1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

[HELP] - Extended Wheel Hub Stud Options/Opinions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2013, 09:41 AM
[HELP] - Extended Wheel Hub Stud Options/Opinions

Hello there guys,

How are we all?

Okay I've got a 2003 Honda Jazz/Fit GLi (AUSTRALIAN DELIVERED MODEL) & was wondering what the Factory OEM Wheel Hub Stud lengths are?

Because I am having issues with fitting my 15x8 (+7) wheels on my fronts as its hitting the caliper brakes...

What are my option guys? & where can I source these parts if need be? I need all the help I can get please...

I'm not sure whether or not I will need to run 5mm spacers?

& or need to upgrade my factory oem wheel hub studs?

But anyways... If you guys can help a fellow JAZZ member out would be much & most appreciated

Old 11-01-2013, 01:36 PM
Two sources of studs, which may also be available in Oz: ARP Wheel Studs - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS and http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...-rh/make/honda.

What is the make and model of the wheels you are trying to use? The offset is quite far off the stock US spec 15x6 wheels, i.e. 55mm. Most likely it is the shape of the wheel that is causing the problem. Depending on where the wheel is hitting the brake caliper, you might be able to file part of the caliper casting to obtain clearance, which only needs to be 1-2mm. Though you may need to have the tires rebalanced or single plane balanced depending on where the weights are located.

You may need to roll the fenders depending on the camber that you are running.

Old 11-01-2013, 02:10 PM
Administrator
3mm or 5mm spacers could be used and the stock studs would more than be long enough for you.

All depends really how severely your wheels are hitting the calipers, as stated above some wheel designs just don't work with our cars

Old 11-01-2013, 07:47 PM
Originally Posted by palos
Two sources of studs, which may also be available in Oz: ARP Wheel Studs - Free Shipping on All Orders @ JEGS and http://www.summitracing.com/search/d...-rh/make/honda.

What is the make and model of the wheels you are trying to use? The offset is quite far off the stock US spec 15x6 wheels, i.e. 55mm. Most likely it is the shape of the wheel that is causing the problem. Depending on where the wheel is hitting the brake caliper, you might be able to file part of the caliper casting to obtain clearance, which only needs to be 1-2mm. Though you may need to have the tires rebalanced or single plane balanced depending on where the weights are located.

You may need to roll the fenders depending on the camber that you are running.
The wheels I'm running are WORK WHEELS EQUIP 03 [15x8] [+7] [O-DISK]
& where its actually hitting is the face of the rim...
Also thanks for the source of wheel studs much & most appreciated heaps

Originally Posted by Waizzz
3mm or 5mm spacers could be used and the stock studs would more than be long enough for you.

All depends really how severely your wheels are hitting the calipers, as stated above some wheel designs just don't work with our cars
Hrmmm... I think I should give a 5mm spacer a shot & see how I go... But I still don't think it will be long enough once I put the wheel on & then put on the nuts... As I won't have enough to tighten them... I hope that makes sense...

Old 11-01-2013, 07:52 PM
Also which wheel stud do I choose or need for my Jazz? If I was to get or need some?

Old 11-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Originally Posted by C.K.H
The wheels I'm running are WORK WHEELS EQUIP 03 [15x8] [+7] [O-DISK]
& where its actually hitting is the face of the rim...
Also thanks for the source of wheel studs much & most appreciated heaps

Hrmmm... I think I should give a 5mm spacer a shot & see how I go... But I still don't think it will be long enough once I put the wheel on & then put on the nuts... As I won't have enough to tighten them... I hope that makes sense...
I believe most cars you can get away with anything smaller than a 10mm spacer without upgrading the studs

I am running 5mm spacers on my rear wheels and it has more than enough room to be able to torque down the lugs properly

Old 11-03-2013, 10:12 PM
I believe most cars you can get away with anything smaller than a 10mm spacer without upgrading the studs

I am running 5mm spacers on my rear wheels and it has more than enough room to be able to torque down the lugs properly
Its not the rears I'm worried about...

Its the fronts...

Old 11-03-2013, 10:53 PM
anything over 5mm should have longer studs!!

Old 11-03-2013, 11:51 PM
Originally Posted by 13fit
anything over 5mm should have longer studs!!
Would you know what the stock factory lengths of the stud are?

Also any that you would recommend?

I think most likely I'm going to get 3mm & 5mm spacer to start & try off with & if it clears the brakes then that's one thing cleared & completed & out of the way & then next will be the stud...

But open to any suggestions, opinions & options etc...

I need all the help I can get guys

Old 11-04-2013, 12:57 AM
Before buying spacers, just go down to the hardware store and buy a stack of washers that have a inner diameter at least 12mm. You can then measure what minimum size spacer you need.

Also go to a tire store and see if they have a 12mm taper seat lug bolt from a BMW. With the lug bolt inserted in one of the holes, count the number of threads showing on the opposite side for both wheels. The depth of the center section of the wheels can vary.

