1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

$4 Castrol Transmission fluid on Amazon, Any Good??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2014, 06:03 PM
5 Year Member
$4 Castrol Transmission fluid on Amazon, Any Good??

Hi, I saw this: Ive been using amsoil, and honda products, but now, Im changing it Often ( every 15K I drain out 3 Qts) and I feel I wasting Money. I saw this
:
Amazon.com: Castrol 06814 Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart: Automotive Amazon.com: Castrol 06814 Transmax Import Multi-Vehicle Automatic Transmission Fluid - 1 Quart: Automotive

Any one use this? Good Price?? Thoughts.
Thank you,
CS

Old 02-19-2014, 11:01 PM
Depends on who you ask!

If you ask any of the manufacturers of multi vehicle trans fluid they will all tell you its good for any vehicle they list on the bottle. If you ask trans builders some will tell you yes and some will tell you no.

So far I havent said anything that will help you. I know, but I wanted to give you what I have heard from those sources directly.

Heres the difference between multi vehicle and OEM specific fluids. Trans fluid is a hydraulic oil that has both detergents and friction modifiers added to it when its made.

The detergents keep the parts in the trans clean and do their job of washing the dirt and sludge through the trans so it doesnt build up and keep the valves, servos and other moving parts from sticking and creating problems.

The friction coefficient of the friction modifiers allow a certain amount of slippage of the torque converter and the clutch packs. That is where a difference can sometimes be felt when you use multi vehicle formulas. The trans is designed to use the OEM fluid which allows the correct amount of slippage. The multi vehicles fluids cant possibly match all the manufacturers expectations but they are generally close. Many people will never notice the difference. Trans builders and techs are more likely to notice the difference.

I use OEM fluids in my own cars because I have felt the differences on some cars over the years that we have done complete fluid exchanges on. I prefer not to deal with that on my own cars so I go with OEM fluids since I would notice the difference.

My recomendation would be to use OEM fluid.

Last edited by 2010FitSport; 02-19-2014 at 11:08 PM.
Old 02-20-2014, 03:11 AM
5 Year Member
Every 15k miles? I mean, that's not really necessary in my opinion.

Talking about fluids, I never go cheap on 'em. Heck, spend a few more bucks and get some reputable quality stuff or even OEM.