1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Trying my luck... Voltage/electrical problem.

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2014, 08:53 PM
Trying my luck... Voltage/electrical problem.

I drive an 08 sport and sometimes at night I notice a slight flicker from the headlights. Thought I was just seeing things so I usually don't mind it. But then I went to a drive thru the other night and the lights started to flicker again every time the rpms dropped. I'd pull forward then it would flicker when the rpms drop again. Then on the way home it was a steady flicker. Last week I got my alternator and battery tested and both tested good. It's been getting worse. Just wondering if anyone has this problem or knows what's going on? I did install the larger battery that fits with some modding. Any help is appreciated.

Also, the dome light flickers as well when I get in before putting the keys in the ignition.

Last edited by ALLDAYKK; 11-05-2014 at 08:56 PM.
Old 11-05-2014, 10:37 PM
Check the battery connections—make sure they're clean and tight, and the cables are in good shape.

Some degree of flickering is entirely normal, but it sounds as though this has rather suddenly become much more than it was before. If the battery was rather more discharged than usual and you hadn't driven far enough to recharge it yet, then it may still be normal behavior; but I'd still do at least a quick check of the connections.

Old 11-06-2014, 12:29 AM
Originally Posted by DrewE
Check the battery connections—make sure they're clean and tight, and the cables are in good shape.

Some degree of flickering is entirely normal, but it sounds as though this has rather suddenly become much more than it was before. If the battery was rather more discharged than usual and you hadn't driven far enough to recharge it yet, then it may still be normal behavior; but I'd still do at least a quick check of the connections.
Hi, thanks! Well my connections are good and my battery is putting out 100+ more cca then rated for so I'm not sure if it could be the battery..

Old 11-07-2014, 03:07 PM
Do you have halogen lights or HIDs?

Old 11-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by DWils
Do you have halogen lights or HIDs?
Halogen, the zxes. They had the slight flicker before I switched them out though. At idle the lights are fine, its just when the rpms drop and when I'm on the free way going over 65

Old 11-12-2014, 01:35 PM
5 Year Member
Have you done your recall for flickering lights??

Old 11-13-2014, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by doctor J
Have you done your recall for flickering lights??
Whoa, no idea there was one for flickering lights? Just got one for power steering and master door switch? The recall you speak of is for the 07-08??

Old 11-13-2014, 10:17 PM
5 Year Member
Sounds like classical symptoms of malfunctioning alternator or battery.

If you installed a known good battery and drove around, with symptoms present, then you couldn't have eliminated the batter from the suspected causes.
Checking them by load testing is not always reliable. Also you are saying your problem has been developing gradually (also suggests deteriorating battery).

Finally, how old is the battery, has it ever been completely discharged, left unused for extended periods of time?

Old 11-13-2014, 11:03 PM
5 Year Member
Yes, it affects my car (07) as well. The low beams may flicker or go out on some cars. Please search this forum for relevant information..

Old 11-14-2014, 01:36 AM
This is normal on hondas. My 98 prelude sh bought new did this as well. It happens usually when the a/c compressor 2nd cooling fan trips on. The headlights brighten when you blip the throttle and dim as rpms come down. All a Honda trait. If you dont like it, swap out the 55watt halogens for lower wattage HIDs which are only 35 watts if you didnt know ;-). Only the super HID kits are 55watts. My advice is to go on Amazon.com and get a 35watt bi-xenon kit. For those that say buy name brand, thats on you but the kit i bought were 45-50 bucks and have a 3yr warranty. I'll be glad to share the amazon link to them. But again the 35watt HIDs reduces the strain on the small engines small alternator to keep up with the power demand of your car. Add a stereo/amp/etc, makes the small alternator even harder to fulfill the power needs of stereo, headlights, and a/c compressor. Civics from back in the day (92-00) with the d15/d16 engines did EXACTLY the same thing as your car and other fit owners cars are doing. I hope this helps but first go out side turn on car at night with headlights and a/c on. You'll hear the a/c compressor even cycles on/off a lot because the engine is so small. when compressor comes on, the headlights will dim. Blip the throttle and i promise u those 55 watt halogens will brighten. Keep me posted guys with this issue. But again i'd upgrade to 35watt HID's.