Adding the spacer width and the difference between the center section width, if any, will provide how much longer the stud needs to be. A parts store should be able to give you the overall length of the stud. The Dorman site does include your car. Most Hondas, including the 2007 Fit use the following:

M12-1.50 Serrated Wheel Stud - 12.22mm Knurl, 36mm Length
Thread Size: M12-1.5
Knurl Diameter (In): 0.4811
Shoulder Length (In): 0.3543

You may want to contact Sttich who has them on his car in Oz. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...thread-13.html

Last edited by palos; 11-04-2013 at 01:11 AM.
Old 11-04-2013, 02:02 AM
Administrator
Originally Posted by C.K.H
Its not the rears I'm worried about...

Its the fronts...
Makes no difference....

Old 11-04-2013, 02:22 AM
Originally Posted by palos
Before buying spacers, just go down to the hardware store and buy a stack of washers that have a inner diameter at least 12mm. You can then measure what minimum size spacer you need.

Also go to a tire store and see if they have a 12mm taper seat lug bolt from a BMW. With the lug bolt inserted in one of the holes, count the number of threads showing on the opposite side for both wheels. The depth of the center section of the wheels can vary.

Adding the spacer width and the difference between the center section width, if any, will provide how much longer the stud needs to be. A parts store should be able to give you the overall length of the stud. The Dorman site does include your car. Most Hondas, including the 2007 Fit use the following:

M12-1.50 Serrated Wheel Stud - 12.22mm Knurl, 36mm Length
Thread Size: M12-1.5
Knurl Diameter (In): 0.4811
Shoulder Length (In): 0.3543

You may want to contact Sttich who has them on his car in Oz. https://www.fitfreak.net/forums/fit-...thread-13.html
Damn!! Wish I saw this before I got the spacers

Makes no difference....
Fair enough.

Well I manage to get a 3mm & 5mm slip on spacers from a local car parts store & tried 3mm to start off with & still doesn't clear the caliper & then tried the 5mm its still doesn't clear & hits... Combined them both to make 8mm it just barely clears... As in its still very close & in contact... But no stud thread to put the nuts on...

So i'm thinking I might either need a 9mm or 10mm spacer with extended studs...

What do you guys think or suggest??...

Also massive thank you for all your help, support & tips guys, much & most appreciated heaps!!!

Old 11-04-2013, 02:45 AM
Banned
Buy new wheels that fit.

Old 11-04-2013, 04:42 AM
5 Year Member
Isn't there some point where too much spacer will cause major fatigue problems on the studs and strain on suspension to point of something breaking?

Sounds like the OPs wheels just wrong for a Fit.

Old 11-04-2013, 06:45 AM
Originally Posted by loudbang
Buy new wheels that fit.
I'm not giving up that easy... I'm gonna make these wheels fit...

Originally Posted by Black3sr
Isn't there some point where too much spacer will cause major fatigue problems on the studs and strain on suspension to point of something breaking?

Sounds like the OPs wheels just wrong for a Fit.
& I'm not gonna run both those spacers on... It was just for measurement & test fitment...

& come on guys there must be ways or options... Cause there are heaps of slammed Jazz with crazy spec & offset wheels.

Old 11-04-2013, 07:20 AM
5 Year Member
Well if they don't fit with both 3 and 5 together you will need even wider. I will wait for the pics of a broken studs and/or suspension.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:03 AM
Just get 10mm bolt on spacers as long as there is a recessed section for the stock studs to sink into on the back of the wheels. You will need that because the stock studs are longer than 10mm, so they will protrude from the bolt on spacer. Yes those Equips have flat faces with no curve so this problem doesn't surprise me.

That puts the offset at -3? I'm not sure how you're going to fit 15x8 -3 and make it look good, but I am interested to see the results. I'm expecting a serious pull, wide fenders or flares, all of which would be cool IMO.

Offset that far off stock will put added strain on the bearings, especially with the spacers, i'm not saying don't do it, just saying premature bearing failure is a possibility so expect it.

Old 11-04-2013, 02:26 PM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by Wanderer.
Just get 10mm bolt on spacers as long as there is a recessed section for the stock studs to sink into on the back of the wheels. You will need that because the stock studs are longer than 10mm, so they will protrude from the bolt on spacer. Yes those Equips have flat faces with no curve so this problem doesn't surprise me.

That puts the offset at -3? I'm not sure how you're going to fit 15x8 -3 and make it look good, but I am interested to see the results. I'm expecting a serious pull, wide fenders or flares, all of which would be cool IMO.

Offset that far off stock will put added strain on the bearings, especially with the spacers, i'm not saying don't do it, just saying premature bearing failure is a possibility so expect it.
He should order a set of bearings now. Can the fenders be pulled far enough for this width 8" and offset? Whatever going to look ugly.

Old 11-04-2013, 03:18 PM
I think the most extreme on pulled fenders i've seen was 15x8 +15 for GD? Had to shim the rear axle for camber and pull the hell out of the front. It looked pretty good but an extra 20mm of poke is a bit much I think.

Way too much work IMO to fit these Equips. I'd just sell them and get some A Disc Equip 03s. That is the reason you're having caliper issues, it's the disk design. The A Disc faces have an extra 10mm of caliper clearance.

Here for reference:
http://workwheelsusa.com/media/wheel..._03_SPEC12.jpg

Old 11-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Administrator
If you can clear with 8mm spacers just go with a set of 10mm spacers and extended studs from here:

Lug nuts / wheels studs for the 2007+ GD Honda Fit / Jazz | Password JDM