to a reasonable level?

I have often toyed with the idea of buying an old Civic hatch and learning to build and tune a low-pressure turbo D-series; I figure that would be low risk. But then I remember that I have a car that is much safer and comfortable than that already, and I discard that possibility. :P

My understanding though is that tuning the GE is a lot harder than it used to be on other cars? Meaning that piecing together the build is the "easy" part and then the real work starts? Not an expert on this as I haven't read up on it; only have seen in passing what people are discussing in threads.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:39 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by MNfit
^^ DAMN! I did not know you had two K swapped cars
check my build thread, I put up a picture of the new fit. Well its like you said, i got tired of saying when i get money im going to do blah blah blah. So i stopped posting about what i wanted to do, got my money straight, started my build it slowed down because parts were not coming in fast enough so i then purchased another fit that was already k swapped and now i am finishing up my build. hopefully if all goes well it should be done end of next month.
Ill be hitting up Diamond Star Monster for a nice turbo set up. Hopefully he wont be to busy.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:58 AM
Super Moderator
This thread is not ment to be a L15 with Boost vs Engine Swap. I think if your goal is just some more power then deffintly boost the L15. I was looking to see what other people thoughts where in swapping something other then a k into the fit. As far as I can tell, if you are doing a engine swap there is no reason to do by thing othere then the k motor. Unless of course you want to try and shoehorn a J motor in there, know that would be pretty badass.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:07 AM
A small Kubota 3cyl turbo-diesel would be tits.

Or the N22, but we've had a thread on that already, the Kubota 800cc or 1100cc has a better chance at fitting by a long shot, and it probably would not be too much a stretch to have someone like Bill Hincher fab a bell-housing plate, flywheel adapter and then have an input shaft made.

Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 AM
Banned
I don't why people not using K I used it and everything is just fine with it. I have no problem!!!

Old 12-19-2012, 09:46 AM
comes down to money I'm sure for the most part.

I do not see a better option out there IMO

Old 12-20-2012, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator
The K is a great motor and in my opinion the only real option for a swap into the Fit. I am just wandering why would someone want to try to put another motor into the car, like say a D series or a 2.0/2.4 motor from another car.

Old 10-02-2013, 03:56 AM
5 Year Member
Sometimes the class you are running in accepts 1.6L N/A enginesbut not 1.8 or 2.0. Hence one of our clients had us do the B16B (EK Civic Type R) swap. Great front/rear balance and pretty unique to boot. About 1600cc and still 200hp after tuning.

Quick Reply: Engine swaps, why not the K?