Old 11-14-2014, 11:50 AM
5 Year Member
I wouldn't want to use HID in this headlight housing as it is not designed for it. Anything other than the intended bulb will create a distorted reflective pattern and end up poorly illuminating the road and blinding other drivers in the process. Many will disagree but I consider this as one of the more important mod to avoid and keep stock.

When it comes to dimming, it shouldn't be doing that either. That is what a voltage regulator is for. If your accessories are stock, the alternator should always have enough power to supply them without any flickering or dimming. The battery of course needs to be good as it helps during idling. I know mind never flickers with or without AC (to compensate for increase load of AC being on, the engine increases revolutions automatically).

Old 11-14-2014, 11:01 PM
My lights flicker when I have the air vent knob turned to blow air on the windshield. Either of the last 2 settings causes it for me. Before I was having flickering going on all around at random times. Turned out to be a corroded ground cable that went from the engine the the body

Old 11-15-2014, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by blackrandom
My lights flicker when I have the air vent knob turned to blow air on the windshield. Either of the last 2 settings causes it for me. Before I was having flickering going on all around at random times. Turned out to be a corroded ground cable that went from the engine the the body
That might be my problem because I used the defrost tonight and it started flickering.

Old 11-15-2014, 12:56 AM
Thanks is for all the replies going to have the grounds checked. One more thing I forgot to mention. My low beams also flicker when reversing??? Anybody else?

Old 11-17-2014, 10:13 PM
5 Year Member
Okay.

Okay... I know this takes a leap of faith and I don't know if you will trust me as a total stranger on the internet, but here goes.

It is a bad voltage regulator on the alternator. I know they said it was not the alternator. They told me that too. They checked and did everything... i had every symptom you have and eventually started to blow bulbs left and right , inside and out and even started to stall occasionally when it got really bad. You will see it detailed in my post history.

Ignore Honda, I don't know why they can't detect what is wrong, but if you replace the alternator (and maybe the battery depending on if it has been damaged by the bad regulator) your problems will go away INSTANTLY. Mine did.

Best of luck

Old 11-18-2014, 02:11 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by john21031
Sounds like classical symptoms of malfunctioning alternator or battery.
Bingo. I already replaced the alternator in my 2007, myself and an Acura technician literally diagnosed every potential problem, including the known TSB.

I eventually bit the bullet, took a risk, and replaced the alternator which was my original thought, and it addressed and fixed all issues.

Old 02-13-2015, 03:02 AM
Originally Posted by Desmond Lamar MacRae
This is normal on hondas. My 98 prelude sh bought new did this as well. It happens usually when the a/c compressor 2nd cooling fan trips on. The headlights brighten when you blip the throttle and dim as rpms come down. All a Honda trait. If you dont like it, swap out the 55watt halogens for lower wattage HIDs which are only 35 watts if you didnt know ;-). Only the super HID kits are 55watts. My advice is to go on Amazon.com and get a 35watt bi-xenon kit. For those that say buy name brand, thats on you but the kit i bought were 45-50 bucks and have a 3yr warranty. I'll be glad to share the amazon link to them. But again the 35watt HIDs reduces the strain on the small engines small alternator to keep up with the power demand of your car. Add a stereo/amp/etc, makes the small alternator even harder to fulfill the power needs of stereo, headlights, and a/c compressor. Civics from back in the day (92-00) with the d15/d16 engines did EXACTLY the same thing as your car and other fit owners cars are doing. I hope this helps but first go out side turn on car at night with headlights and a/c on. You'll hear the a/c compressor even cycles on/off a lot because the engine is so small. when compressor comes on, the headlights will dim. Blip the throttle and i promise u those 55 watt halogens will brighten. Keep me posted guys with this issue. But again i'd upgrade to 35watt HID's.
Late reply but got a question. So got my alternator replaced and the flicker and minor problem are gone! But I'm interested in the 35w HID conversion. Still got that link? And thanks for the help and everybody else who replied!