1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Jolt when coming to standstill - 2008 automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Jolt when coming to standstill - 2008 automatic

Hi All

Our 2008 Honda Fit automatic has been jolting to a standstill for a while and after taking it to 2 garages (not honda) the problem hasnt been solved.

To give you and idea, If I turn the ignition and put it into drive with the brake on there is a slight jolt as the revs increase and then they dip back down.
Then if I drive off and then come to a standstill at some traffic lights unless you are very gentle with the brakes it will come to a sudden halt and feels like something has knocked you from the back. It seems worse when its wet or cold but still does it when the car has warmed up and the weather is good.

From what i`ve read on other posts i`m guessing its perhaps a throttle problem, transmission or possibly brakes?
I checked the transmission oil and the level is fine but it is a slightly orange appearance, the 2 garages I took it too said it was fine.

Thanks

Paul

Old 06-08-2013, 03:02 PM
5 Year Member
Motor mount could also cause a problem like this. I've not heard of engine mounts being problematic on Fits, but I'm relatively new to this forum and will bounce this to the experienced members here. Any ideas?

Old 06-09-2013, 01:43 AM
Banned
Is this a CVT? If it is it's your "start clutch". Sometimes a fluid change to the very latest CVT formulation will cure it.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:21 AM
My 2008 fit automatic NON CVT does this exact same thing you described, I think its just how they are. Its the worst when u first drive the car but after you warm it up real good it goes away significantly but u can still feel it.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:33 AM
Originally Posted by bargainguy
Motor mount could also cause a problem like this. I've not heard of engine mounts being problematic on Fits, but I'm relatively new to this forum and will bounce this to the experienced members here. Any ideas?
I do notice that when I first start up in the morning and shift from park to reverse there is a jolt then. But i wouldve thought if its engine mounts there would be a knocking on acceleration or de-acceleration

Old 06-26-2013, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Is this a CVT? If it is it's your "start clutch". Sometimes a fluid change to the very latest CVT formulation will cure it.
Sorry but any idea how I can tell if its CVT? I havent come across that term before, pardon my ignorance.

Old 06-26-2013, 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by fitomatic
My 2008 fit automatic NON CVT does this exact same thing you described, I think its just how they are. Its the worst when u first drive the car but after you warm it up real good it goes away significantly but u can still feel it.
Having owned the car for 3 years I can say its not normal, there is a slight shunting noise when changing from park to reverse for example and a jolt that is quite strong. Same as when coming to a standstill on braking, but the braking jolt comes and goes.
It does seem worse when cold, but its still there even when warmed up.

Thanks

Old 06-26-2013, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by pr1970
Having owned the car for 3 years I can say its not normal, there is a slight shunting noise when changing from park to reverse for example and a jolt that is quite strong. Same as when coming to a standstill on braking, but the braking jolt comes and goes.
It does seem worse when cold, but its still there even when warmed up.

Thanks
So you get the jolt when engaging reverse from drive and park? if I were you I would take it to the dealership and give them a really hard time until they figure out what's wrong because my Jolt only happens when coming to a stop and you can feel like going from 2nd to 1st that's the only jolt I get

Old 06-27-2013, 03:21 AM
Banned
Since you are in the UK with a GD 99.9% sure it is a CVT.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks. Problem is i`m 2 1/2 hours drive from my nearest Honda garage so having to use local mechanics. Perhaps i`ll try the oil change suggest.
Also, it couldnt be something as simple as brakes could it. I dont seem to have any jolts when the car is on the move, just when its at or coming to stand still.

Old 08-23-2013, 03:28 AM
i am having the EXACT same problem on my 2008 honda fit base model automatic transmission (im in the USA) a mechanic at my local quick lube place suggested a transmission oil change for 70 bucks. should i go for it? i have 55k miles on my fit

Old 08-23-2013, 06:54 AM
Thanks,Think i`ll give the transmission oil a go. The problem is certainly worse when its cold or wet, was that your case or all the time?
Have taken it to 3 garages and all of them said the gearbox oil is fine and it shouldnt need replacing. Even though I said it was low, its actually on the very tip of the dipstick. But i keep seeing messages relating to having this problem and an oil change.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:17 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by pr1970
Hi All

Our 2008 Honda Fit automatic has been jolting to a standstill for a while and after taking it to 2 garages (not honda) the problem hasnt been solved.

To give you and idea, If I turn the ignition and put it into drive with the brake on there is a slight jolt as the revs increase and then they dip back down.
Then if I drive off and then come to a standstill at some traffic lights unless you are very gentle with the brakes it will come to a sudden halt and feels like something has knocked you from the back. It seems worse when its wet or cold but still does it when the car has warmed up and the weather is good.

From what i`ve read on other posts i`m guessing its perhaps a throttle problem, transmission or possibly brakes?
I checked the transmission oil and the level is fine but it is a slightly orange appearance, the 2 garages I took it too said it was fine.

Thanks

Paul

I have twoi poissibilities:
1. the 'shift' into low range is delayed thus being more noticeable. You can check technical bulletins from Honda or dealer check the ECU programming.
2. the throttle linkage adjustment is a bit sloppy which causes the 'takeup' to be aburpt. Thats fairly easy to do yourself cause a dealer or sho will charge you for that as 'usual wear, tear, and adjustment'. I like this one best.
If the problem were brakes I would expext possible from starting but not stopping.

Old 08-23-2013, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by mahout
1. the 'shift' into low range is delayed thus being more noticeable. You can check technical bulletins from Honda or dealer check the ECU programming.
2. the throttle linkage adjustment is a bit sloppy which causes the 'takeup' to be aburpt. Thats fairly easy to do yourself cause a dealer or sho will charge you for that as 'usual wear, tear, and adjustment'. I like this one best.
If the problem were brakes I would expext possible from starting but not stopping.
It coule be the throttle linkage, i`ve had a few times pushing the accelerator there was a delay before the revs kicked in. Any instructions on adjusting this?

Thanks alot

Old 08-23-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned
Originally Posted by mahout

AH dude the USDM Fits DO NOT have throttle linkage they have DBW drive by wire.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Just to update on this problem. Its seems to have fixed itself. Havent had any problems for a few months now. So god knows what it was. Fuel line problem? ALthough i`d have thought that would be noticeable all the time , especially on acceleration. But it was only at standstill.
Strange.

Old 12-12-2013, 10:03 AM
If it re-occurs, pop the front end on a jack and attempt to rotate the tires by hand. if there is slop in teh cv shaft, allowing a slight thunk or clunk, I would say a bearing on one of the joints probably was very dirty and somehow got cleaned up.

Check cv shaft boots for damage

Old 12-14-2013, 06:43 PM
I have no experience with CVT, but if I owned a CVT I would want to know when it last had a CVT oil change. Check your manual for recommend change time intervals.

Also you need to check the oil is at the right level. Under filling is as bad
as over filling. Check your manual maintenance section for the correct level. I would only use Honda transmission fluid as spec'd in the owner's manual, NOT some xyz brand the local mech uses. It all comes down to the additives they put in the oil.

I think Honda have discontinued the CVT transmission for their current Jazz range in favour of a torque converter type automatics.

When I owned an automatic (torque converter type, not Honda) and I experienced minor difficult shifting between gears at start up, I changed the transmission oil and everything was super smooth.