1st Generation (GD 01-08) The one that started it all! Generation specific talk and questions here!

Slight idle issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 07:26 PM
5 Year Member
Okay so rock auto is a total of $281 shipped for the 4 ignition coils. Guess there is HST on them. I better not get hit with duty afterwards. The hitachi ones on the website say only for US market vehicles. There is no different between the U.S and CDN model? Cause I'm going to pull the trigger on these. Get em before it gets super cold. Fuel mileage will get better too.

Hope this fixes the hesitation. I replaced my plugs, I'm now going to replace the coil packs. This better do the trick or this is $400-$500 on unless stuff. I hope not.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 11-27-2014 at 07:55 PM.
Old 11-28-2014, 01:07 AM
5 Year Member
Originally Posted by GinoLicious
Okay so rock auto is a total of $281 shipped for the 4 ignition coils. Guess there is HST on them. I better not get hit with duty afterwards. The hitachi ones on the website say only for US market vehicles. There is no different between the U.S and CDN model? Cause I'm going to pull the trigger on these. Get em before it gets super cold. Fuel mileage will get better too.

Hope this fixes the hesitation. I replaced my plugs, I'm now going to replace the coil packs. This better do the trick or this is $400-$500 on unless stuff. I hope not.
My philosophy is that if you paid a mechanic to do most stuff, you'd be spending way more anyway. Lemme know if the coils fixes your MPG. I'm tempted to do mine since I'm at 90k KM on original coils.

Old 11-28-2014, 08:38 AM
5 Year Member
I will let you guys know how the hesitation resolves and the MPGs.

I am buying aftermarket ones this weekend. Going to install them. See if it cures the hesitation issue. If it does will return them and order the OEM ones. Do not want to order oem and have them not fix the issue. It's like when I replaced my spark plugs last weekend. $100 for nothing. Lol. If it fixed the issue going to be a bit of time before I get the oem ones and then I will report once again if MPGs went up. This wI'll be a few week process. Hopefully today the hesitation is fixed. Screed me getting on the highway today in third gear just took a bit of time to accerlation and it was not smooth.

Another thing you may want to look into is replacing the PCV valve. This will definitely improve MPGs of yours is clocked. You have to take off the intake manifold and replace the manifold gasket as well. A huge hassle of you ask me.

Latest update:

New diagnosis. The coils are being ordered. I'm driving to buffalo to pick them up. Left my house today. Shifted from 1-2 real smooth. Then as I'm in second, I go to floor it. Huge hesitation. Seemed to hesitate twice. I now know this issue is too real and prominent. Used Lucas oil and 94 octane. Thought it helped. I was wrong. Coils next to be replaced. Hopefully I get them before its too cold. It's an easier fix than a pcv valve.

When unplugging each coil pack the car runs shit. Some cylinders worse than others. So now I'm not even sure if it's my coils causing my acceleration issue. I'm not sure if I should grab one coil oppose to 4. Try and save money.

Issue has been fixed. Read below:

So I have to say is that after driving my car with a misfe for 4 weeks it was a pain. Now when I start my car it roars to life, does not shake and actually accelerates. Yeah the fit it slow to begin with, but no longer hestitaes. I had a cylinder 2 misfire. Yesterday on my way to work car started hesitating bad. I gave it gas and the engine light flickered and went away. On my way home I gave it hard a second time when the engine light flickered, light stayed on and I got a code. Cylinder 2 misfire. Today I swapped coil 2 with oem. And ell she's running mint. Time to enjoy that 94 octane.

My symptoms prior to getting and engine light for about a month:

My coils had 172,000km on them.

1. Car hesitated when accelerating. Almost like turbo lag
2. Car would shake at idle.
3. Revs would slightly increase at idle when car shook.
4. Car seems a little weak when the key was turned at start up.
5. When accelerating hard huge hesitation, engine light would flicker, would not stay on.
6. After pulling coil 2, I noticed it was grossly black and smelt bad. Suspected it was bad when I did my plugs but no code and the hesitation was very minimal back then.

Have the above issues and no engine light? You are more than likely misfiring. It's an easy fix. Just drove me mad for a month.

Last edited by GinoLicious; 12-02-2014 at 07:29 PM.